X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pierrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Garp View Post
    Pierrox, are you part of the organization? Just curious.
    Nope I'm not. Though I offered to help on site - being a native from Grenoble and speaking english.

Leave a comment:

• lowerstackmac
    replied
    Thatís a great total of hours you have accumulated Garp. At the rate youíre coming along you could be a Unicon competitor Weíve had over six feet of snow since the beginning of the year so iíll be uni-less for a while yet. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• Garp
    replied
    Originally posted by pierrox View Post
    You'll be ready for Unicon 2020 in Grenoble!
    As a competitor? That would raise a few eyebrows

I do intend to be there.
    What were the odds that the first world championship since I started riding takes place 3 hours away from my doorstep?

Pierrox, are you part of the organization? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• pierrox
    replied
    You'll be ready for Unicon 2020 in Grenoble!

Leave a comment:

• Garp
    replied
    One year!

And nothing broken!

That's 727 hours (yes, I've kept logging my uni time). Not the 1000 I was aiming for but I've been lazy since last summer.

One year seems a good time to makes changes, especially considering I haven't worked on/learned anything new in months.
    So flatland it is! Starting today, the first day of my second year (basics first, of course).

Now, where did I put those shin pads?

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    You weren't mistaken. Just a few days early
    At the rate you're learning, I would not be surprised.

Leave a comment:

• Garp
    replied
    You weren't mistaken. Just a few days early

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    Erm... the 12:00 position? I'm confused.
    Are you talking about one-foot riding? If so, I'm not there yet (but working on it).
    Duh! I thought you were talking about learning one-foot riding, but you are actually talking about one-footed idling. Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• Garp
    replied
    Erm... the 12:00 position? I'm confused.
    Are you talking about one-foot riding? If so, I'm not there yet (but working on it).

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    ... on both sides
    It's not as consistent as two-foot idling but it's getting there.

Funny thing is that the one-footed version didn't improve the two-footed one. Not one bit

I used EPU's method: static mount with the second foot directly on the crown instead of the pedal.
    I didn't see any progress for a long while but once it started to click, it moved on pretty fast. Good method
    I agree it's a slower method. What I liked about it, though, was that it allowed me to turn the crank slowly and feel every bit of my foot going over the 12:00 position, rather than simply pedaling quickly and hoping for the best. Thanks for sticking with it, Garp, and congratulations on your progress!

Leave a comment:

• Garp
    replied
    I can idle one-footed (515 hrs)...

... on both sides
    It's not as consistent as two-foot idling but it's getting there.

Funny thing is that the one-footed version didn't improve the two-footed one. Not one bit

I used EPU's method: static mount with the second foot directly on the crown instead of the pedal.
    I didn't see any progress for a long while but once it started to click, it moved on pretty fast. Good method

Leave a comment:

• song
    replied
    Strangely, it doesn't seem to have any effect on one-footed riding, which I'm still struggling with.
    Yeah, these two skills are far less connected than they might seem. PuebloUNIdo, as I recall, learned to ride one-footed by idling one-footed and than charging forward, but I don't know anyone else who has done it that way. I can now go from a one-footed idle into a one-footed ride, but that's definitely not how I learned!

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    While I'm still far from idling one-footed reliably, practicing it has improved my two-footed idling a lot.
    I suspect that, as a general rule, practicing harder techniques makes the easier techniques easier. Other riders have commented how learning to one-foot idle was not as hard as they thought it would be. Several riders, myself included, have mentioned that we are only good at it with one foot on the crown. I can go for a few seconds with one foot in the air, but it feels like a different, more complicated technique. The foot on the crown, I think, is what makes it easy. The foot is not merely resting there; it's applying leverage for pivoting. Also (I need to check this next time I ride), one foot idling forces you to get weight/stability in the seat, whereas in two-foot idling, you can stand out of the seat.

Keep up the good work, Garp!

Leave a comment:

• Garp
    replied
    Follow-up of the above.

While I'm still far from idling one-footed reliably, practicing it has improved my two-footed idling a lot.
    This is thanks to Mr UNIdo

Strangely, it doesn't seem to have any effect on one-footed riding, which I'm still struggling with.
    It's neither better nor worse.

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    I was thinking of riding one-footed first before trying with idling but your suggestion might make everything click into place a lot quicker.
    There are a lot of younger riders, I'm guessing, who can learn new techniques by just "going for it." I am older and a slow learner; my path forward is a more slow and steady one. No guarantees on the above technique, but at the very least, trying some different approaches may be helpful. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X