Inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BHChieftain View Post
    Back to the which uni next-- how does the KH's 27.5 Duro Crux 3.25 tire feel on pavement? For the next 1.5yrs I'll be primary on smooth bike paths.

Chief
    I have a similar tyre but on a Nimbus and mine is 29" Duro Crux 3.25. I commuted to work on it for over 6 months and it handled pavement fine. Course at the time I only had a 20" to compare it to. Now I've been riding a 36"/127 for a while, I jumped on my old Nimbus today to try it out since it's been a while. First thing I noticed is I have tons of control with a smaller wheel and longer cranks but it is so slow by comparison. If you want to go fast you will have to work harder but it's not slow compared to a 20/24" and you can achieve reasonable speeds which will have you out of your comfort zone initially.

Since you're used to a 24" you probably won't notice the wide tyre being hard/slow and on 27.5 " it will be faster then your 24". In saying that you probably don't want to go too fast when you're still learning so it might be a positive. The wide tyre really does shine in rough terrain though, ride it through grass, gravel, mud etc and it doesn't feel much slower then riding on pavement. You can add a handle bar too to get a bit more speed and stability for longer rides.
    Last edited by Unigan; 2020-01-27, 07:24 AM.
    DRS 5'20" Giraffe || Nimbus II 24" || Nimbus Muni 29" || Kris Holm 36" Road

Comment

Back to the which uni next-- how does the KH's 27.5 Duro Crux 3.25 tire feel on pavement? For the next 1.5yrs I'll be primary on smooth bike paths.

Chief
      I've done near 5000 km on my KH29 with the Duro Crux 3.25", almost all being road and cycle path. I would love to have a lower resistance tyre, but really it's not a deal breaker. I guess my top speed is lower and I'm burning some extra energy going places, but I have a wonderful tyre that feels great on rough ground and the crap roads/footpaths around.

Unicyles === compromises.

I run 25 PSI on smooth road, 20 on rough road/footpath and 18 off road, but each pressure is still fine on other surfaces. I can't do serious muni, but pressure would be lower still for that. That's a lot of surfaces for one tyre.

Some of my Strava personal records are still on that 29, not on the 36, so I wouldn't call it slow.

Handling on road is different from other unicycle tyres, I always have a transition period when switching unicycles where my turns are unstable (maybe it's just me). Wear is also a factor, I got about 3200km before canvas was showing and nobody here keeps that tyre in stock (municycle.com.au got it in no trouble).

The KH29 with the Duro is still my favourite unicycle, I'm sure the 27.5 is just as good.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback-- if folks thought the 3.25 tire was not that great on pavement then I'd probably stick with the 29 or 32 road uni for now. But if the 27.5 is ok on pavement but just slower, then that's no problem (I think I would be more sensitive to riding feel vs. speed).

Chief

Comment

• My Qu-Ax 27.5 Muni came with the Maxxis High Roller II 2.4 tire.
          Markings say it takes up to 65 PSI.

Comment

• Hit a major milestone today-- I was able to get to the bikepath for the first time and ride 2 miles! The path has a very slight uphill grade overall, but has some undulating parts and a few relatively steep (for me) inclines. Took me a bit to be able to static freemount in such a narrow area in the beginning but I figured it out. Got a few long stretches in without "the burn" especially on the return leg which was slightly downhill, plus my legs were tired which forces me to sit in the seat more...

I'm guessing I dismounted 20 times over the distance. Fell twice but not too bad.

Chief

Comment

Hit a major milestone today-- I was able to get to the bikepath for the first time and ride 2 miles! The path has a very slight uphill grade overall, but has some undulating parts and a few relatively steep (for me) inclines. Took me a bit to be able to static freemount in such a narrow area in the beginning but I figured it out. Got a few long stretches in without "the burn" especially on the return leg which was slightly downhill, plus my legs were tired which forces me to sit in the seat more...

I'm guessing I dismounted 20 times over the distance. Fell twice but not too bad.

Chief
              Excellent progress! Your choice of 24 inch unicycle to learn on has been validated, small enough to learn on but big enough to get some distance.
              20" Nimbus (Black, White Tire)
              26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")

Comment

• Good Job Chief, sounds like it's coming together for you, it won't be long now and you will be making that 2 miles with no UPDs and just stopping to get ready for the next 2 miles
                24" Torker LX
                29" UDC Trainer
                32" UDC trainer

Comment

• My upgrade arrived...
                  =8^)

Chief
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Well don't leave us hanging what's in the box?

Comment

• Well, I decided to try a mountain uni, and settled on the KH 29 instead of the 27.5 , mainly because

1) I will ride 80% paved bike paths and maybe 20% unpaved roads or really easy trails. I just don't see myself doing anything technical on the mountain.

2) I'm 6' tall with long legs.

However, there was a problem with the uni-- I spent about 15 minutes trying to get the seatpost in the frame. Eventually I got it in an inch or 2 at which point it then got stuck. My wife and I stabilized the wheel (me on 1 side, she on the other) and after about 5 minutes of twisting the seat back and forth we worked it back out. I felt inside the frame tube and it had some pretty bad gouges inside.

I sanded the inside of the frame post, cleaned it out, and put in some grease, and I got the post in, but still with a lot of effort.

Then, I had trouble mounting the brake handle to the seat. Seemed like a very simple operation, slide the handle over the little post under the seat and tighten the allen bolt. I got the bolt down pretty tight but the brake still would just slide off the post. So I gave the bolt another little turn, at which point the brake handle cracked at the bolt holes.

I really like the steel frame on my 24 nimbus, and the seat post is smooth and easy to adjust with no grease. And after looking at the monster 3+ inch tire on the KH29 it is a bit overkill for my application so I'll probably replace it for a simple nimbus 29 road, with the steel frame and no brake...

Hopefully I won't have any hassle on the return.

Chief

Comment

Well, I decided to try a mountain uni, and settled on the KH 29 instead of the 27.5 , mainly because

1) I will ride 80% paved bike paths and maybe 20% unpaved roads or really easy trails. I just don't see myself doing anything technical on the mountain.

2) I'm 6' tall with long legs.

However, there was a problem with the uni-- I spent about 15 minutes trying to get the seatpost in the frame. Eventually I got it in an inch or 2 at which point it then got stuck. My wife and I stabilized the wheel (me on 1 side, she on the other) and after about 5 minutes of twisting the seat back and forth we worked it back out. I felt inside the frame tube and it had some pretty bad gouges inside.

I sanded the inside of the frame post, cleaned it out, and put in some grease, and I got the post in, but still with a lot of effort.

Then, I had trouble mounting the brake handle to the seat. Seemed like a very simple operation, slide the handle over the little post under the seat and tighten the allen bolt. I got the bolt down pretty tight but the brake still would just slide off the post. So I gave the bolt another little turn, at which point the brake handle cracked at the bolt holes.

I really like the steel frame on my 24 nimbus, and the seat post is smooth and easy to adjust with no grease. And after looking at the monster 3+ inch tire on the KH29 it is a bit overkill for my application so I'll probably replace it for a simple nimbus 29 road, with the steel frame and no brake...

Hopefully I won't have any hassle on the return.

Chief
                        Ok to get a nimbus 29. Maybe later down the track get a brake.
                        But, you might still enjoy the KH29 with its fat tire, if you give it a good go.
                        If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

Comment

Well, I decided to try a mountain uni, and settled on the KH 29
                          Nice choice! My favourite unicycle, and 90% of my riding is on road. Solid, light and with a wonderful bouncy Crux 3.25" tyre, however that tyre does have some rolling resistance on payment.

Fast enough for on road, controllable for rough ground (or my local footpaths) and in the right hands, fine for muni (not me sadly).

I had no issues with assembly, quality product. Added a T-bar and 117/137 cranks. Adjust the tyre pressure and crank length as required and it is a go anywhere machine.

Comment

• I wouldn't worry about the brake at all, you've got the exact same wheel as my 29", Although the 29" is faster then the 24" you will soon get used to and comfortable with the speed and even downhill you can easily control it without a brake unless you're going down some really steep hills and in that case you just bail off the back. Hope you've honed your rear dismount skills as dismounting from the front on a higher uni frequently I found put a bit of stress on my knees.

Shame you're having trouble putting it together have you reached out to UDC? So you're going to return it? Hope it goes smoothly for you.
                            Last edited by Unigan; 2020-02-15, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Hi,
                              Yes, I wrote them my friday night, so they should respond on Monday.
                              I did some searching and it looks like I have this problem:

http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1546603

Anyway, I took my Nimbus 24 to another section of the bike trail by my house (got another 2miles in, this time long stretches with no dismounts!) , and it was in pretty bad shape--lots of bumps which made it tricky on my high pressure road tire on the 24. There are also extended bits of unpaved single track right next to the paved section. So, I think I'll stick with the KH29 plan. Hoping UDC will square it away for me.

Chief

Comment

• I shipped the KH29 back to unicycle.com and they confirmed the frame seatpost tube had a finishing problem-- they are shipping me a new one (and they checked it out before shipping it). Great customer service!

I decided to stick with the KH29 with the Duro tire mainly because last week I went to the *other* section of the bike trail and it was in pretty sorry shape-- I got bounced around pretty good on my street 24...

Plus there are a lot of sections where I can ride offroad.

Chief

Comment

Working...
                                X