No announcement yet.

Game changer - 36er CARBON wheel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't imagine that a lite Nightrider on a skinny rim would feel very wide as they're pretty round as it is. I know you love weirdly skittish tyres but thinner 36" tyres sounds pretty awful!
    "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

Originally posted by mowcius View Post
      I can't imagine that a lite Nightrider on a skinny rim would feel very wide as they're pretty round as it is. I know you love weirdly skittish tyres but thinner 36" tyres sounds pretty awful!
      It doesn't look or feel any narrower with the carbon rim. And I don't know what you mean when you say I "love weirdly skittish tires". 🤔
      Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
      Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
      -Dani Buron

Website
      Videos
      Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
        It doesn't look or feel any narrower with the carbon rim. And I don't know what you mean when you say I "love weirdly skittish tires". 🤔
        The skittish tyres comment was directed towards Piece Maker, but it's interesting that you don't find it feels any narrower. What PSI are you running?
        "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

Originally posted by mowcius View Post
          The skittish tyres comment was directed towards Piece Maker, but it's interesting that you don't find it feels any narrower. What PSI are you running?
          Somewhere between 55 and 60 PSI on the road, and around 30 PSI for Muni
          -Dani Buron

Website
          Videos
          Facebook

Comment

Here's a shot of the nightrider lite Tire on the carbon rim.
            The second shot shows the carbon rim next to the stealth rim and you can see there's really no difference in the width. Can you guess whether the carbon rim is on the left or right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191114_104455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	2461882

Name:	IMG_20191114_110354.jpg
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	2461883

Btw, the weight of the original NR wheelset, minus disc, cranks and pedals is 10lbs!

Name:	IMG_20191114_111940.jpg
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	2461884
            Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-11-14, 07:20 PM.
            -Dani Buron

Website
            Videos
            Facebook

Comment

On my muni I have a 32mm (external) rim and a 2.35 tyre. I must admit that I've often wished for a wider rim to improve stability.

Totally different wheel and tyre on the 36er though, so maybe a narrow rim is fine there.

Didn't the Quax 36ers come with a 32mm rim at one point? Do they still do so?
              Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Btw, the outer diameter of the carbon Rim is 33.5mm vs 42mm for the stealth ll.
                -Dani Buron

Website
                Videos
                Facebook

Comment

My 36er Rim has an outer diameter of only 24.5mm. It rides without any problem. I ride it with high pressure on the road. So for sure the 33.5mm diameter of the carbon wheel is no problem at all... with high pressure on the road.
                  Niels
                  20", 24", 36" Schlumpf, Twice
                  Penspinning

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkicycling View Post
                    My 36er Rim has an outer diameter of only 24.5mm. It rides without any problem. I ride it with high pressure on the road. So for sure the 33.5mm diameter of the carbon wheel is no problem at all... with high pressure on the road.
                    Which 36er rim has such a super narrow width? Must be the Alex 787x25.
                    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-11-14, 10:39 PM.
                    -Dani Buron

Website
                    Videos
                    Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                      Which 36er rim has such a super narrow width? Must be the Alex 787x25.
                      Well I don't read german but it looks like his own creation

Comment

Originally posted by ruari View Post
                        Well I don't read german but it looks like his own creation
                        English version :
                        https://translate.google.fr/translat...ostcount%3D129
                        - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
                        - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
                        - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
                        - Qu-ax trial 19"
                        -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

Yup, the rim is my own creation. For Aluminium waiting is over. I avoided showing special tools in my report. So feel free to go to your workshop and create your own custom rim right now!
                          I investigated how to create carbon wheels. But for carbon I guess it is better to wait for what other people create for us.
                          Niels
                          20", 24", 36" Schlumpf, Twice
                          Penspinning

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkicycling View Post
                            Yup, the rim is my own creation. For Aluminium waiting is over. I avoided showing special tools in my report. So feel free to go to your workshop and create your own custom rim right now!
                            I investigated how to create carbon wheels. But for carbon I guess it is better to wait for what other people create for us.
                            This is fantastic! I'd been meaning to do the same thing for years. I'm glad someone else beat me to it and proved the concept!
                            My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

Hello Terry!

I have some questions about the nimbus 100mm 32-hole disc hub and the spokes (I'm in the process of purchasing the rim, the hub and the spokes). I read on facebook you use 367mm spokes.
                              I used the UDC spoke calculator (https://www.unicycle.co.uk/calculator) with an ERD of 745mm and the dimensions of the nimbus 100mm 36-hole disc hub (the 32-hole hub is not in the list, I don't know if they're exactly the same...).
                              Results : 361.12mm for the disc side, 362.44mm for the non disc side. I
                              Did I make a mistake? 362mm spokes will be too short?

Moreover the angle of the spokes for the disc side, it is about 2.7°. Wasn't it difficult to build the wheel? Does the wheel look solid?
                              Indoor training on a 24" freewheel unicyle

Comment

Originally posted by toutestbon View Post
                                Hello Terry!

I have some questions about the nimbus 100mm 32-hole disc hub and the spokes (I'm in the process of purchasing the rim, the hub and the spokes). I read on facebook you use 367mm spokes.
                                I used the UDC spoke calculator (https://www.unicycle.co.uk/calculator) with an ERD of 745mm and the dimensions of the nimbus 100mm 36-hole disc hub (the 32-hole hub is not in the list, I don't know if they're exactly the same...).
                                Results : 361.12mm for the disc side, 362.44mm for the non disc side. I
                                Did I make a mistake? 362mm spokes will be too short?

Moreover the angle of the spokes for the disc side, it is about 2.7°. Wasn't it difficult to build the wheel? Does the wheel look solid?
                                361 would definitely be too short. It was a fairly easy build and I just use the same length for both sides.
                                -Dani Buron

Website
                                Videos
                                Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X