Ze Logue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimT View Post
    More sensitive parts will not toughen up over time.
    That part I kinda figured out

No, I'm sitting on my sit bones. Good to know it'll get better. Thanks, Jim.

Actually, now that I think about it, my 'more sensitive parts' seem to be better off on this seat than on the previous one. It could be due to the less curvy, almost flat shape of the Athmos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garp View Post
      So, my seat snapped. Right at the back of the seat post's plate.
      Thankfully, this didn't come as a surprise and I had already bought a replacement: an Impact Athmos.

What I didn't notice when I got it is how thin the padding is (compared to the one on the original seat).
      Now it feels like I'm sitting on a piece of wood. I won't be riding any distance any time soon.

Anyone knows this saddle? Should I expect to grow calluses on my butt?
      Or maybe eat more junk food to add some natural padding?
      I mean, is this something one gets used to over time?
      I thought the Athmos was a unicycle model. Are you referring to the Impact "Naomi" seat? That one is harder, for sure. If you don't already wear padded bike shorts, this could be the time to start. I love the Naomi saddle. May not be good for everyone, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlantan View Post
        Would hopping be the next skill? From reading this thread, idling and going backwards sound way too hard.
        I once met a guy who learned to hop before even learning to ride, partly because he started out on a beefy mountain unicycle that would have made almost anyone want to hop. I, on the other hand, started out on a $30 Craigslist special that was held together with hose clamps, so I learned idling, backwards riding and a couple of other low-impact skills before getting a sturdier unicycle and learning to hop.

Karl Marx said: "It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their consciousness." The kind of unicycle you have will play a big part in determining what skills you want to work on.

Comment

• Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
          I thought the Athmos was a unicycle model. Are you referring to the Impact "Naomi" seat? That one is harder, for sure. If you don't already wear padded bike shorts, this could be the time to start. I love the Naomi saddle. May not be good for everyone, however.
          The Athmos saddle is a thing in itself. See it here on UDC UK (where I bought it). It seems to be the model just before Naomi.

What I'm actually interested in is why. Considering that Impact sponsors a fairly large crew of urban riders, I'm pretty certain the extra hardness is deliberate. I just can't figure out what it's good for.
          It doesn't seem to give me more control. Apart from the small discomfort, the only difference I notice is that now I'm much more aware of the ground texture, through my butt! I mean, I'm discovering a very keen sense of touch I didn't know I had

Comment

I'm pretty certain the extra hardness is deliberate. I just can't figure out what it's good for.
            The saddle is designed to be grabbed at any point around its perimeter. To allow that for an average sized hand, the saddle has to be made thinner. If it's made thinner, the foam will have to be firmer to keep from bottoming out. So, one explanation is that the hardness is just a by-product of the shape.

Comment

• One thing that's nice though is that I'm no longer hurting my fingers with all the nuts and bolts that were under the other seat.

Comment

• 270 hrs so far

So, a while ago I started practicing backward riding. At the same time, I also learned to transition from forward to backward, with either foot in front.
                A little later, I learned to static-mount directly to backward riding. This one surprised me as it took about 10 minutes to get it. I was expecting at least a few days.

But then there's the backward-to-forward transition. This one has been miserable, with one side impossibly hard.
                For the longest time, I had a success rate of 3-4% (5% on a very good day), on the easy side. The other one was rarely above 1%. Maddening.

After a few weeks of applying good old caveman logic (I see a plateau, I punch and punch and punch and...) I finally broke through
                10-15%, then the next day 20-25%, then today 30+%! Huzzah!!

Little follow up about the harder seat (Impact Athmos): I now like it better. Weird, eh?
                I even feel I'm a little less sore than I was with the previous, much softer one.

Comment

But then there's the backward-to-forward transition. This one has been miserable, with one side impossibly hard.
                  Glad to hear you're improving at the transition. As I recall, this was never an issue with my own riding. Maybe because I typically rode backwards until I UPD'd, not even bothering to try to turn around. Also, I recall learning backwards riding around the same time as idling. I think the transition from backwards to forward was built into the idle. So, I never had to learn it using your method, Garp. You will probably be approaching 100% very shortly!

Comment

• Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
                    Glad to hear you're improving at the transition. As I recall, this was never an issue with my own riding. Maybe because I typically rode backwards until I UPD'd, not even bothering to try to turn around. Also, I recall learning backwards riding around the same time as idling. I think the transition from backwards to forward was built into the idle. So, I never had to learn it using your method, Garp. You will probably be approaching 100% very shortly!
                    Thank you, Emiliano

Today's success was 40+% on the hard side.
                    Amazing to go from less than 2% to more than 40% in 5 days!

That transition thing might sound puny to most of you seasonned riders but for me it's a big thing!

Comment

Today's success was 40+% on the hard side.
                      Amazing to go from less than 2% to more than 40% in 5 days!

That transition thing might sound puny to most of you seasonned riders but for me it's a big thing!
                      No, on the contrary, once you are a seasoned rider, you will probably never experience such quick progress again!

Now that you mention it, though, I can only transition from backward to forward riding with my left leg -the leg I first learned to idle with. The times I have tried this transition with my right leg have almost always ended in failure. You are inspiring me to go back and fix the gap in my skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by song View Post
                        No, on the contrary, once you are a seasoned rider, you will probably never experience such quick progress again!
                        'Quick progress'? Are you kidding me?
                        It took me almost 6 weeks before I saw any progress!
                        Last edited by Garp; 2019-06-06, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Now that you mention it, though, I can only transition from backward to forward riding with my left leg -the leg I first learned to idle with. The times I have tried this transition with my right leg have almost always ended in failure. You are inspiring me to go back and fix the gap in my skills.
                          And for people like me, I haven't made uni progress in years! I'm jut happy to get on and ride a few miles! (My sense of progress comes with learning to juggle clubs with a double spin while riding the uni, something I've been trying to get better at for 4 years.

Song,

Backchannel if you want to go for a ride in BK!

Comment

Karl Marx said: "It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their consciousness." The kind of unicycle you have will play a big part in determining what skills you want to work on.

Comment

• 300 hours, 4 months to the day...

... and really not much to show for it.

Static mount, forward and backward riding and transitions between them.
                              Plus a bit of bunny hopping.

I knew I was a slow learner. Just not that slow

Comment

... and really not much to show for it.

Static mount, forward and backward riding and transitions between them.
                                Plus a bit of bunny hopping.

I knew I was a slow learner. Just not that slow
                                I know how you feel. I watched the video someone posted from the recent Italian unicycle event, and that made me feel pretty inadequate.

My unicycle sessions are almost always of two different types. The first type is skills practice on my 19". The second type is going for a muni/xc ride. Each type of riding is an antidote to burnout on the other type. If I have been practicing too much on the 19", it feels really good to go on a muni ride. I tend to exert myself on muni rides due to all the hills in my neighborhood, and skills practice on the 19" is a nice break from that. Most of my improvements on the larger wheel resulted from practicing on the smaller wheel.

My consumerist solution to your problems is: Buy a muni! Riding muni is less about judging yourself and more about being in the zone. Your progress on muni is determined by how how adapt to external factors (the trail/hill/obstacle) rather than by the internal voice in your head telling you "I should learn this/that".

Comment

Working...
                                X