Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weirdest and Strange unicycle freakshow - Who gives more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shoenicycle by Semcycle. I believe this was made around 2000.

Hmmm, upload of .jpg fails. I've had that before. No idea what happens, usually it gets through on a later attempt. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
      The shoenicycle by Semcycle. I believe this was made around 2000.

Hmmm, upload of .jpg fails. I've had that before. No idea what happens, usually it gets through on a later attempt. Stay tuned.
      OK picture can be uploaded now...
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a pretty fancy "shoe" unicycle. I like the style of the spokes (instead of straight radial, and the geared-down drive may make it a little easier to control. These types of unicycle are understandably heavy, less from the shoes, and more from the amount of material required to make a "wheel" with no rim. Also depending on the shoes, their grip can make riding awkward.

The earliest version of one of these I rode was a Tom Miller one, in the early 80s. He called it an "Eight Footer" because it had eight shoes. That made for a pretty big, heavy unicycle, and rode quite lumpy. The Shoenicycle looks like a smoother ride.
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Where do I buy one of these victorian water unicycles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_unicycle.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2802454

Comment

That appears to be some bizarre vision of the future... the text at the bottom translates as 'a stroll on the water in the year 2000'... Shame it never came to reality!

Comment

Originally posted by ruari View Post
              Where do I buy one of these victorian water unicycles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_unicycle.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2802454
              Where do you find this picture?

I just find a website, where we can pay 10€ to download it.

A visionary made it in 1899-1900. He wasn't that far from the truth... I love it!
              Indoor training on a 24" freewheel unicyle

Comment

[QUOTE=toutestbon;n2802486]

Where do you find this picture/QUOTE]
                you can get to anything with the printscreen button but this one just seems to be linked.

Comment

I'm sorry, I was wondering if it was possible to get it with a better resolution. But, maybe I got a bit enthusiastic, high definition wasn't very widespread in 1900.
                  Indoor training on a 24" freewheel unicyle

Comment

Originally posted by MuniEmu View Post
                    That appears to be some bizarre vision of the future... the text at the bottom translates as 'a stroll on the water in the year 2000'...
                    My joke caption might be "I think I need a bigger balloon! Notice the WaterUni guy has no balloon. He's the cool dude; the risk-taker.

I think if you could spin something like that fast enough, it might keep you buoyant for a bit. And the gyroscopic force might keep you upright for a bit. Like those guys that ride snow machines through large puddles, that might be doable. But with a slow-turning wheel, not so much.

Below: Here's a more practical WaterUni, though more of a hamster type of drive system than a pedal-powered one. This was found in Singapore in 1994, but I think I remember seeing them in one other place, though I don't remember where. It was a great way to get wet exercise. :P

John Foss
                    www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by toutestbon View Post

Where do you find this picture?
                      I saw it here: https://twitter.com/weird_hist/statu...62581002100736

Also more here:

https://paleofuture.com/blog/2007/4/...irca-1900.html
                      Last edited by ruari; 2020-03-03, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                        Extremely eccentric Kangaroo!
                        How can you balance forward/backward when both feet come up simultaneously? Won't the movement throw you off?

As for the surf uni, I expect that the wind can be used as extra support. since the board is very low to the ground, you could basically hang against the wind and use the handle on the sail to steer at the same time. Hanging would be needed to not start spinning, I think it would be easier to learn the surf thing than the Kangarooni (I think that's a fitting name for it)

Comment

Riding a Kangaroo is basically riding 1-foot, except with both feet. Totally doable in a straight line, curves, over bumps, through the IUF Slalom, etc. But easier than 1-foot riding. I can't remember which I learned first, since I had access to a unicycle club before I learned 1-footing.
                          John Foss
                          www.unicycling.com

Comment

Working...
                          X