Paved road mountain climbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LargeEddie View Post
    Seems like I recall more than one report of 2.0" Big Apples blowing off wide 40+ mm rims.

Sheldon Brown posted a chart of recommended tire width vs rim width:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

It's a little bit problematic imho not least because it has "X"s in the recommended tire/rim combinations! (I always want to take that to mean "don't do this.") Also most of our tires and rims are wider than anything on that chart. Still, the basic trend seems to be that around 1.5 times rim width is a happy minimum tire width, which feels about right to me. It takes some extra tire to get a decent rounded profile.
    Thanks for your insight. I will err on the side of caution though and not inflate either of these tires much beyond 40psi which is well below the recommended rate and will use them just for the paved mountain climbs and not everyday abuse

Comment

Practice makes perfect. You may consider putting more pressure into the tyre.
      yahoo mail sign up

Comment

When you say "paved road", you mean tarmac or asphalt, or cobblestone like the streets of Montmartre?

I'm asking because high tire pressure on those is a killer, especially when they're old and disjointed!

Comment

Originally posted by pierrox View Post
          When you say "paved road", you mean tarmac or asphalt, or cobblestone like the streets of Montmartre?

I'm asking because high tire pressure on those is a killer, especially when they're old and disjointed!
          Asphalt

Comment

Working...
          X