Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your spouse support or oppose your Unicycling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Gockie View Post
    Anyway, prior to this job I was working for a teeny tiny banking organisation you may have heard of.... it’s called “CBA”.... I was a Report Developer at CBA using SSRS, Teradata and SQL Server. Great people there and I had the best manager.
    I only hope you were not responsible for the AML compliance system at CBA. Could be worse though, AML at Wespac.

    Next week it is NAB's turn at mea culpa.

    Small is good. I actually wrote our original AML monitoring system.
    Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2019-11-29, 12:16 PM.
    Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
      I don't have that problem with my lights.
      Very soon after I got some very good lights from Aldi. Super bright. And I bought a helmet from EBay that has a very bright light at the front, lights at the sides and at the rear! Easy recharging via USB. Ok, the helmet doesn’t have Australian standards label on it, but the lights are good and it is a very well made helmet.
      This is it, just over $70:
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS...U/163038954870

      Or:
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS...-/163838235453
      Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-29, 12:32 PM.
      If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Gockie View Post
        System Documentation is needed in case you get hit by the big red bus....
        Im a SQL Developer, and its really not easy to pick up what goes on, what is used where, what the code is used for, why the code was written as it is. Before I started there 2 years ago, it was all done by one really smart guys for 8 years but there was no documentation. Now thats me. The business would be in trouble if I wasnt around.

        Any suggestions on how to make it easy/easier?
        Is the big red bus white before you get hit?

        Writing documentation makes you expendable. I'm glad we don't have time to write it. That is why I could keep my job even, when choosing to move back to my own country. Not only did I want to move back because I wanted to live closer to my family, but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands. Unfortunately I now live in the one place of NL where it is quite hilly still. Oh well, I've become a lot better and now they are a good workout.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Setonix View Post
          Is the big red bus white before you get hit?

          Writing documentation makes you expendable. I'm glad we don't have time to write it. That is why I could keep my job even, when choosing to move back to my own country. Not only did I want to move back because I wanted to live closer to my family, but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands. Unfortunately I now live in the one place of NL where it is quite hilly still. Oh well, I've become a lot better and now they are a good workout.
          I'm thinking documentation is hard, and over time databases grow, new tables, views, stored procs get added. Things get forgotten about. The database systems I've inherited, most of it doesn't have explanation either. As my company never had separated test and prod systems and it was all done by one smart guy (who stored all the knowledge in his head and nowhere else), i'm sure there are many unnecessary legacy objects in databases too. I suppose if the business doesn't force you to document it's potentially a ticking time bomb for the company.

          I've had to learn a lot quickly in this role and I'm generally comfortable with what I encounter at work now, but there are just so many existing objects in the databases (and whole databases for that matter) that I do not know why they are there. And if I don't know, no one knows.

          Anyway, way back in the early and mid 2000's I was working for Amex. With the GFC I was made redundant. In my small team, I was the technical one. I struck up an agreement that if they needed me to do something, Amex would engage me as an Independent contractor with contracting rates. That worked well.

          Denmark and The Netherlands are awesome countries to ride in... probably the best in the world. I was amazed to see in Denmark the roundabouts have separated bike lanes too... that's brilliant.
          Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-29, 08:51 PM.
          If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by BruceC View Post
            Pick doesn't exist any more
            Well, Pick Systems no longer exists as Pick Systems (it's been through Tiger Logic, Raining Data, it's currently Rocket Software). And native Pick no longer exists (as far as I know - support for AP ended in 1999), but flavours like D3 and mvBase are still going strong.

            Guess what I do for a living
            http://www.redpedals.co.uk
            "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
              I only hope you were not responsible for the AML compliance system at CBA. Could be worse though, AML at Wespac.

              Next week it is NAB's turn at mea culpa.

              Small is good. I actually wrote our original AML monitoring system.
              Shush! Yes, I did that. I commented out that crucial code.... Plus wrote a routine that puts all partial cents (From savings account interest calculations) into my own personal accounts.... Due to this code I wrote I'm a... drumroll please.... A Trillionaire

              I think small banking institutions fly under the radar and was subject to less scrutiny, but I don't know for sure. I would think that the Big 4 spent a lot of money defending their cases at the Royal Commission. Employed top legal talent to argue their cases.

              ** In case any readers do not understand emoticons, I had nothing to do with the ATM code used at CBA nor did I apply any cent rounding code for personal or business gain (but I heard/read about that growing up)! Anyway, I was kidding on both counts
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-30, 09:15 PM.
              If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Danny Colyer View Post
                Well, Pick Systems no longer exists as Pick Systems (it's been through Tiger Logic, Raining Data, it's currently Rocket Software). And native Pick no longer exists (as far as I know - support for AP ended in 1999), but flavours like D3 and mvBase are still going strong.
                There are at least three of here who work with Pick derivatives?
                Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

                Comment


                • #68
                  My first wife (we were in our 20s) was supportive. We had various hobbies and gave each other space to do these things. I did Morris dancing and unicycling; she played flute and went sailing.

                  My second wife knew I unicycled before we met. We met through a dating website. The first time she saw me ride a unicycle, she thought it was cool. Since then, we've done a couple of rides with her on 2 wheels and me on 1, but it was a bit of a mismatch. She had a brief go at riding unicycle, but had a nasty fall and lost her nerve. Both her sons (now my stepsons) taught themselves to ride, and we now sometimes ride together.

                  I'm not a world relationships expert, but I think couples have to respect each other's different interests and hobbies. However, hobbies have to take second place to domestic and family duties.
                  My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Gockie View Post
                    Any suggestions on how to make it easy/easier?
                    Document. Setonix mentioned how not documenting is job security, but isn't that kind of selfish and anti-company? Anyway, it probably reflects that he hasn't been "that guy" that has to take over a non-documented system that's not easy to figure out...

                    But if you want to be sneaky, you can create your documentation in your own personal code, where it doesn't make sense to the casual observer. Then, if the need arises for someone else to know all your secrets and you *aren't* leaving the company, you can easily convert it for easier reading.
                    Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                    ...but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands.
                    Denmark has hills???
                    Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
                    ...I think couples have to respect each other's different interests and hobbies. However, hobbies have to take second place to domestic and family duties.
                    100% agree. If domestic and family duties are thought of as secondary, especially if you have children, this is going to lead to relationship damage.
                    John Foss
                    www.unicycling.com

                    "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Supporive!

                      Supportive! I already new she was (my first unicycle was a Christmas present from her, admittedly at my request), but she proved it last week by agreeing I go to Unicon in France next summer! No questions asked except I arrange childcare with my mum for my eldest daughter after the school holidays start.

                      The stars had already aligned when a group of friends invited me for a weeks mountain biking in the French Alps, the same week as the start of Unicon. This is too good an opportunity to miss, I thought - first half of the week on two wheels, second half I can catch the start of Unicon, the XC and maybe the DH, and share accomodation close enough to Grenoble to be viable.

                      Anyway, the only stumbling block for many men to a plan like this could often be 'the wife', but in my case apparently not (maybe because I don't call her 'the wife' ) : )

                      PS the observant among you will notice this is my first post - I have been lurking for a long time - sorry - but finally joined up and looking forard to getting to know you all!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by MuniEmu View Post
                        Supportive! I already new she was (my first unicycle was a Christmas present from her, admittedly at my request), but she proved it last week by agreeing I go to Unicon in France next summer! No questions asked except I arrange childcare with my mum for my eldest daughter after the school holidays start.

                        The stars had already aligned when a group of friends invited me for a weeks mountain biking in the French Alps, the same week as the start of Unicon. This is too good an opportunity to miss, I thought - first half of the week on two wheels, second half I can catch the start of Unicon, the XC and maybe the DH, and share accomodation close enough to Grenoble to be viable.

                        Anyway, the only stumbling block for many men to a plan like this could often be 'the wife', but in my case apparently not (maybe because I don't call her 'the wife' ) : )

                        PS the observant among you will notice this is my first post - I have been lurking for a long time - sorry - but finally joined up and looking forard to getting to know you all!
                        Awesome MuniEmu!

                        Question. Where are you? Emus are Australian, and Grenoble is far away....
                        If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Thanks Gockie!

                          I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenoble... so when I was trying to think up a user name, I have just got a new pickup truck (ute?), and the registration number kind of says EMU (well is starts with an E and has an MU) at the end. The quickest way to a personalised registration plate, is to change your name right?

                          I wanted to use OldManEmu, after the off-road suspension people, but thought MuniEmu was more appropriate! Plus I am not that old (41)...

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                            Denmark has hills???
                            In Jutland around Aarhus there are hills. On the west-coast it is as flat as NL, but I didn't live there.

                            Even though we don't have so much time documenting, I add comments in the code, so document and code are merged together. I expect from any new colleagues joining the team to take notes when I explain stuff to them and the rest they should figure out by themselves. We are a small team and in the past 12 years I have mostly written new code. Lucky me.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by MuniEmu View Post
                              Thanks Gockie!

                              I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenoble... so when I was trying to think up a user name, I have just got a new pickup truck (ute?), and the registration number kind of says EMU (well is starts with an E and has an MU) at the end. The quickest way to a personalised registration plate, is to change your name right?

                              I wanted to use OldManEmu, after the off-road suspension people, but thought MuniEmu was more appropriate! Plus I am not that old (41)...
                              so you're saying you can't get a personalised numberplate in the UK? When I lived in Denmark, I bought a car and had SETONIX on my numberplate. It was expensive to register, but I thought well worth it. Around 1500 EUR. Reminding me of IT people earning too much money

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by MuniEmu View Post
                                I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenoble...
                                wait until the UK drifts away at the end of January and then It will take longer (tears: I will pay more for my tea and morning scones )
                                One Wheel : bear necessity
                                (Abuello RodoMancat)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X