Questions about handlebars and bike seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finnspin View Post
    The skill you need for riding SIF (properly) is distributing your weight evenly on your legs, no matter which position they are in.
    I stressed out my arms learning SIF. I had to hold onto the seat very tightly because I was not distributing my weight well on the pedals. Since then, however, I have learned how to ride two handed SIF, which greatly reduces the strain on the arms. Now, I can hold onto the seat gently with one hand. It has taken time to develop that skill. It has been pretty typical for me to have a rough, inelegant technique when learning new things. I read a lot of posts by good riders that seem to suggest that the way to learn new techniques is to perform them properly, as if proper technique is a antecedent to learning, rather than a consequence. Understanding good technique is fine, but I am even more interested in the series of baby steps that'll get me there.

When I am riding both hands on the bars, I don't think of balance as coming from the upper body. I think of it as coming from the center of the body, from the hips. I don't see what is slow about that form of balance. I am capable of making sudden hip motions with my hands on the bar ends.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
      When I am riding both hands on the bars, I don't think of balance as coming from the upper body. I think of it as coming from the center of the body, from the hips. I don't see what is slow about that form of balance. I am capable of making sudden hip motions with my hands on the bar ends.
      Your hands are a lot faster at making adjustments than your hips will ever be, that's why everyone rides one handed for difficult trails. On normal terrain, a good rider doesn't need the hand for adjustment, allowing them to have them both on the handle. As a rider get's better, his adjustments become slower and less frequent. Beginners flail their arms around like crazy, while better riders barely make any noticable motions to correct their point of balance.

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
      It has been pretty typical for me to have a rough, inelegant technique when learning new things. I read a lot of posts by good riders that seem to suggest that the way to learn new techniques is to perform them properly, as if proper technique is a antecedent to learning, rather than a consequence. Understanding good technique is fine, but I am even more interested in the series of baby steps that'll get me there.
      In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by finnspin View Post
        As a rider gets better, his adjustments become slower and less frequent.
        I am going to have to think about that. For me, it seems to apply to some situations, but not to others. For some conditions, I think my adjustments are getting smaller and more frequent, quick tiny adjustments that may not even register to an onlooker. On the other hand, As I improve, I'm able to better predict what kind of correction to make, giving me more time, slowing down the adjustment. I think your comment is correlated to beginners' inefficiency.

Comment

Working...
        X