Post Your Long-Term Goals Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Your Long-Term Goals Here

I’m trying to do a better job thinking long-term. Have you heard of the Long Now Foundation (http://longnow.org/)? They are trying to encourage more long-term thinking. One way they are doing this is by building a clock that, “ticks once a year, a century hand advances once every 100 years, and a cuckoo comes out every millennium for 10,000 years.” A really cool example of long-term thinking that they mention is, the ceiling of College Hall at New College, Oxford. The beams of the ceiling are so large that the architect was concerned that, hundreds of years later, large enough trees would not be available when the beams had to be replaced. So, at the time of the original construction, a grove of oak trees was also planted. Five hundred years later, modern carpenters used the oak trees that had been planted in 1386 to replace the beams. Wow, that’s thinking ahead!

Anyway, my long-term goal is to:
    Ride my unicycle a total of 10,000 miles in the next 12 years, before I’m 60.

Yeah, there is a little bit of Gladwell-influence in the choice of 10k. This will be a very difficult goal to achieve. I don’t ride a 36”. With work/kids, I’m not sure I can ride an average of 830 miles a year (15 miles a week). I hope my knees hold out. However, I’m going to push myself to achieve this goal and I’m stating it publicly! Well, as SJUnicyclist…

I’ll keep you updated on this thread!
    Last edited by SanJoseUnicyclist; 2018-05-03, 05:38 PM.

Originally posted by SanJoseUnicyclist View Post
    Anyway, my long-term goal is to:
    Ride my unicycle a total of 10,000 miles in the next 12 years, before I’m 60.
    Does that mean you will keep track of every single unicycle ride for the next 12 years? I don't set goals. my family life just started last week, living with my Thai wife and her daughter and hopefully next year will have the second kid. This means I won;'t be able to ride as much as I could before and I'm happy those times where I can ride. I've also started getting a painful knee, which I actually should give more rest. My only goal is to keep riding unicycle for as long as I am healthy and hopefully get my kids to get interested in riding as well, so we can have family rides.

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic goal to me, Setonix. I'm also trying to get my kids to ride. Would be wonderful to pass on this passion.

I have been tracking almost every single ride since ~2012 with the Endomondo App. I'm up to ~1500 miles (which I'm counting towards this goal... Cheating??). So, guess I'll need to average ~700 mi/yr.

Comment

Get on the work commute and you'll bust that goal in no time

I don't have any goals that stretch 12 years into the future to be honest, but I'm looking at grinding out some really long rides this year. There's about 6 metric century rides (a couple of which have the option of an imperial century as an addon) going on in my city this year and I'm planning to do them all. I've also got the Horwich national race that I want to win, but I keep getting beat by certain people on this forum.
        “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Comment

Ride a unicycle on my 100th birthday. Distance not important, though a clean mount and dismount would be nice. That's a 54 year timeline, BTW.

Oh, and if I'm busy that day (doing ?), any day after that will be fine as well.

Oh and maybe, between now and then, if I get all my old film photos transferred to digital, edit together all the uni footage I shot in 1999-2000, maybe write a book about unicycling...
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
            Ride a unicycle on my 100th birthday. Distance not important, though a clean mount and dismount would be nice. That's a 54 year timeline, BTW.
            Since ur 56 now, I believe it is a 44 year timeline, or you'd be 110. Also since you're one of the unicycle die-hards that has been riding like forever, I have no doubt that if you make it to 100 you can still do a pirouette on a unicycle.

Comment

Oh and maybe, between now and then, if I get all my old film photos transferred to digital, edit together all the uni footage I shot in 1999-2000, maybe write a book about unicycling...
              Considering that you're basically the unicycle historian of these forums, I'd definitely throw money at my screen if you announced that book!
              “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Comment

I would like to still unicycle when I'm 42. At that point I would be riding for 5/6th of my life, that's still 19 years in the future though. And, ideally, I would like to do that without any broken bones, since so far I haven't. Knowing how I ride, I'm going to need a lot of luck for that though..
                In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

You want to be still riding when you're 42? Hah! That was three years before I even started learning to ride!

My long-term goal as a unicyclist could probably be reached in a few weeks if I made a big effort, so maybe it isn't long-term by most people's standards. I want to be able to glide whenever I hit a stretch of downhill road that's not too bumpy. First I still have to get one-footed wheel walking, though. I can now wheel walk and return to the pedals, usually without a UPD, on a 20, 24 or 29, as long as it is a familiar wheel, but letting my foot slide, as you have to do for one-footed wheel walking, still eludes me. Part of two-footed wheel walking is being very careful to make sure your foot does not slide, so I need to somehow un-learn that...

Comment

On the long run I will found a unicycling club dedicated to show the public that unicycling is actually a sport for (almost) anyone.

[After two years of uniing I still don’t understand why there are so few of us in a sport so captivating. In my opinion our sport would even be suitable as an olympic sport as it has many different disciplines that are (maybe only to me ?!?) interesting to watch. The public has to be made aware of this - this is my goal!]
                    ————————————
                    I own: Quax 20“ / KH 27,5 / KH 20 / Nimbus Hatchet 26x4,8
                    I‘d like to have also: KH 24+Schlumpf, Nimbus 24“ ultimate
                    I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)

Comment

Originally posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
                      On the long run I will found a unicycling club dedicated to show the public that unicycling is actually a sport for (almost) anyone.

[After two years of uniing I still don’t understand why there are so few of us in a sport so captivating. In my opinion our sport would even be suitable as an olympic sport as it has many different disciplines that are (maybe only to me ?!?) interesting to watch. The public has to be made aware of this - this is my goal!]
                      It boggles my mind that unicycling is still so obscure. Learning to ride is super fun and progressing is even better! People need to know! I'm doing my part to spread the good news.

As for goals: I'd really like to do a backpacking unicycle tour at some point.

Comment

- Learn to idle. Have tried quite a bit, can't do it.
                        - Ride backwards. I find this a little scary.
                        - Hop stairs. I don't have any stairs near by.
                        - Learn the Ultimate wheel. I've bought one second hand. Haven't tried it yet.
                        - Freewheel. Get better, maybe go off road.

36'er riding and muni seems to always get in the way of these goals.

maybe write a book about unicycling...
                        I hope you will.
                        UniMyra's YouTube channel

Comment

preparing for the computer bug of year 2048 !
                          (I will be 100 years old then)
                          One Wheel : bear necessity
                          (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

Originally posted by wobbling bear View Post
                            preparing for the computer bug of year 2048 !
                            - Made me laugh!!

My goal (or wish) is to make another official measured marathon. I made one in 2013 in Düsseldorf, but did not succeed in Unicon 17 and Unicon 18.

Best regards,
                            Sanne

Comment

Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                              Since ur 56 now, I believe it is a 44 year timeline, or you'd be 110. Also since you're one of the unicycle die-hards that has been riding like forever, I have no doubt that if you make it to 100 you can still do a pirouette on a unicycle.
                              I'd like to add another goal: To check my math. But I'm relieved I have ten less years to make it through.

Pirouette? If you read the strict definition of that, it's tough, especially on gritty outdoor pavement. But I hope I'll at least be up for a basic spin.
                              Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
                              I'd definitely throw money at my screen if you announced that book!
                              I've started to start one several times over the years. Recently I put my ideas on hold because Kris Holm was actually doing one. And his is so beautifully done that the ante has been upped quite a bit.

I think if I keep posting here long enough, the text part of the book will be mostly done. I'll just have to compile everything I wrote, delete about 99% of it, and fill in the gaps. Then add lots and lots of pictures!

If everyone that's active on these forums were willing to throw money at their screens, well, that wouldn't be much these days... All you Facebookers and Tweeters, whatever.
                              Originally posted by song View Post
                              I want to be able to glide whenever I hit a stretch of downhill road that's not too bumpy.

Part of two-footed wheel walking is being very careful to make sure your foot does not slide, so I need to somehow un-learn that...
                              Exactly. Easiest way to start is probably to start letting your feet skid a bit, while two-footed wheel walking. That might be a helpful step before focusing on the one-fotted wheel walking. In either case, just do short skids to start, maybe just a few centimeters at first. As you get more comfortable doing that, you'll be learning the "sweet spot" of how much tension you need available to control that sliding motion.

See? My book's section on Learning to Glide is mostly completed at this point...
                              Originally posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
                              [After two years of uniing I still don’t understand why there are so few of us in a sport so captivating.
                              Short answer: Because it's hard to learn (steep learning curve). Secondly there is the social element, which varies from country to country. People have to be willing to be seen doing something odd.

If anything, people in Germany should be (and are) less inhibited about learning unicycles. Kunstradfahren has been an established, organized and very serious sport for many decades. And Germany does have large numbers of unicyclist, so it is more advanced in this than most of the world.

Japan is the most advanced, with unicycles available as playground equipment in most elementary schools. Japan is a place where you don't need to be convinced unicycling is possible for you. If you're young enough, you have seen with your own eyes that anyone that really wants to learn it, can. But once people age past elementary school, the amount of active unicyclists drops off steeply, so for people above school age, it's kind of similar to most of the world. Except for the fact that everybody knows they could learn to ride one if they really wanted.
                              Originally posted by Sanne.Kj View Post
                              - Made me laugh!!
                              Not me. Programmers are lazy. I would not be surprised if some of the core code that had to be patched for the Y2K bug has to get patched again for 2048. No kidding. But I think it will be less of a "scare" than Y2K was.
                              Last edited by johnfoss; 2018-05-07, 06:16 AM.
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Working...
                              X