Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on starting with a ultimate wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pretty sure last two message do not apply to ultimate wheels.

Comment

Well, once I know how to ride forward, freemount and turn left/right, should I aim for idling? Tried to idle for 10 min and it seems way to hard. Any tips?

Comment

I have spent three months without any activity due to a broken foot (not unicycle related!), threfore no UW progress

Today I have finished mounting my custom 36" ultimate wheel, 24" nimbus for compraison:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2gxsry3rh8kca6pcmweig905jy8.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	2461496

Here is the very first attempt on riding the beast:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnEYbq8Ncwc

It feels very different compared to 24", so I'll need some time for accomodation (and full foot healing, right now I am a bit scared to jump off this height).

Comment

Incredibly impressive! Both the construction and your very successful first riding attempt...

Comment

Having tried two diameters only, I fail to understand why people are saying that bigger diameters are easier. A mere dismount can literally cause a huge pain in the ass
            Last edited by haqreu; 2019-04-06, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Two saddles, four wheels, I guess I own two bicycles. Today I have unlocked 1 km achievement (without any UPD) on the blue one (36"). So I guess I can say that I learned to ride an ultimate wheel.

I have a question though : is there anyone who can idle on a ultimate wheel? I need a tip on how it is done. Should the pedals be 3-9 or 6-12? 3-9 seems unnatural, but 6-12 is simply impossible, at least on the bigger wheel...

Setonix, any progress since Christmas?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by haqreu; 2019-05-30, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haqreu View Post
                I have a question though : is there anyone who can idle on a ultimate wheel? I need a tip on how it is done. Should the pedals be 3-9 or 6-12? 3-9 seems unnatural, but 6-12 is simply impossible, at least on the bigger wheel...
                It's been done, with pedals at 6-12. So it's possible, I tried and found it pretty hard. But I'm not a fan of ultimate wheels, so I only tried for a minute.
                In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

Hi haqreu,

Very impressive 36" UW. How did you do the pedal thread? I tapped directly on 6061 aluminum frame but it is too soft as heat from welding softened it.

Thanks,
                  Charles

Comment

Two saddles, four wheels, I guess I own two bicycles. Today I have unlocked 1 km achievement (without any UPD) on the blue one (36"). So I guess I can say that I learned to ride an ultimate wheel.

This, "Idle with the pedals horizontal (circus idle): I find it slightly easier if my knees are together. Its fun. Once this is learned, going backwards is much easier." is from here.

Comment

• Originally posted by sledgehammer View Post
                      How did you do the pedal thread? I tapped directly on 6061 aluminum frame but it is too soft as heat from welding softened it.
                      I know your pain about soft aluminum unable to hold the pedals! My wheel has steel spacers that go through the spokes and it is secured with a brass nut. This relieves the stress from the aluminium thread.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the info and pictures. Very impressive welding (aluminum is hard) and craftsmanship! Where did you get the nut for the pedal thread, the spacer and the brass nut? Finding both left hand and right hand versions is pain.

I am thinking of getting/making the nut for pedal thread (like the one you have) and use J-B Weld to glue it into the hole in spoke. What do you think?

I know your pain about soft aluminum unable to hold the pedals! My wheel has steel spacers that go through the spokes and it is secured with a brass nut. This relieves the stress from the aluminium thread.

Comment

• To be honest, the wheel is made by a friend of mine, my own welding would be much more sloppier. The spacers/nuts are machined on a manual lathe, in this way it is not a problem to thread it properly. I'll pass the compliment
                          Last edited by haqreu; 2019-05-31, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Now I need to make a friend with lathe

Comment

• Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by haqreu View Post

I've put mine away for the time being. Now that I have a family, I don't have the needed time to learn to ride. Only once I made it 5 metres but with only being able to train once a week, I noticed that every time I had to learn from scratch again. Who knows, maybe in 5 years when the kids are bigger and need less attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X