X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unisphere
    replied
    Originally posted by treemonsterx View Post
    I guess I'm lucky I got knocked off without my leg getting messed up. Just putting this out here to remind y'all to be be careful out there.
    treemonsterx,
    I'm sorry to hear about this 'hit and run', but I'm very happy you are doing okay. The driver was clearly wrong and should have stopped.
    Thanks for sharing this story. It's a good reminder to all of us. Whether we are driving, riding or walking, the key to safety is 'paying attention'. However, what do we do when others don't. I still like riding on the street, but I run the risk when others don't pay attention or don't care of enough. Heck (yes, I said, "Heck,") I even stand further back from the curb when I'm a pedestrian and I'm waiting for the light to change.
    My driving skills improved when I learned how to ride a motorcycle. Everything and everyone became hazard and I started to assume that most people were not paying attention. Your unicycle repairs, although a pain, will be a lot less painful than the injuries you did not incur.

To all, be well, stay alert and ride another day.

Leave a comment:

• aracer
    replied
    Not in the UK either

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/

and of course we get the same old shit - see the responses to this posting from the POLICE about a road safety initiative for cyclists:
    https://www.facebook.com/EdinburghPo...62504914005682
    Last edited by aracer; 2017-04-27, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LanceB
    replied
    If one happens to get into a discussion about the correctness of cycles on roads, it may be useful to point out that it was bicycle groups that were largely responsible for bringing good paved road surfaces into common use, well before automobiles came along. (ref.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League...can_Bicyclists) I think a lot of automobile drivers think cars brought us good roads, but they are incorrect. (In the USA, anyway, not sure about other places in the world.)

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Originally posted by MUCFreerider View Post
    Buy an expensive car and you _deserve_ to drive however _you_ want because you're important, so get outta my way loser.
    Except it doesn't have to be expensive.
    Even in Portland OR ("the" US bike city) where 90% of the drivers are super bike-conscious I had a guy in a pickup truck who intentionally tried to run me over (he was obviously not from the city but from rural ultra-conservative Oregon).
    Pickups. The higher the better. At least there's a preferred vehicle for A-holes. Most pickup drivers are fine, but I always pay extra attention when one is coming my way.

And BTW, isn't Davis, CA "the" US bike city? Because it's a much smaller city, it might have a higher proportion of non-Ahole drivers...
    (Okay, I just looked it up. Davis is apparently too small to be included in online lists of "top US cities for cycling but Portland is not!)

Leave a comment:

• MUCFreerider
    replied
    Originally posted by Unitardis View Post
    Where does this idea "don't belong on the street" even come from? "Says you, ahole" is what I think when I hear it. There are signs on many streets that explicitly say, "share the road." So this "don't belong on the road" BS is just the impulse of an ahole asserting might makes right. "I'm bigger than you so get the f out my way you stupid dork," is what they are thinking. I want to throttle these people. I think I'd be tempted to figure out where they live and put a brick through their window. Their van shouldn't have been in the way of my brick. F them. People who think the only thing that matters is power ruin lives and destroy what is commonly ours and meant to be shared. I hate them.
    Unfortunately it seems to be universal and the same in almost all countries and places. I think it's probably a result of the advertising (propaganda) of the big money auto industry: that by driving a car you are "free" and own the road and it makes you king. Buy an expensive car and you _deserve_ to drive however _you_ want because you're important, so get outta my way loser.

Every place I've ever lived has had a number of these idiots. Even in Portland OR ("the" US bike city) where 90% of the drivers are super bike-conscious I had a guy in a pickup truck who intentionally tried to run me over (he was obviously not from the city but from rural ultra-conservative Oregon). Germany, Texas, Oregon, Massachusetts, Italy... different levels of bike-awareness but the idiot "I own the road" and "I'm so cool in my BMW" guys are sadly everywhere (OK, a lot fewer in Portland). And the developed world is even worse (driving a car means you're rich and naturally more important so everyone else should get out of the way).

At least some states have the "share the road" campaigns which I actually think have helped awareness (although after 25+ years of such campaigns in Texas the effects outside of Austin are not readily apparent). But I guess every little bit helps.

Leave a comment:

• Unitardis
    replied
    usually because of some idea like "bikes/unicycles don't belong on the street and are slowing me down so I need to teach this guy a lesson and put him in his place".
    Where does this idea "don't belong on the street" even come from? "Says you, ahole" is what I think when I hear it. There are signs on many streets that explicitly say, "share the road." So this "don't belong on the road" BS is just the impulse of an ahole asserting might makes right. "I'm bigger than you so get the f out my way you stupid dork," is what they are thinking. I want to throttle these people. I think I'd be tempted to figure out where they live and put a brick through their window. Their van shouldn't have been in the way of my brick. F them. People who think the only thing that matters is power ruin lives and destroy what is commonly ours and meant to be shared. I hate them.

Leave a comment:

• treemonsterx
    replied
    Thanks for all the nice replies, I don't think there's much hope for ever catching him, as all I know is black man in a black sedan with small dent on the front left of his car. I'm not going to stop riding or anything, what I meant by that was I don't have a unicycle for the street. I'm temporarily confined to the mini-fat and oregon

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Originally posted by treemonsterx View Post
    ...he looked right at me, and it was early afternoon, so I don't really know what I could have done.
    Died, if things had gone differently. By leaving the scene of the accident, that driver committed a crime, and it should be reported, even if you don't have a plate #. (Not sure what the point would be, but we shouldn't be quiet when such things happen either). Doesn't matter if you were injured or not; neither of you is a doctor and that guy is guilty by leaving, regardless of your condition.
    Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
    ...there's no need to tell us to be careful as ... this was 100% on the driver.
    Actually, still plenty of reason to remind each other to be careful out there, because there are still way too many inattentive or just dangerous drivers who don't take their job (as drivers) seriously enough.
    Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
    ...there is always a danger that someone will say you shouldn't be "riding one of those" on the road.
    True, but let them say it in court. Even if you're pushing a walker on the side of the road, I still think it's against the law to run you over (or run you off the road) in most countries. Don't take it lying down.
    Originally posted by Bradford View Post
    ...I can't count the number of times people have tried to run me over on a crosswalk, and then flipped me off and cussed me out afterwards. In fact, the last time that happened, I was walking my 36er across the most conspicuously labelled crosswalk in North America, and after a lady in a BMW almost killed me, she held up traffic to flip me off and cuss me out, and she never even hung up her cell phone to do it.
    Thanks for reminding me not to move to Texas!
    Apparently the car driver had driven directly to the police station (I guess as an attempt to protect himself because he knew he had done wrong) and reported that a crazy guy on a bike had attacked his van and banged on the side window leaving a handprint on the window and they were barely able to "escape" without any more damage to the vehicle. The police had apparently confirmed the handprint on the window and then told me there were 5 people in the van so it was the word of 5 people against mine, so I was SOL.
    Really? Is that really how it works? Five people in the vehicle and their stories actually all agree! So ask them separately to describe the incident. Too late, unfortunately. How did this "crazy" cyclist threaten your van on a super-narrow street?

And this in the country that has perhaps the best drivers (and driver education) on Earth! It seems, sometimes, that cyclists have less legal rights on the road than even pedestrians do.
    Originally posted by Ulkicycling View Post
    ...wearing my bright yellow safety vest on the driveway, slowed down to approximately 20kph at the crossroad and got hit by a truck. "I didn't see you".
    A great lesson! And a reminder to all of us; sometimes, even when there's no logical explanation, drivers won't see you; often because they aren't looking for anything but other cars/trucks. Never give them the benefit of the doubt. Look for braking, eye contact or other signs that they are reacting to you, or otherwise assume that they aren't.

My wife and I are fortunate to have a very long, very nice bike path in our area, and another area with loads of other bike paths through neighborhoods (and they connect; Folsom, California). We mostly ride there for the above reasons, plus it's more quiet and pleasant. When we go on organized bike rides, however, those are on 2-lane country roads. Traffic is light, but you have to "trust" the cars to notice you when they are approaching from behind. It takes a bit of faith!

Glad you were all okay in your incidents. Keep your eyes and ears open!

Leave a comment:

• Ulkicycling
    replied
    2 years ago on a cloudless sunny day, traveling at 27kph wearing my bright yellow safety vest on the driveway, slowed down to approximately 20kph at the crossroad and got hit by a truck. "I didn't see you".
    My thoughts: On a g36 I also don't always give way and when I drive a car I am also not perfect. Every bicycle driver would have been hurt, for me it was nothing at all due to my protectors and being used to UPD. My Schlumpf hub survived.
    So I decided to give a small hug to the shocked driver. At home I had to adjust the spoke tensions.
    Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
    Thank Gd you're ok.
    I totally agree and I am learning to add:
    "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
    For me that resulted in feeling much better to be glad and not to feel anger.

Leave a comment:

• MUCFreerider
    replied
    Too bad you didn't get a license plate! At least legally hit-and-run is a pretty severe offense (officialy leaving the scene of an accident).

Although even then you never know: I had a really strange/bad experience a few years ago on my bike (although luckily I was not injured and nothing damaged). It was a narrow street with parked cars so only enough space for one vehicle to pass (common on residential streets in Germany/Europe). I was already in the narrow section and the cars were parked on the other side of the street (i.e. 2 reasons why the driver coming in the other diection had to slow down or stop), but a van coming towards me, who obviously must have seen me as I was right in front of him, just keeps on driving full speed. I slowed down and almost stopped and got as close to the curb as possible, as I had no place to go as I was right next to the curb, and I kept thinking he was going to slow down. But no, he kept on coming. There was mabye 6 inches between the side of the van and the curb and I squinched as close to the curb as possible and then he came right by, and I had to lean my bike to the side and jerk my hips out of the way of the side mirror and then as I was about to fall from leaning and afraid I was going to get caught and land under the moving vehicle I pushed off of the side window as hard as I could and jumped to the side over the curb and rolled into the grass (luckily no trees and only soft grass). It made a huge thump when I pushed off, so even if he hadn't seen me by then (impossible unless he was driving with his eyes closed), he must have then seen me. As I fell and rolled into the grass and my bike crashed on top of me, the driver continued at speed and drove off without even stopping to see if I was injured! As I came to a stop in the grass I managed to make out his license plate and repeated it over and over and promptly wrote it down. There was a witness who was concerned if I was hurt and commented how dangerous the driver had been (but I was shaken up and didn't get his information as a witness). And here comes the worst part: although not unjured I was totally freaked out and checked my bike a few times and amazingly it was fine from falling on the curb and in the grass and must have not been hit by the van, and as I landed in the grass and rolled I was also not injured, so I collected myself and rode home. About 30 minutes later I decided I had to report it to the police and called and was told to go the local station to make a report, so I did. There I asked to talk to someone about being hit by a car and hit-and-run and explained my story including a description of the vehicle and the license plate. Well I hadn't gotten very far when the police respond, "Oh, we know all about it already." At first I thought, ah wonderful, but then it turned bad. Apparently the car driver had driven directly to the police station (I guess as an attempt to protect himself because he knew he had done wrong) and reported that a crazy guy on a bike had attacked his van and banged on the side window leaving a handprint on the window and they were barely able to "escape" without any more damage to the vehicle. The police had apparently confirmed the handprint on the window and then told me there were 5 people in the van so it was the word of 5 people against mine, so I was SOL. I objected, and they said something about how I should watch out and not act so crazy on the bike and can't go around hitting cars. Unbelievable!

<rant-start> Of course, the other real problem legally is that the police usually won't do anything unless there's property damage or injury (I've had a few other near-death incidents where the police then said, "Well, there's no property damage and no aparent injury, so there's nothing to report, so case closed."). If a unicylce/bike is at fault and runs into the side of a vehicle it probably makes some scatches causing a few hundred in damage. The same accident with the motor vehicle at fault then either results in no property damage (thus nothing to report) or major personal injury! (even if the court doesn't sway to the side of the car driver as too often happens, then the insurance usually pays so the driver still won't actually be punished.) <rant-over>

Although I sometimes get comments (no, yelled at) about being unreasonable unsafe and "asking to die" while unicycling (while the large majority of the comments towards the unicylce are positive), I actually feel safer riding the unicycle on the streets than a bike. On my 36er in particular, it's much less likely that someone will not see me, as I am so tall, but also otherwise conspicuous. You still have the danger of the freak drivers who intentionally try to run you over (like my story above), usually because of some idea like "bikes/unicycles don't belong on the street and are slowing me down so I need to teach this guy a lesson and put him in his place". Fortunately they are very uncommon. Unfortunately it only takes one.

Glad you're ok, but a bummer that now you're stuck with the costs from this idiot driver.

Leave a comment:

• Juni
    replied
    Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
    Thank Gd you're ok. Glad to hear you'll be unicycling another day, though maybe not on the street.
    I've been hit by a car before, in my early days of riding 36ers, resulting in a broken thumb and toe. Since then I've ridden thousands of miles on the roads with no problems, and plan on starting a uni-tour by the end of the year.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is DON'T GIVE UP! If road riding is your thing then stick at it. Don't let that one idiot driver put you off...

Leave a comment:

• kahunacohen
    replied
    Thank Gd you're ok. Glad to hear you'll be unicycling another day, though maybe not on the street.

Leave a comment:

• Bradford
    replied
    Sorry to hear about the unicycle. Glad you're OK. This is why I don't ride on the street anymore and while my motorcycle is collecting dust in the garage. Unless you're in a car on the road, it's just too dangerous, and even then.... I can't count the number of times people have tried to run me over on a crosswalk, and then flipped me off and cussed me out afterwards. In fact, the last time that happened, I was walking my 36er across the most conspicuously labelled crosswalk in North America, and after a lady in a BMW almost killed me, she held up traffic to flip me off and cuss me out, and she never even hung up her cell phone to do it. That was the proverbial straw for me. That happened less than a mile from where a woman ran a red light and rolled and totaled my Xterra. You can never be too careful. Be safe!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chrashing
    replied
    That is terrible news, Glad you are ok, sorry about your wheel.

Leave a comment:

• Juni
    replied
    Sorry to hear it mate... Shame on that driver for not stopping to sort it out!
    Luckily you still have your health (and life) to ride another day

Leave a comment:

Working...
X