Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weirdest and Strange unicycle freakshow - Who gives more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnfoss
    replied
    Riding a Kangaroo is basically riding 1-foot, except with both feet. Totally doable in a straight line, curves, over bumps, through the IUF Slalom, etc. But easier than 1-foot riding. I can't remember which I learned first, since I had access to a unicycle club before I learned 1-footing.

Leave a comment:

• Setonix
    replied
    Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
    Extremely eccentric Kangaroo!
    How can you balance forward/backward when both feet come up simultaneously? Won't the movement throw you off?

As for the surf uni, I expect that the wind can be used as extra support. since the board is very low to the ground, you could basically hang against the wind and use the handle on the sail to steer at the same time. Hanging would be needed to not start spinning, I think it would be easier to learn the surf thing than the Kangarooni (I think that's a fitting name for it)

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied
    Originally posted by toutestbon View Post

Where do you find this picture?
    I saw it here: https://twitter.com/weird_hist/statu...62581002100736

Also more here:

https://paleofuture.com/blog/2007/4/...irca-1900.html
    Last edited by ruari; 2020-03-03, 07:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Originally posted by MuniEmu View Post
    That appears to be some bizarre vision of the future... the text at the bottom translates as 'a stroll on the water in the year 2000'...
    My joke caption might be "I think I need a bigger balloon! Notice the WaterUni guy has no balloon. He's the cool dude; the risk-taker.

I think if you could spin something like that fast enough, it might keep you buoyant for a bit. And the gyroscopic force might keep you upright for a bit. Like those guys that ride snow machines through large puddles, that might be doable. But with a slow-turning wheel, not so much.

Below: Here's a more practical WaterUni, though more of a hamster type of drive system than a pedal-powered one. This was found in Singapore in 1994, but I think I remember seeing them in one other place, though I don't remember where. It was a great way to get wet exercise. :P

Leave a comment:

• toutestbon
    replied
    I'm sorry, I was wondering if it was possible to get it with a better resolution. But, maybe I got a bit enthusiastic, high definition wasn't very widespread in 1900.

Leave a comment:

• Setonix
    replied
    [QUOTE=toutestbon;n2802486]

Where do you find this picture/QUOTE]
    you can get to anything with the printscreen button but this one just seems to be linked.

Leave a comment:

• toutestbon
    replied
    Originally posted by ruari View Post
    Where do I buy one of these victorian water unicycles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_unicycle.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2802454
    Where do you find this picture?

I just find a website, where we can pay 10€ to download it.

A visionary made it in 1899-1900. He wasn't that far from the truth... I love it!

Leave a comment:

• MuniEmu
    replied
    That appears to be some bizarre vision of the future... the text at the bottom translates as 'a stroll on the water in the year 2000'... Shame it never came to reality!

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied
    Where do I buy one of these victorian water unicycles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_unicycle.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2802454

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    That's a pretty fancy "shoe" unicycle. I like the style of the spokes (instead of straight radial, and the geared-down drive may make it a little easier to control. These types of unicycle are understandably heavy, less from the shoes, and more from the amount of material required to make a "wheel" with no rim. Also depending on the shoes, their grip can make riding awkward.

The earliest version of one of these I rode was a Tom Miller one, in the early 80s. He called it an "Eight Footer" because it had eight shoes. That made for a pretty big, heavy unicycle, and rode quite lumpy. The Shoenicycle looks like a smoother ride.

Leave a comment:

• Klaas Bil
    replied
    Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
    The shoenicycle by Semcycle. I believe this was made around 2000.

Hmmm, upload of .jpg fails. I've had that before. No idea what happens, usually it gets through on a later attempt. Stay tuned.
    OK picture can be uploaded now...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Klaas Bil
    replied
    The shoenicycle by Semcycle. I believe this was made around 2000.

Hmmm, upload of .jpg fails. I've had that before. No idea what happens, usually it gets through on a later attempt. Stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• Klaas Bil
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
    Klaus Reef is User Holzwurm (german for woodworm)
    Not only that, but he made this wooden ball contraption indeed. I got to ride it too.

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Originally posted by JimT View Post
    I don't know if this was actually built or just someones imagination:

Originally posted by Setonix View Post
    The mono wheel looks dangerous. what happens when you fall side ways and you've made some speed. You'll break everything.
    ...Or even if you're going really slow. But that still means you've been riding it. My question: How do you get in there? And what does it look like when you stop? You're not going to put a foot down...

How about this mysterious unicycle?

Below:
    1. Guy Hansen on a double wheel giraffe with a belt connecting the wheels. I think this was taken at the 1998 USA Nationals
    2. Telford Muni, circa 1998. Made by Geoffrey Telford Faraghan, the head tube was intended to be at a similar angle to a mountain bike, to work with the Thudbuster Uni-Pivot seat post. Less than 20 were made, I think.
    3. The Great Wall Marathon, an event held in China in 1993, featured a 10k race at the Great Wall, a 100m race on top of the wall, and various other shows and competitions, along with China's first unicycle competition. This is Yuichiro Kato in the Expert 100m race. Because of the curve in the course, and very short stopping distance after the finish, we ran it as a time trial. Kato was the winner.

Again, sorry about the tiny sizes. These were scanned from paper photographs back when the Internet was 800 x 600 pixels.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by johnfoss; 2020-02-22, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Setonix
    replied
    Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
    From China:
    I don't know much about this one, including how the drivetrain works. But it sure looks interesting! I can imagine acrobats diving through that wheel as the guy rides by...
    It looks like a kind of geared unicycle, make a small rotation with your feet, but let the wheel make a big rotation. Will be difficult to learn. starting a geared uni in high gear. Never got the hang of that.

The mono wheel looks dangerous. what happens when you fall side ways and you've made some speed. You'll break everything.
    Last edited by Setonix; 2020-02-21, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X