I don't understand UDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand UDC

UDC seems chaotic lately. As far as I know, they manage the UDC brand, Nimbus Unicycles and Impact Unicycles, and ever since they started managing Impact, I was confused by their choice to offer the Impact Athmos as a beginner 20" trials, sharing a market with the Nimbus ones. Personally, I would have liked for the market to stay the same, with Nimbus as a solid but a bit low tech brand, and Impact/Kris Holm/Mad4One as the premium options. But maybe there is gains to be had that I don't see, that's not the part that really confused me.

Did any of you guys notice there are 24" and 26" Impact frames now? I could only find them on UDC UK (noticed it when i saw this: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/blog/new-...ity-disc-muni/ )
    We have had the Impact Gravity frame in 24" & 26" on the site for a while and have received some great feedback from the few customers who have built one into a Muni of there own.
    I am not sure when they launched it, but I went back through their Blog to 2015 and could not find a note of it. Blog posts about the red Impact t-shirts being back, but not about a new product? I wonder why it was only a few that bought it... It's not on the Impact Website either, and I get that when it comes to the complete Uni, since it's only half Impact parts, but the Frame could be there, don't you think?

Maybe there is a deep reason I am failing to see, or something I missed, but it looks like UDC needs additional help to me...
    Last edited by finnspin; 2017-01-31, 04:11 PM.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

And all of the new Nimbus saddle bases (e.g. Stadium) and handles are labeled Impact (DD).
    Einradfahren in Sachsen:
    einradsachsen.com
    f/EinradSachsen
    07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
      And all of the new Nimbus saddle bases (e.g. Stadium) and handles are labeled Impact (DD).
      I had noticed this when I bought the Stadium saddle, and went looking to see if Impact had been bought by UDC, but I didn't see anything. I just assumed they were working together.

As far as the Impact frame, when I was looking for a new 26" muni frame a couple of months ago, I decided against Impact because of the oddball bearing size it uses. The frame does come with the bearings, so maybe that shouldn't have been a deciding issue, but it probably hurts sales. In the end I bought a Mad4One.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
        I didn't know that, weird. if you are going to brand them, why not brand them UDC ?
        I mean, I have been following the unicycle market for long enough to know most brands are somewhat related or cooperating in some way or the other (not sure about URC and Mad4One), since it is just such an insanely small market that we are seriously lucky to have multiple brands. But for someone new to unicycling it must be confusing.

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
        I had noticed this when I bought the Stadium saddle, and went looking to see if Impact had been bought by UDC, but I didn't see anything. I just assumed they were working together.
        As far as I am aware, Impact is run by UDC since at least 3 years ago.

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
        As far as the Impact frame, when I was looking for a new 26" muni frame a couple of months ago, I decided against Impact because of the oddball bearing size it uses.
        Yep, I don't understand that part either. I have not had a chance to try a uni with those personally, but no one seems to think of them as a huge advantage. And even then, I thought they were meant as an improvement for unispins and similar tricks, not sure why they would put them on a Muni frame.
        In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

They're lighter, not sure how much that matters. Does it actually matter that they are a different size, how is it inconvenient?

On the question of URC and M4O, I'm pretty sure its the same company, they are both owned by Marco Vitale.
          ... and nipples, never forget the nipples.
          Saskatchewanian

Comment

Originally posted by Superbant View Post
            They're lighter, not sure how much that matters. Does it actually matter that they are a different size, how is it inconvenient?
            A wheelswap becomes a long job. I used to really like swapping my parts out (mainly round frame for trials, square for flat on my 19" wheelset and swapping the aluminum frame onto my freestyle uni from time to time, when it wasn't occupied with the 19" ). But you are right it probably inconviniences very few people.
            On the question of URC and M4O, I'm pretty sure its the same company, they are both owned by Marco Vitale.
            I know that part, I do not quite know the inner workings of how they do or do not collaborate with UDC/KrisHolm/Quax, whereas I have a decent understanding on how these three work together, share the same retailing network etc. (I think).

Comment

Originally posted by Superbant View Post

It is highly inconvenient with swapping wheelsets. Often you may break something and to continue your ride it is easier to just swap the wheel set with another you may have until you fix it. Sometimes friends borrow your wheel for whatever reason (happened last week with me)

Additionally the smaller bearings are shithouse. Originally it was made of two twin bearings to make up the width. These were rubbish and broke so they created a new one which was one bearing and thicker.

I know a rider who has broken 3 bearings since October last year. The first one was the dual bearing, the second two are the "better" single bearing.

The last bearing broke 3 weeks after being installed after being used for flatland. The entire side of the bearing came out and all the ball bearings with it.

Comment

Originally posted by finnspin View Post
                UDC seems chaotic lately. As far as I know, they manage the UDC brand, Nimbus Unicycles and Impact Unicycles, and ever since they started managing Impact, I was confused by their choice to offer the Impact Athmos as a beginner 20" trials, sharing a market with the Nimbus ones. Personally, I would have liked for the market to stay the same, with Nimbus as a solid but a bit low tech brand, and Impact/Kris Holm/Mad4One as the premium options. But maybe there is gains to be had that I don't see, that's not the part that really confused me.

Did any of you guys notice there are 24" and 26" Impact frames now? I could only find them on UDC UK (noticed it when i saw this: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/blog/new-...ity-disc-muni/ )
                I am not sure when they launched it, but I went back through their Blog to 2015 and could not find a note of it. Blog posts about the red Impact t-shirts being back, but not about a new product? I wonder why it was only a few that bought it... It's not on the Impact Website either, and I get that when it comes to the complete Uni, since it's only half Impact parts, but the Frame could be there, don't you think?

Maybe there is a deep reason I am failing to see, or something I missed, but it looks like UDC needs additional help to me...
                The Impact Gravity 24 was at Unicon Spain mid 2016. That was the first I have seen of it.

And if we want to talk about crazy. In 2014 I was told KH only supplies to UDC in each country and if you want to sell KH stuff you have to buy from UDC therefore paying a higher price than UDC pays.
                In the past I can see how that was a decent idea as it makes it easier for KH to ship his stuff and they were competing in different markets. However now UDC owns Impact and has a large number of high end unicycles competing against KH.

KH 24-36 all compete with Oracles and nightfox
                Kh20s compete with Equinox and Impact Gravity Reagent.

UDC has no incentive that I can see for pushing KH over their own brand, they will almost certainly make a higher profit selling their own stuff unless their manufacturing costs are crazy expensive. At Unicon 2014 the Impact Gravity was everywhere in their store with the KHs tucked away in the back of their truck that you didn't see.

Why would you exclusively supply to what is now your main competitor?

Perhaps things have changed since then or perhaps the person who told me had old information but looking at individuals who sell unicycles in most countries it appears to be true. They rarely sell KH, almost always Quax which are easier to get hold of. Only big stores like CDK france and Marco Vitales Unirota sell KH
                Last edited by Pinoclean; 2017-01-31, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Those Impact frames are sexy, I'm glad to see they're getting bigger But damn they're expensive!

I also had no idea that UDC owns Impact either. Let's hope they don't become some sort of monopoly
                  “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Comment

Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
                    some sort of monopoly
                    A unopoly.
                    Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoclean View Post
                      And if we want to talk about crazy. In 2014 I was told KH only supplies to UDC in each country and if you want to sell KH stuff you have to buy from UDC therefore paying a higher price than UDC pays.
                      In the past I can see how that was a decent idea as it makes it easier for KH to ship his stuff and they were competing in different markets. However now UDC owns Impact and has a large number of high end unicycles competing against KH.
                      I don't think that's true anymore (if ever). KH 26" on ajata.com :669€, on municycle.com (udc Germany) 669€. Their supply chains are linked I think, but I believe you are making the unicycle market more hostile than it is.

KH 24-36 all compete with Oracles and nightfox
                      Kh20s compete with Equinox and Impact Gravity Reagent.
                      I disagree with most of these. Maybe the 36" Oracle and the Impact Gravity compete with the equivalent KH. The Equinox just is not as good in stock form, and neither are the Oracles. They aren't meant to be.

Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
                      Let's hope they don't become some sort of monopoly
                      Let's be honest:

1. There are now more good quality Unicycle brands than ever. Impact, Kris Holm, Qu-ax (has a high end lineup now too), Mad4One, Nimbus, URC.
                      2. The Unicycle.com Network has almost always been the primary dealer of unicycles. I don't think Kris Holm unicycles or Impact unicycles would have ever had a chance without an existing distribution network.

With that said, what I am really interested in is what UDC's thinking was (if any occured) when launching a product so silently that I could hardly find information about it, and what their brand strategy of the Impact Athmos vs. the Nimbus Trials (these two ARE direct competitors, Pinoclean) is, since having them occupy different market's like Kris Holm and Nimbus do does not seem to be entirely it.

Comment

I don't think that's true anymore (if ever). KH 26" on ajata.com :669€, on municycle.com (udc Germany) 669€. Their supply chains are linked I think, but I believe you are making the unicycle market more hostile than it is.
                        Just because ajata.com and municycle.com sell the unicycle for the same price does not mean they buy it for the same price. Assuming that unicycles have a markup of greater than 2x cost price, a unicycle that costs $200 to make by KH is sold to UDC for $300. If UDC distributes it to ajata they almost certainly sell it for more than they buy it from KH, say $330. Both UDC and Ajata then sell it for the $600, if Ajata sold it for more to make back the $30 no one would buy from them. Selling it for the same price as UDC Ajata still makes a large profit on it, but less than UDC makes. So we cannot assume that because another company sells for the same price as UDC that they receive it for the same price.

The person who told me the details ran their own store, and sold KH's so it was definitely true at one point. I am assuming it still is true based on the fact that it is so rare that individual stores sell KH's.

I disagree with most of these. Maybe the 36" Oracle and the Impact Gravity compete with the equivalent KH. The Equinox just is not as good in stock form, and neither are the Oracles. They aren't meant to be.
                        They may not compete exactly 1 to 1 in stock form however if you compare the UDC UK store the Oracle 26 is $660* the KH is $860*. For the $200 extra you can change parts before purchase or change parts after purchase and I am sure you will end up with a unicycle that is basically as good as the KH or very few will notice a difference. Similar with Equinox ($490) KH 20 ($615).

Because of this I think they are very much competing, unlike before where the only nimbus trials was the "Nimbus II" knee basher in steel, and the nimbus II heavy as a tank mountain uni.

*Ive used Australian dollars equivalent of the gbp in prices because the pound is harder for me to work out differences.

Comment

Did you know that Kris Holm has another job unrelated to unicycles? Pretty amazing that that he essentially has two jobs and a family. Maybe this is one of the reason his products are distributed through UDC.
                          Last edited by Vertigo; 2017-02-01, 03:35 AM.

Comment

URC and Mad4One are the same company with 2 levels of quality, now Marco Vitale is producing in Taiwan, no more in Italy, much more cheaper solution

Kris is 50% geologist, 50% KHU manager

CDK is buing KH unicycles from Municycle if I'm right, may be with special discount considering the high volumes of sales; CDK is getting Impact unis from UDC.UK. CDK is still getting QU-AX unis from Laribouldingue even Laribouldingue has very low sales for unis.

KH unis prices are "recommended" by KHU, in the past some shops in USA were selling KH unis with very good price, now they don't sell KH unis anymore ...

Yoggi who was trial world champion created Koxx One in association with French BMX bike company Koxx, then he created Impact when he left Koxx One, he sold Impact to UDC because of not enough market to make money. Koxx and Koxx One are no more existing
                            http://monocycle.info
                            http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
                            CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
                            my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoclean View Post
                              They may not compete exactly 1 to 1 in stock form however if you compare the UDC UK store the Oracle 26 is $660* the KH is $860*. For the $200 extra you can change parts before purchase or change parts after purchase and I am sure you will end up with a unicycle that is basically as good as the KH or very few will notice a difference.
                              200$ extra is roughly 30% of the original price. Yes, the difference in quality not huge except for the cranks, but but every single part of a Kris Holm is a bit better, and one of the best on the market (excluding the super premium triton/ made in italy mad4one stuff). I ride an oracle 26" with some different parts on it as my muni as well, and like it, but the decision for it was made because it was second hand and cheap. I might have lost the beginners perspective a bit, but things like a stiffer frame are great, the difference between 25.4mm vs 27.2mm seatpost is not noticable when riding, but 25.4mm posts break too easily, a lighter wheel is nice, things like that.
                              Similar with Equinox ($490) KH 20 ($615).
                              Because of this I think they are very much competing, unlike before where the only nimbus trials was the "Nimbus II" knee basher in steel, and the nimbus II heavy as a tank mountain uni.
                              I am sorry if you bought one, but the Nimbus Equinox (Trials) is not even available anymore in most places. They put essentially a freestyle frame on a Trials Uni, and they broke easily.

Nimbus has evolved yes, but so has Kris Holm and all other brands. But just because the Nimbus stuff now is better than the Nimbus stuff back in the day, it does not mean that the Kris Holm stuff has not evolved along. There are almost no cases of broken KH frames anymore. The Seatposts last longer. The Hubs don't have breaking flanges or make creaking noises.

Kris Holm unicycles are 200$ "better" than Nimbus. If almost every part on something is a bit better, and there is a 24% price difference, they are not competing directly in my eyes. Maybe think of them as 600$ vs 800$ Laptops of the same model, the 800$ one will have a faster response, more storage, maybe a better screen. Both will get your emails fine, browse the internet but you will have to have them run some really demanding to notice a bigger difference.

I didn't want to turn this in a KH vs. Nimbus debate, so this will be the last post I make on the are Nimbus and Kris Holm competitors topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X