Handle saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@MuniAddict:
    I'm no engineer but I remember Archimedes' lever principle.
    Can you really pull a little hard or put some weight on that long handle without tearing off its attachment?

Comment

Here it is flipped upside down. After a test ride I prefer this position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190917_155841-600x800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2461762
      Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
      Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
      -Dani Buron

Website
      Videos
      Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Garp View Post
        @MuniAddict:
        I'm no engineer but I remember Archimedes' lever principle.
        Can you really pull a little hard or put some weight on that long handle without tearing off its attachment?
        Definitely seems to be solid. It's held by the same bolts used for a lift handle or KH brackets. If necessary, I guess I could reinforce it with a couple of U brackets.
        Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-17, 11:29 PM.
        -Dani Buron

Website
        Videos
        Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post

Definitely seems to be solid. It's held by the same bolts used for a lift handle or KH brackets. If necessary, I guess I could reinforce it with a couple of U brackets.
          I'd worry about it failing - when you push down, all the stress is going to be at that forward bolt, where there's a hole drilled top and bottom to weaken things. That's a recipe for fatigue failure, even if it's solid enough in the normal sense.

Probably be fine for me, since I don't ride much, but not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
            I'd worry about it failing - when you push down, all the stress is going to be at that forward bolt, where there's a hole drilled top and bottom to weaken things. That's a recipe for fatigue failure, even if it's solid enough in the normal sense.

Probably be fine for me, since I don't ride much, but not for you!
            Time will tell.
            -Dani Buron

Website
            Videos
            Facebook

Comment

Time will tell.
              People are always so worried about failing parts here.. They don't usually lead to spectacular bails, just regular ones.

The "Schwanzus Longus"-style handle ("Biggus Dickus" in German) is quite popular with a few riders I know. Although commonly a shorter version than MuniAddicts. U Bolts through the seatbase are how they attach them , and it seems to work.

I've yet to ride a handle saddle for a longer distance, I liked it a lot for trials, and on a Muni I tried it for a few minutes. Wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought.

I don't think there is a good way to use my index finger on the brake with the handle saddle, which I kinda think is the "correct" finger to use, so that would be a big issue for me. Other than that, ergonomically, it makes a lot more sense than the conventional seat and plastic handle. I'm also not a fan of the KH T-Bar design, since my own spin on Murphys law is: "Anything that can be adjusted, will go out of adjustment frequently."
              In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

I redesigned the setup so now the wood insert that fills the recessed area is attached directly under the saddle via the existing four bolt pattern. And the handle has now been attached in the center using two pipe straps. Everything now comes out in one piece and is very easy to install without needing to remove the saddle cover. If I want to flip the handle 180 I simply remove the screws from the center of the straps, flip it 180 and reinsert screws in the corresponding holes on the other side. Out for a test ride and this modification is super sturdy.

Name:	IMG_20190918_151624-600x800.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2461763

Name:	IMG_20190918_152900.jpg
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	2461764
                Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-18, 10:30 PM.
                -Dani Buron

Website
                Videos
                Facebook

Comment

I redesigned the setup so now the wood insert that fills the recessed area is attached directly under the saddle via the existing four bolt pattern. And the handle has now been attached in the center using two pipe straps. Everything now comes out in one piece and is very easy to install without needing to remove the saddle cover. If I want to flip the handle 180 I simply remove the screws from the center of the straps, flip it 180 and reinsert screws in the corresponding holes on the other side. Out for a test ride and this modification is super sturdy.

[ATTACH]72964[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]72965[/ATTACH]
                  Reckon it's an improvement.
                  Now if it was to fail, I reckon it would be at one of these spots where the pipe strap attaches. I'm going off an assumption it's attached screwed into the wood piece or plastic only. If the screws are really long, then I reckon it will be fine.
                  Attached Files
                  If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
                    Reckon it's an improvement.
                    Now if it was to fail, I reckon it would be at one of these spots where the pipe strap attaches. I'm going off an assumption it's attached screwed into the wood piece or plastic only. If the screws are really long, then I reckon it will be fine.
                    Those are machine screws and they go all the way through with holes countersunk on the other side for the corresponding lock washers and nuts so it's pretty secure. But because wood can crack I am planning on making a mold with J-B Weld to replace the wooden insert. If that turns out not to be satisfactory then I will find a piece of half inch nylon or polyethylene and cut that out to the same shape.
                    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-19, 01:51 AM.
                    -Dani Buron

Website
                    Videos
                    Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by finnspin View Post
                      People are always so worried about failing parts here.. They don't usually lead to spectacular bails, just regular ones.

The "Schwanzus Longus"-style handle ("Biggus Dickus" in German) is quite popular with a few riders I know. Although commonly a shorter version than MuniAddicts. U Bolts through the seatbase are how they attach them , and it seems to work.
                      Having an aerobar break with your weight on it, on a geared road uni, is pretty much a worst case failure - result would likely be a high speed faceplant into a rock hard road surface. Ugh.

U-bolts sounds like a pretty good way to attach a bar - no holes drilled in the bar, and bolt spreads the load out instead of concentrating it at single already weakened point.

Comment

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
                        Having an aerobar break with your weight on it, on a geared road uni, is pretty much a worst case failure - result would likely be a high speed faceplant into a rock hard road surface. Ugh.

U-bolts sounds like a pretty good way to attach a bar - no holes drilled in the bar, and bolt spreads the load out instead of concentrating it at single already weakened point.
                        This modified setup feels as solid as any handle I've ever used, and I really never put a lot of weight on it either pulling up or pushing down. If I'm doing steep climbing my grip is much closer to the front of the saddle so there's less stress on the interface. I've ridden it pretty hard the last few days and it feels solid as a rock. This started out as just an experiment while I was waiting for the mad4one saddle handle.
                        Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-20, 01:32 AM.
                        -Dani Buron

Website
                        Videos
                        Facebook

Comment

The handle saddle could grant access to the seatpost tube

Using the handle saddle I can reach the inside of the seatpost... will take a picture of the Co2 pump and small tool I'll be able to hide inside in the next days

Comment

handle saddle

Markus Büchel (aka turtle in this forum) is experimenting with a loop bar.
                            Attached Files
                            Oldest kid in town - neighbour

Comment

Originally posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
                              Markus Büchel (aka turtle in this forum) is experimenting with a loop bar.
                              Any more info regarding this loop handle??

I'm very interested!!
                              www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish

Comment

I saw his DIY Loop handle about a week ago somewhere on Facebook. There was a picture showing the underside where he drilled large holes through the bottom of the tubing and then smaller holes through tube walls closest to the interface where the bolts screw into the existing four bolt pattern. So, like my first mod, his handle is being held on by bolts that go through only one wall of the tubing.
                                Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-22, 12:51 AM.
                                -Dani Buron

Website
                                Videos
                                Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X