Tubeless 27.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubeless 27.5

What would it take to go tubeless on a stock 2016 kh 27.5?
    KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
    Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
    Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

According to this the rim is tubeless compatible: http://www.unicycle.com/kris-holm-27...55mm-rim-2017/. That's 2017 though. Mine is a 2016. Havok seems tubeless compatible too: http://bicycle.kendatire.com/media/2...spec_sheet.pdf.

The problem here in Israel is lots of nasty thorns. I rarely have had flats before. Now without sealant I have one every few weeks. On inspection they are not pinch flats but very small pin pricks. And sometimes I actually see the thorn in the tire. The other advantage of tubeless would be that the correct innertubes are hard to come by here. I found a good shop and they only want about $25 to convert it. Seems worth it to me.
    Last edited by kahunacohen; 2017-09-05, 02:17 PM.

Comment

The 2016 drilled rim isn't tubeless ready. There are ways to make non-tubeless rims work but it's more work, and you usualy have to ride it with higher pressure than you would on a true tubeless rim.

What makes it tubeless vs non-tubeless is the rim profile on the inside. A tubeless rim will hold the tire on the sides of it, even without pressure. A non-tubeless rim is made like an arc on the inside, only pressure holds it on the sides of the rim.

Look up on youtube, there are several ways to make non-tubeless rims work as tubeless. I personnaly dont bother when it's not meant for it, it's either an excuse for another wheel or just pure lazyness hahaha.
      Jakob F.

Comment

Thanks for the info. So I guess the 2017 rim is tubeless ready? Actually after researching it a bit I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I'm kind of into simplicity and don't love the idea of having more complications when trying to change the tire. I'll stick with the tube for now and try taking out the valve core and putting in some sealant. Hopefully that will help with thorns.

Comment

You could use a system like Schwalbe Procore. Due to its construction the tire is securely fixed to the rim. As a result you can run as low pressure as you like even on a standard rim. Even with an unridable low pressure you wont have any burping.

Comment

Procore still requires a tubeless rim.

Comment

No, it does not have to be a tubeless rim. Of course you have to seal the rim if it is a standard rim (e.g. with a tubeless rim tape). My point is that Procore overcomes the disadvantages of standard rim design as mentioned by Jakob. It will securely connect the tire to the rim so that you can run any desired pressure.

Comment

Working...
              X