Learning to ride on gravel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lowerstackmac View Post
    What I did do wrong, was to use the 19” exclusively for a couple of weeks after my foot healed up. Then it was much harder to return to the 26”, my success on it went down quite a bit. I should have switched back and forth frequently between the two.
    You're only talking about 2 unis. Imagine having 10 unicycles like me. At least when riding the 29er it keeps it easier enough to switch between the 19" and 32". Smaller wheels are more twitchy and bigger wheels require a higher hop to get onto. For me it is impossible to have a 100% mount rate when riding different wheel sizes.

Comment

• BenSimons, welcome to the Community!
      Setonix, 10 unis! That is quite a pile. If I ever get this riding thing to a competent level, someday I would like to get a 36. I think for me I have to switch back and forth each day to be able to ride both unis without losing the feel. I expect it will be easier as I get more time in.

Comment

BenSimons, welcome to the Community!
        Thanks! :-)

Getting a new unicycle probably isn't going to happen any time soon; the wife is begrudged enough about getting the first one, and is still pretty skeptical of the merits of this whole affair. I am thinking about seeing if I can find a longer seat post (or perhaps cobble one together), as the one that came with it is pretty squatty feeling for me. You're right about getting armor, I'm sure I'll get some soon.

If I get over my fear of public scrutiny, there's a large flat parking lot with relatively low traffic near my house that would be good for practicing.

-Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by BenSimons View Post

Getting a new unicycle probably isn't going to happen any time soon; the wife is begrudged enough about getting the first one, and is still pretty skeptical of the merits of this whole affair. I am thinking about seeing if I can find a longer seat post (or perhaps cobble one together), as the one that came with it is pretty squatty feeling for me. You're right about getting armor, I'm sure I'll get some soon.

If I get over my fear of public scrutiny, there's a large flat parking lot with relatively low traffic near my house that would be good for practicing.

-Ben
          My wife, who is Thai, wanted to go see her family 2 weeks before I flew to Thailand. I used those 2 weeks to order a new unicycle. If ever she asks if it is a new one, I can simply say "No I've had it in the shed a very long time. You just never saw it." She doesn't have a key to the shed and when we got married I already had 6 or so unis. She won't ever find out. (oops now it is registered on this website.)

Comment

Setonix, 10 unis! That is quite a pile.
            10 unis? Just a modest collection then.
            Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
              If ever she asks if it is a new one, I can simply say "No I've had it in the shed a very long time. You just never saw it."
              "It looks so new because I spent a very long time cleaning it."
              Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

• Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
                "It looks so new because I spent a very long time cleaning it."
                Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. I'm quite lazy. She sees dust where I don't and she knows it. When I have mud on a uni, I wait until it gets dry and falls off.

Comment

• Originally posted by BenSimons View Post

-Ben
                  Ben,
                  I just noticed that you are local, welcome to the forum. I'm from Onalaska and we have a few unicyclist in the Lewis County area. If you need any help with a seat post on your vintage unicycle, let me know. I made one for my 50 years old Columbia and it worked well. A few pics at: https://pbase.com/jimthode/26_columbia_seat_post

Comment

• Originally posted by JimT View Post
                    Ben,
                    I just noticed that you are local, welcome to the forum. I'm from Onalaska and we have a few unicyclist in the Lewis County area. If you need any help with a seat post on your vintage unicycle, let me know. I made one for my 50 years old Columbia and it worked well. A few pics at: https://pbase.com/jimthode/26_columbia_seat_post
                    Crazy! I wouldn't have expected there to be other people from this forum around here. That's a pretty slick looking upgrade. That old seat is pretty similar looking to the one I have.

Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                    My wife, who is Thai, wanted to go see her family 2 weeks before I flew to Thailand. I used those 2 weeks to order a new unicycle. If ever she asks if it is a new one, I can simply say "No I've had it in the shed a very long time. You just never saw it." She doesn't have a key to the shed and when we got married I already had 6 or so unis. She won't ever find out. (oops now it is registered on this website.)
                    I'm trying to decide whether or not this is good marriage advice, or unicycle advice...

-Ben Simons

Comment

• BenSimons, go to the parking lot, it will really speed things up being on a flat surface. It’s also great that you may be able to connect with some other riders in your area. If you can that will be really helpful. You wife will probably be ok with the uni, once you explain how much money people will pay to see you ride after you get good at it.

Comment

• As I was close to finishing my hour of practice yesterday, I noticed on my 26” Nimbus muni the left side crank bolt was very loose. I came onto it pretty hard with the allan key to tighten it. Today after almost an hour it had backed off again. So Here are a few questions, Is there a torque setting I should put to it. Is just tightening it with the allan key and some blue loctite the way to go? Any thoughts why this happened and what is a good way to prevent it from reoccurring? Thanks

Comment

As I was close to finishing my hour of practice yesterday, I noticed on my 26” Nimbus muni the left side crank bolt was very loose. I came onto it pretty hard with the allan key to tighten it. Today after almost an hour it had backed off again. So Here are a few questions, Is there a torque setting I should put to it. Is just tightening it with the allan key and some blue loctite the way to go? Any thoughts why this happened and what is a good way to prevent it from reoccurring? Thanks
                          From this thread: "Use a torque wrench and take it up to 25 lbs. They should stay tight. Make sure the threads are clean, and use blue Loctite."

Also if the ISIS spacers are too thick there could be some looseness in the spline and that would tend to loosen the bolt.

Comment

As I was close to finishing my hour of practice yesterday, I noticed on my 26” Nimbus muni the left side crank bolt was very loose. I came onto it pretty hard with the allan key to tighten it. Today after almost an hour it had backed off again. So Here are a few questions, Is there a torque setting I should put to it. Is just tightening it with the allan key and some blue loctite the way to go? Any thoughts why this happened and what is a good way to prevent it from reoccurring? Thanks
                            I have never used LocTite. I have no issues with crank bolts coming loose (except on my Schlumpf hub). JimT is right; if the spacer is too wide, that could create play in the interface which would loosen the bolt. You might check to see if the spacer is too narrow. Depending on the combination of cranks/hub/spacers, the crank bolt can be completely tight without having the spacer compressed / sandwiched between the crank and bearing. Using too-narrow spacers could really mess things up. I would first check to make sure you're compressing the spacers. If that is okay, tighten the crap out of the bolts.

Comment

• elpuebloUNIdo, JimT, I would think and hope the spacers are the correct size as they came new with the uni. The right side has remained tight so it is probably just a matter of following the directions as LanceB earlier posted. Thanks guys

Comment

elpuebloUNIdo, JimT, I would think and hope the spacers are the correct size as they came new with the uni. The right side has remained tight so it is probably just a matter of following the directions as LanceB earlier posted. Thanks guys
                                If the crank was used when the bolt was loose that could cause some wear on the spline of the crank or axle and that would require a thinner spacer to make a tight joint. You can check to see if a thinner spacer is needed by doing this: The ISIS specification; there shall be a press fit connection between the male and the female tapered spline of about 3 to 6 mm, normally around 5 mm. In practice this means, when you attach your crank arms by hand, there shall be around 3 to 6 mm space between crank shoulder and spacer (if not: take a thinner spacer!). Then you tighten it till there is no gap between spacer and crank left to reach the proper amount of press fit and then up to about 40 Nm which will tense up the screw enough so that it can not loosen itself.
                                From here.

Comment

Working...
                                X