20 inch/Trials Uni to Learn Muni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thorofareken View Post
    Tried riding with holding the handle tonight. Not a problem. Cycled 3.5 miles/348 feet elevation gain (mostly paved trails, some small curb roll overs/ some grass) holding handle about half of that.

Yes I can have a conversation while riding and no problem to look to the side either.

I'll just keep practicing!
    The next step would be to try holding the seat with both hands. This is a lot easier when riding with handle bars, but by having both hands on the seat or on your back, you learn to balance with your hips. You can probably do it a bit on flat asphalt, but then try it off-road ( two hands on the seat, not on your back of course). That is a lot harder.

Comment

Originally posted by thorofareken View Post
      I see the comments about standing on the pedals. How much of the time are you pretty much standing on the pedals when offroad?
      "Standing on" is a bit of an overstatement. But just saying "pressure" on the pedals doesn't sound like much. As a beginner, one of the goals is to be able to relax your legs as you ride along, so you can keep riding without being worn out in a few hundred meters. But if you're approaching a bump, or riding through lots of them, you need to have some tension to keep your feet on the pedals, and be ready to apply instant power on either side to keep the wheel from stopping.

Riding on grass is a good example of needing a lot of extra pressure; you can't predict how bumpy the underlying ground is, so you have to stay prepared. If you're on a golf course, you're cheating (and probably about to get in trouble).

So the rougher the surface, the more you have to be ready to react to it. Really rough trails, with constant bumps, can be pretty tiring. It's nice when those sections are interspersed with smooth, rolling parts that let you recover.
      Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
      Riding off road with no hands on the handle, IMO, is kind of dangerous because the unicycle can be kicked out from under us pretty quickly.
      This is true on larger bumps. But back in the early 2000s, after David Poznanter had wrist injuries from a combination of professional balloon twisting and a car accident, we sympathized with his doctor's orders to not hold onto the seat. The doctor actually preferred he wouldn't ride rough terrain where he could fall on his hands, but he was going to do it anyway. So people riding with him would also try riding "hands free" to keep things equal. It was an extra challenge that made things interesting. "Hey, I just did that nasty section hands free!" Like that. Good for a challenge, but definitely not as easy as having a hand on.

I didn't mention holding the seat earlier, because many new riders aren't ready for it. It's fairly important if your trail is really bumpy, but not an absolute necessity unless you have to jump and pull the uni up with you. That said, a rigid arm holding you in relation to the seat will help you get over lots of bumps and drops.
      Originally posted by finnspin View Post
      Yes, managing difficult terrain is cool, and a lot of fun. But unicycling should feel relatively easy by the point you are taking it to the trails.
      I think he means "just riding along" unicycling. Because unicyclists definitely don't like doing things the easy way...
      John Foss
      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Working...
      X