Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips for a newbie?

Here are pictures of my first unicycle.

I bought it probably 10 years ago. I brought it back to my office and, trying to mount, I flew in to the whiteboard only to limp away with a nasty mark on my shin.

I didn't touch it again for many years except to replace the saddle and seat post. Every once in a while I'd pick it up but get no where.

But this fall is the time. I've started working about 45 minutes a day. I started on a chain link fence. I've moved to balancing on a truck in my driveway and just trying to pedal away. I'm up to a fairly frequent 1.5 revolutions with an occasional 3 to 4. I'm starting to feel the possibility of balance. Just before I start trying to pedal, I feel a fraction of a second balanced with a slight lean forward to start moving. I'm hopeful. I'm resigned to it just requiring a lot of time. But if you have any tips, I'd love them.

My tire is old. I'm missing some spokes. The pedals look like tools from the inquisition. But I don't know if any of that impedes the learning process.

Thank you in advance,
    Attached Files

Originally posted by adamcanderson View Post
    My tire is old. I'm missing some spokes. The pedals look like tools from the inquisition. But I don't know if any of that impedes the learning process.

Thank you in advance,
    Seems like you're well underway. In your case I would stick with the uni you have. Once you can ride 100 metres and then some, you might start looking for a stronger uni. when you just start it is just about getting used to the balance. The size of the uni is good for a learning uni.

just keep at it and even though it can be extremely frustrating, persistence will get you through.
    I learned through tons of youtube videos and a 2 your practice every evening for 3 weeks. Some peeps here are much faster than that and others slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Setonix View Post
      I learned through tons of youtube videos and a 2 your practice every evening for 3 weeks. Some peeps here are much faster than that and others slower.
      I was a pretty slow learner. I practiced every day 1-2 hours. It took me about 6 weeks to ride the 1/4 mile loop around my neighborhood without dismount. During that time, I also devoted a lot of practice to free mounting.

Adam, welcome to the forum! Sounds like your attitude has changed from 10 years ago. You understand, perhaps, that this is going to take practice. On behalf of all the other riders, let me say that the practice time is worth it, because unicycling is super fun!

Sounds like your unicycle is a real piece of junk. Whether or not that matters at this point in your progress...is debatable. You'd have to run a controlled experiment with many subjects, some riding crappy unicycles, some riding nice ones...to answer that question. If you can learn on your POS unicycle, then you will have bragging rights on the forum.

You mentioned the pedals. Are they smooth or grippy? For beginners, I think grippy pedals are a bad idea. It's better to slide off the pedals in the early stages of a UPD (un-planned dismount) than to remain stuck on the pedals then do a face plant or fall onto your back. Make sure your pedals are threaded tightly onto the crank arms and that the direction of tightening for both pedals is the same as the forward rotation of the wheel.

Good luck!

Comment

Here is a photo of Adamcanderson's uni:

The key to learning is persistence, keep at it.

Comment

Thank you all. I appreciate it. Here's hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
            Sounds like your unicycle is a real piece of junk.
            At least the saddle seems decent!

Comment

Adam, I live in Chandler and have plenty of more modern uni's that I'd be happy to let you try out. PM me some contact info and we can set up a time and place to meet, if you're interested.

Comment

You should replace the missing spokes if youre riding that thing. All the best in learning to unicycle.
                20" UDC Club Unicycle - Orange

Comment

Hi Adam,
                  What you have is a Classic Schwinn 24", that's from 1980 or earlier. Later ones had square taper (cotterless) cranks. It uses a non-standard tire, so when shopping for a replacement you're going to have to dig around, like on Amazon or eBbay, for 24 x 1 3/4" tires that fit the Schwinn S7 rim. You cannot use 1.75" tires; this "tire math" doesn't make sense, but it's true. Those tires can be found; just make sure you're not buying one that's as old as your current one. That tire will be fine until it gives up the ghost, though.

Spokes should be easier. You can probably get them done at a bike shop, maybe inexpensively depending on if the replacements can be threaded in without taking anything apart.

Your unicycle is about 100 times better for learning than the one I learned on (Troxel, 16" hard plastic tire, tricycle cranks and less). During my struggle on the old Troxel, I had one opportunity to get on a Schwinn, just like yours. In that one attempt I went hundreds of feet; way better than I had done on mine at that point.

So don't blame the equipment; unicycles are just hard to learn. But well worth it. Make sure your seat is not too low. You don't want to have a lot of bend in your knee when the pedal is at the bottom, but you also don't want it to be locked out all the way straight either. Just a little bit of bend.

Don't quit, and you will learn. Those Schwinns last virtually forever if they aren't abused too much, so future generations might learn on it later on.
                  John Foss
                  www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by AzTinbender View Post
                    Adam, I live in Chandler and have plenty of more modern uni's that I'd be happy to let you try out. PM me some contact info and we can set up a time and place to meet, if you're interested.
                    AzTinbender,

Thank you for the offer. For now, I'll give it a go with what I've got. But I may take you up on your offer later, assuming I ever conquer this thing. Where do you Muni? I just rode Hawes and TRW trails yesterday (2 wheels) and wondered how anyone would do those on a uni. Also, how is climbing on unis? Could anyone climb and descend Usery Pass if, for example, they wanted to ride the Tour de Mesa event on a unicycle?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoLeftFeet View Post
                      You should replace the missing spokes if youre riding that thing. All the best in learning to unicycle.
                      Thank you, 2 left feet.

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                        Hi Adam,
                        So don't blame the equipment; unicycles are just hard to learn.
                        Thank you, John. I appreciate the information. Like everything else, it's just time and work, right? We'll see if I've got what it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by adamcanderson View Post
                          AzTinbender,

Thank you for the offer. For now, I'll give it a go with what I've got. But I may take you up on your offer later, assuming I ever conquer this thing. Where do you Muni? I just rode Hawes and TRW trails yesterday (2 wheels) and wondered how anyone would do those on a uni. Also, how is climbing on unis? Could anyone climb and descend Usery Pass if, for example, they wanted to ride the Tour de Mesa event on a unicycle?
                          I have MUni'ed a lot of Hawes and all of TRW. My favorite rides when I was 2 wheeling. Now that you can't park on the Bush Highway, I mostly ride south Mountain for MUni. I have ridden Usery Pass on my 36". I did the 17 mile loop starting at the park and ride on Power. I plan on doing it again, now that it's cooling off here.

Any time you want to get together let me know. I don't mind doing park sessions with beginners. I usually work on my idling and going backwards. And I love to sit around and talk uni. It's good for beginners to work with others. Even if it's just once in a while. I greatly improved when I started working with two people that had less experience than I had at the time. I think it's just the exchange of ideas that really helps. I may see something that can help you, you may even see something different that I can try.
                          I've been working with two beginners in Scottsdale and I've really been enjoying it. If you want, I can let you know the next time we all get together and you can join us. One of them, I believe, is at about the same level you are, the other is a bit further along.

Comment

Thank you, Tinbender, I'll PM you. And again, thank you all for the info and encouragement. This evening I rode, several times, almost 30 meters. I was very excited.
                            Last edited by adamcanderson; 2019-11-03, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 00Maria223
                              I am learning about how to ride a Unicycle too. Can you tell me any tips about it? This is also my new hobby. Thank you.
                              Hello Maria! Welcome to the Unicyclist forums. People here are very helpful and encouraging. I'm fairly new too (been riding for a few months, but I'm a slow learner), and I've have excellent advice from the regulars. Tell us a bit more about yourself -- what unicycle do you have? What stage are you at? What are you having trouble with?

The first tip, which you will hear from everybody, is just keep trying. If you can't ride yet, every practice session brings you closer to the time when you can.
                              Last edited by Richard C; 2019-11-06, 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
                              20" Club (Orange, White Tire)
                              26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")

Comment

Working...
                              X