Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner - Club freestyle or nimbus 2? Which equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner - Club freestyle or nimbus 2? Which equipment?

https://www.unicycle.uk.com/20-club-...lack-tyre.htmlhttps://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle...cycle-red.html

I was initially thinking of buying the Club Freestyle as it is cheaper.
    However, there is currently an offer on the the Nimbus 2, which seems more robust and comfortable. And I will have to buy a proper freestyle unicycle at one point or another.
    What do you think? Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the nimbus 2 now instead of the club freestyle?

Before starting I'd also like to purchase mini pump, helmet, gloves and shins guard.
    The guards will mainly be used during my learning phase.
    I'll buy the helmet in my local store. However, I'll have to order gloves and shin guard online (unicycle.uk.com or amazon). Do you have any to recommend? I do not want something to massive or professional(expensive); however, I have to be sure that while learning my wrists are properly maintained, as I tend to strain them when falling.

Is there anything else I should purchase before starting?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

The splined hub on the Nimbus 2 would be worth the extra money, in my opinion.
    Level 1 Unicyclist
    D Licensed Skydiver
    Level 4 Silly Walker - government grant pending

Comment

Originally posted by super g View Post
      the splined hub on the nimbus 2 would be worth the extra money, in my opinion.
      +1

Comment

Get the Nimbus. In the future you can still upgrade to the Eclipse. Saweeeet!

Why a mini pump? Mini pumps are only good if you're taking them on the ride. Otherwise I'd get a good floor pump with a gauge. But if you do want a mini to bring with you, I recommend this one. Pardon the American pricing. This appears to be the modern version of the one I've used on the trail for many years. The folding handle makes it much more comfortable for pumping.

Buy good pads. If you really get into unicycling, the "learning phase" will last many years, and make you super fit! It's okay to start with cheap ones to get a taste of what works, but be prepared to wear them a lot.
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
          Get the Nimbus.
          +1
          Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
          Mini pumps are only good if you're taking them on the ride. Otherwise I'd get a good floor pump with a gauge.
          +1 Also, if you're on a 20," you're not going to ride far enough to want to carry stuff with you, and the correct tire pressure is a big question for unicyclists, so having a good floor pump with a gauge is more important than you might think.

Safety gear is not needed much for the kind of unicycling you are thinking of doing, unless you are elderly or obese. Some good wrap-around shin guards (with calf protection) will come in handy if you start doing tricks that involve jumping onto or off of the pedals, but just for avoiding beginner pedal bites, soccer shin guards are enough, and if you are careful, you can probably get away with not having them.

Comment

Hi iommoi

Comment

Nimbus!
              If your not sore, your not ridin' long enough!

Comment

Frankly, I wouldn't spend money on shin guards for learning or for juggling etc. I unicycle in a helmet most of the time but don't use one when I'm on the 20. I wouldn't carry a pump on a 20.

My longest day on a 20 was 20 miles, but that was for a special occasion. Mostly, 20s get ridden around an area the size of a tennis court.

If you're not going to jump off things or do crazy stunts, just buy a unicycle and learn to ride it. No need to overcomplicate it by dressing like Robocop.

I have owned many unicycles from 20 to 36 inch with square taper cranks and can remember when they were considered a pretty neat idea. Unquestionably, splined cranks are better for a number of reasons, but for a first uni for learning on, you won't notice the difference. The decision you need to make is therefore, do you buy the cheap one, expecting to buy a better one when you know what you want, or do you buy the more expensive one straight away and risk it not being quite suitable for your needs?
                My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

I purchased this set of pads three years ago and still use them although It's about time to replace them. I'd suggest where knee pads.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...wrL&ref=plSrch

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefule View Post

If you're not going to jump off things or do crazy stunts, just buy a unicycle and learn to ride it. No need to overcomplicate it by dressing like Robocop.
                    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
                      The decision you need to make is therefore, do you buy the cheap one, expecting to buy a better one when you know what you want, or do you buy the more expensive one straight away and risk it not being quite suitable for your needs?
                      Last edited by aracer; 2017-10-10, 05:20 PM.
                      Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

Comment

Ooooh, the Orkney Islands.
                          Lovely!!!!

Mr Jojoxie is from your neck of the woods

Comment

Haa, I heard there used to be a few unicyclists on Orkney, but I haven't seen a single one yet. I thought they were all gone.
                            I'm glad to know that I won't be alone

Comment

Originally posted by iommoi View Post
                              3/ I definitely want a freestyle unicycle and am pretty sure I won't wish to upgrade it for a while.
                              Yeah, as long as all you do is freestyle, a Nimbus 2 will definitely see you through at least the next couple of years- probably a lot longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X