No announcement yet.

New 36" tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received the new 36" Nightrider Lite in the mail yesterday so of course I had to immediately mount it on the unicycle and go for spin.

What I noticed was I guess to be expected:

-Easier to get the wheel turning initially.
    -Easier to climb the steeper hills when the pedal strokes are more jerky because the lower mass is easier to accelerate.

The profile is more rounded than the original Nightrider which some riders have claimed makes it less susceptible to road camber. I didn't notice that to be the case. I found it neither better nor worse. The tire definitely rides differently. It really felt more like riding my 29" with the round Big Apple tire.

Conclusion: I need another 36" unicycle!

I enjoyed the easier starting and climbing but I also enjoy the inertia of the heavier tire on the flat paved trails when I just want to get out and cruise along. Since I don't want to change tires each time I see no other choice for me besides getting another 36" unicycle. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by TMason View Post
      I received the new 36" Nightrider Lite in the mail yesterday so of course I had to immediately mount it on the unicycle and go for spin.

What I noticed was I guess to be expected:

-Easier to get the wheel turning initially.
      -Easier to climb the steeper hills when the pedal strokes are more jerky because the lower mass is easier to accelerate.

The profile is more rounded than the original Nightrider which some riders have claimed makes it less susceptible to road camber. I didn't notice that to be the case. I found it neither better nor worse. The tire definitely rides differently. It really felt more like riding my 29" with the round Big Apple tire.

Conclusion: I need another 36" unicycle!

I enjoyed the easier starting and climbing but I also enjoy the inertia of the heavier tire on the flat paved trails when I just want to get out and cruise along. Since I don't want to change tires each time I see no other choice for me besides getting another 36" unicycle. :-)
      I have 1 KH36 available but France is far and shipping expensive
      http://monocycle.info
      http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
      CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
      my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

• I've had the Lite tyre for a while now and thought I'd contribute.

The bits of my setup that might matter:
        - Dominator2 rim
        - Nightrider Lite 36"
        - Foss lightweight 36" tube
        - 110mm spirit cranks
        - 203mm crank mounted disk brake
        - KH36 disk frame (so 100mm spacing)
        - KH Fusion One
        - KH distance t-bar

Tyre thoughts:
        - Under about 30psi it's almost unrideable (I'm around 65kg). The old tyre is excellent offroad with even the Foss tube, at much lower pressures.
        - 35psi seems to be about the sweet spot for me. Tight corners on road any lower and I it doesn't feel right.
        - Cornering is different. It takes less effort to turn into corners than the old tyre, but more effort to come back out of them.
        - Camber I've noticed it's different but haven't quite made up my mind. At higher pressures I'd say it's better, but at lower pressures it seems pretty similar.
        - Acceleration is insanely good. A few seconds and I can be almost at maximum speed.
        "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

• Did anybody end up measuring the difference in diameter between the old NR tyre and the NR Lite 36er version?

I'm considering getting one for my Nightrider Pro (same as the older Nightrider frame but with 42mm bearings). It has a Stealth 2 rim (older version with machined brake tracks).

With the full fat Nightrider tyre the clearance between the top of the tyre and the frame is 14mm. I don't want too tight a gap as I like to keep a little clearance for mud.
          Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

• I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig then

Comment

• Originally posted by lightbulbjim View Post
              Did anybody end up measuring the difference in diameter between the old NR tyre and the NR Lite 36er version?

I'm considering getting one for my Nightrider Pro (same as the older Nightrider frame but with 42mm bearings). It has a Stealth 2 rim (older version with machined brake tracks).

With the full fat Nightrider tyre the clearance between the top of the tyre and the frame is 14mm. I don't want too tight a gap as I like to keep a little clearance for mud.
              I have the Nightrider Lite in an Oracle frame and a in a (2012'ish) KH frame, and it's plenty of room. I also have a Nightrider frame, but it's a while since I last used it. From memory I think there's plenty of room there too.
              UniMyra's YouTube channel

Comment

• Right, well I know I'm very late to the party but I finally got around to fitting the NR Lite and trying it out. The results are... mixed so far.

I measured a 550g difference between the old and new tyre. I've never really worried about weight but less of it is never a bad thing. The decrease in sidewall thickness is very noticeable, and the compound feels softer. Not that I ever had any traction problems with the old tyre.

The profile when inflated is more round than the old tyre, although I do have some wear on the old tyre which has flattened the tread out a bit. Clearance is fine in my frame - the radius only increased 2mm by my measurement.

As for riding... It's going to take some getting used to. Between the decreased weight and (I guess) the more rounded profile it's noticeably more nimble than the old tyre, which is nice. However, I'm used to throwing my weight around pretty aggressively when cornering and braking, and I can't really do it in the same way. It's probably just a case of practice, but it does feel like the balance envelope has shrunk.

The biggest challenge so far is offroad. I'm not sure whether it's the change in profile or the pressure (currently running 45 PSI, which was comfortable for all-round riding on the old tyre) but it's very skittish on dirt. I tried it out on a medium quality dirt/gravel road and it was not very confidence inspiring. In the end I UPDed on some washboard (my first 36er UPD in years) and ruined a perfectly good pair of trousers . On the heavy tyre I would have plowed straight through stuff like that without thinking.

All in all it's probably going to be an improvement once I get used to it.

Comment

• Like others have mentioned, I don't think the Lite tire is an improvement across the board. For context, I weigh 70kg. I only ride on pavement and I ride hard, with lots of high speed cornering, not just cruising along my local bike paths...

The Lite has way thinner sidewalls than my previous Nightrider tire. On my first test ride after installing the Lite at approximately the same pressure, I thought I had a flat. The uni fell into corners and was really hard to get upright again. Especially with a lightweight (Foss) tube, the Lite has no structural rigidity of its own. It was a bit better at holding itself together with a regular black rubber 36er tube, but not what I would call good.

My solution has been to pump it up to high pressure--around 80 PSI, according to my cheapo gauge. Yes, that's over the recommended maximum of 65 PSI for the tire. Doing this makes the tire keep its shape when I'm riding hard, but it creates its own problems. I.e., the tire is now really hard. So little bumps cause increased saddle soreness over time. And because it doesn't flex that much, when it does lose grip, it loses it more suddenly.

I've also noticed this tire wearing much more quickly than the heavier Nightrider tire. I have some tread blocks that are splitting from the rest of the tire, and this is with less than half the mileage I put on the heavier version. Granted, this is with around 2000km on it, so I guess I shouldn't be that mad. The fact remains that the Lite is less durable. I wore the normal version down to the cords and I didn't have tread blocks separating from the tire (casing? I don't know what it's called).

The Lite is a little more nimble than the normal weight Nightrider, and I guess that matters a lot to some people. My take is this. Anytime I've installed lighter tubes, spokes, pedals, cranks, or this tire, I've gotten used to the change pretty quickly. And when I change back to a heavier part, I get used to that again quickly, too. My experience is that my fitness level is a much bigger factor in what I can do on the uni than weight-saving parts, especially if these parts compromise in other ways (like light pedals that aren't big/grippy enough, or a light tire that can't hold itself together except at high air pressures).

When I wear the Lite out, I'm going back to the normal Nightrider.

Edit: 1337th post. It feels like 2004 again!
                  Last edited by unisteve; 2020-05-12, 10:41 AM.
                  "...if a bunch of fellow unicyclists can't rally around, commiserate and say 'chin up, lad', then what is this world coming to?" -GILD

Comment

Working...
                  X