Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie - weak lower back question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newbie - weak lower back question

    Hi Guys,

    Just looking for your advice as I'm considering buying my second uni and actually learning to ride this time.

    My lower back is very weak, I'm over weight by a fair bit and I'm guessing core strength isn't worth talking about either so would it still be possible to at least learn to ride enough to go round the block? Or should I spend time beforehand walking, doing sit ups etc to increase strength?

    Thanks.
    Regards
    Becker

  • #2
    Hi Becker my back has never been better since learning to uni , I stuffed a disc and broke a bone surfing I was pretty fit before but I bet if you learn to uni you will loose weight it takes time and persistence to learn.
    This is the most stupid thing you have ever purchased. "WIFE"

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Thumper, now just to decide which uni to buy.
      Regards
      Becker

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by becker View Post
        Thanks Thumper, now just to decide which uni to buy.
        My lower back has bothered me only once since I started unicycling. This was before I got my first 20" unicycle. I practiced idling on my 26" mountain unicycle. Starting and stopping on the bigger wheel put a lot of stress on the muscles of my lower back.

        When buying a unicycle, consider the relationship between wheel size and crank size. To strengthen your lower back without straining it, I suggest using a relatively smaller wheel with relatively longer cranks. A 19" trials unicycle with 138mm cranks provides a lot of leverage.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ideally you would do traditional exercise AND work on unicycling. Riding a unicycle is great exercise, although your skills can improve to the point that it is not strenuous at all to ride. At that point, you need to expand your unicycle riding repertoire to increase the strenuousness if unicycling were to be your main exercise.

          If you are still working on actually learning to ride, that is significant exercise right there. I'd still recommend normal exercise as well. Who wouldn't?

          Good luck! Keep us posted. I always like hearing about someone going from overweight to fit.
          Level 1 Unicyclist
          D Licensed Skydiver
          Level 4 Silly Walker - government grant pending

          Comment


          • #6
            Good uni workout

            Get longer cranks and ride on the grass.
            It forces you "off the seat" work the big leg muscles.
            Plus, you don't have to go fast and if you fall the grass is soft.

            Forget about going for big wheels and short cranks just to keep up with the two wheelers on the bike path. Not saying that's what you are doing?

            It's a temptation for some unicyclists to fast forward and focus on speed/distance vs. skill/balance/power. The balance/power will help you burn calories and get fit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
              A 19" trials unicycle with 138mm cranks provides a lot of leverage.
              I am with my friend elpuebloUNIdo on this. If I could only have one uni it would by my 19" equinox street. It will do it all. Maybe not as fast or as far as other wheels but it is easier to learn new skills and they will transfer to other sizes. It is always in my trunk. I don't leave home with out it. But 125 cranks are better.

              Comment


              • #8
                I had a weak lower back and bad posture when I started riding in 2014. Now my back is virtually indestructible.

                I started with a 20 and flat ground, taking on hills I was comfortable with, progressing to steeper slopes that were on the edge of my capacity until I could ride them and eventually accelerate up them. Then move to a bigger wheel and repeat the sequence.

                I love the challenge of riding up hills. Aside from fitness, it requires a great deal of poise and core strength and is apparently perfect exercise for lower back strengthening.

                The key is to do it at the right level and don't be too ambitious. Achieving a moderate climb is much more motivating than continually failing on one that is too steep.
                Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
                  I suggest using a relatively smaller wheel with relatively longer cranks. A 19" trials unicycle with 138mm cranks provides a lot of leverage.
                  I appreciate the advice but I was thinking more along the lines of a 24in wheel as I知 hoping to ride to work on it once I知 confident. Work is only 2.7 miles from my house. I think the 19in would be a lot of work to ride for any distance.
                  Regards
                  Becker

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
                    I had a weak lower back and bad posture when I started riding in 2014. Now my back is virtually indestructible.

                    I started with a 20 and flat ground, taking on hills I was comfortable with, progressing to steeper slopes that were on the edge of my capacity until I could ride them and eventually accelerate up them. Then move to a bigger wheel and repeat the sequence.

                    I love the challenge of riding up hills. Aside from fitness, it requires a great deal of poise and core strength and is apparently perfect exercise for lower back strengthening.

                    The key is to do it at the right level and don't be too ambitious. Achieving a moderate climb is much more motivating than continually failing on one that is too steep.
                    Great advice OneTrackMind. Don稚 bite off more than you can chew. I値l keep that in mind.
                    Regards
                    Becker

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by becker View Post
                      I appreciate the advice but I was thinking more along the lines of a 24in wheel as I知 hoping to ride to work on it once I知 confident. Work is only 2.7 miles from my house. I think the 19in would be a lot of work to ride for any distance.
                      You should do fine on a 24. It sounds like I was in about the same shape when l learned at 46. I put all my effort into learning. Took it outside for the first real 40 foot ride the first of July fourteen years ago and could commute 4 miles each way by the end of September on a cheap Norco 24" with a nice KH seat. I had lost 20 pounds and didn't need high blood pressure meds anymore.

                      If you want to speed up core strength try a few plank exercises every other day. I didn't start plank exercises until years later when I started riding in hillclimb challenges.

                      Just go out, have fun, and be persistent.

                      Joe Myers
                      You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself....



                      ...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi Becker there are cheap 20" unis on gumtree which I think are easier to learn on then buy a larger uni and a 20 is good for learning new skills on in the back yard .
                        This is the most stupid thing you have ever purchased. "WIFE"

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X