Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

48 Semcycle Deluxe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Some solid tires -Greentyre, for example- are polyurethane.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ruari View Post
      Apologies if this has been discussed before but thoughts on this?

      https://www.facebook.com/11610824507...2516887434067/
      Any more news on this?

      Comment


      • #18
        Did anyone ever hear anymore about this? I'd still love to get one, one day.

        Comment


        • #19
          Tommie will make you a 48, or something bigger, if you want. http://sillycycle.com/unicycle_factory/

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by moffatuniguy View Post
            Tommy does not have access to the gray wheelchair rubber anymore. He said he could not replace my tire. I will only ride it on a smooth surface if I take it for a spin.
            Originally posted by song View Post
            Tommie will make you a 48, or something bigger, if you want. http://sillycycle.com/unicycle_factory/
            I hope this is still true, but the above quote suggests it may be a problem. Most wheelchairs now use pneumatic tires. But there must still be some kind of product out there, including whatever the penny farthing guys use for their tires...
            John Foss
            www.unicycling.com

            "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
              But there must still be some kind of product out there, including whatever the penny farthing guys use for their tires...
              It seems that some of the penny manufacturers (including UDC) are using a microcellular polyurethane tyre moulded in one piece, commissioned by Per-Olof Kippel of http://www.standardhighwheels.se (he makes his own beautiful pennies as well).

              Per-Olof has two types of tyres available (racing and touring, with the former being lighter), in the following sizes: 48”, 50”, 52”, 54”, 56”. Since both he and UDC also offer hubs, spokes and rims, the only thing missing is a suitable unicycle frame(s). If someone were to make one, it would be possible to build a unicycle in any of these sizes.

              UDC definitely have a team who could come up with and build a suitable frame made, if they wanted to. Perhaps the niche of interested riders is considered to be too small.
              Last edited by ruari; 2019-08-01, 05:14 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                If it is just a question of frame, you can also have a custom frame builder (like Jacob Flansberry) to build you one
                => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                  I hope this is still true, but the above quote suggests it may be a problem. Most wheelchairs now use pneumatic tires. But there must still be some kind of product out there, including whatever the penny farthing guys use for their tires...
                  I would think that any wheelwright that does hard rubber tires on wagon/buggy wheels could also install hard rubber tires on a unicycle/penny farthing. Like this.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JimT View Post
                    I would think that any wheelwright that does hard rubber tires on wagon/buggy wheels could also install hard rubber tires on a unicycle/penny farthing. Like this.
                    That's what some people rode on before Tom Miller started making his Big Wheels in the late 70s. Those wagon wheels are HEAVY, but very visually striking and great for parades and shows. But I don't know that those tires are made to fit bicycle rims; I guess it depends how much flexibility they have with the material.
                    John Foss
                    www.unicycling.com

                    "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      What about this one: http://www.hiwheel.com/antique_replicas/unicycle.htm

                      38" - $684.00
                      48" - $774.00
                      52" - $904.00
                      UniMyra's YouTube channel

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by UniMyra View Post
                        What about this one: http://www.hiwheel.com/antique_replicas/unicycle.htm

                        38" - $684.00
                        48" - $774.00
                        52" - $904.00
                        Interesting... but that saddle. Not sure that is something I would want on a unicycle.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                          That's what some people rode on before Tom Miller started making his Big Wheels in the late 70s. Those wagon wheels are HEAVY, but very visually striking and great for parades and shows. But I don't know that those tires are made to fit bicycle rims; I guess it depends how much flexibility they have with the material.
                          John,
                          Greg Barron in Alameda sells black and red hard rubber tires in different sizes that would work on your large uni. He may even install a tire on yours when needed.

                          He also has some videos on how to install hard rubber tires. At: https://youtu.be/DxSDOzDoO-w

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Thanks, that's good to know! Someday I might need the upgrade. I may have even met Greg once upon a time, when the guys from Rideable Bicycle Replicas let me ride one of their Pennies in a race at the Davis Cyclebration. A 1-mile race on an athletics track. I was really fast on the first lap, but overdid it, and got handily passed by most of the field, who knew how to pace themselves on one of those machines...
                            John Foss
                            www.unicycling.com

                            "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I still want one of those big unicycles but in the mean time I bought this instead

                              Ruari next to Standard High Wheels Penny farthing

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by ruari View Post
                                I still want one of those big unicycles but in the mean time I bought this instead
                                Wow cool, a while a go I looked on youtube how to mount those things. It seems easy enough, but it is quite high and what if you want to stop at the traffic light. You can't just hold your legs out like with a normal bike to stand. Also steering must feel weird as your outer pedal will move away from you. Doesn't the wheel hit your leg when you turn too much?
                                As a uni it must feel powerful to be able to mount such a big wheel. How much did you pay for it, in NOK?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X