No announcement yet.

Documentary - The Unicycle Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a really interesting thread, thanks very much! It's a real inspiration seeing someone with such a messy workshop producing great stuff - I've no excuses now... although I'd argue ours is worse.

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
    does this notify people?
    John, I've just visited your website and read the whole garage section. It's really interesting, the garage section is like a complete time capsule! I'm yet to read the rest of it, don't want to binge-read the whole lot, like I have just done with this thread.

Cheers, Kit.
    20", 24" with Muni tyre, Nimbus Nightrider 36"

If you're ever feeling down about your skills in unicycling feel free to watch my unicycle videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KitibobOutdoors

Comment

• My shop is probably worse, there is 10 CNC machines shoved in a 90ft x 24 ft building with several manual machines in there too.

As for TUF, My 40" was made before I was born and it still rides great.

Comment

• Kitibob - You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.

crazyunicyclerNJ - That's great to hear about your 40". I'd like to see a picture of it.

Documentary Update:

I last stated I hoped to have the documentary online by the end of June. Unfortunately I've had delays of all types slowing me down. I also managed to injure myself which put a crimp in my 7.5 footer practice. I'm about healed up from that, so I should be riding high (practicing) again soon. So I'm now shooting for sometime in July to wrap it up. I've got so many hours in it that I can't stand the thought of cutting any corners.
        Level 1 Unicyclist
        D Licensed Skydiver
        Level 4 Silly Walker - government grant pending

Comment

• And here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWPwJsU7vSM&t=28s
          Level 1 Unicyclist
          D Licensed Skydiver

Comment

• Originally posted by Super G View Post
            Hello everybody,

I used to be a regular here a few years back. I'm glad to see many of my friends are still on the forum.

I'm writing to share a project I'm working on with Tommi Miller. He is the President and Employee of the Month at The Unicycle Factory. He is also the sole employee. For those that don't know, he is a unicycle expert. He has made unicycles of all types for his entire career. He is also an excellent rider and used to perform often on tall giraffe's (up to 24 feet.) I could go on and on about his accomplishments, but I'll save that for another time.

So I called him up recently and told him I wanted to order a 7 1/2 footer. Why that particular size? Because I've been riding a 5 footer in parades and aspire to ride a 10 footer. A 7 1/2 footer would bridge that gap. He responded by making me an offer I couldn't refuse. Knowing that I have video editing skills, he offered to show me how to make it for just the cost of the materials. In exchange, I would make a documentary of the project and post it to youtube. The intent of the documentary is to educate potential buyers so they understand how much goes into the product.

To clarify, he usually charges around $700 for a 7 footer. Taller giraffe's cost more than that. Most people find the prices too high. What they don't understand is the amount of time, expertise and attention to detail that goes into them. You see, a Unicycle Factory giraffe will typically outlast the person buying it. If you know anyone who has one, ask them how it has held up.

I gladly accepted the offer and we agreed to get together once a week, usually on a Sunday. As of this writing, the frame is now complete. A small bit of cleanup is needed and it's off for powder coating.

I'm happy to report I've done the majority of the work with the notable exception of the welding. Tommi offered to let me try it mid-way. I declined because so much work had gone into the frame that I didn't want to screw it up. Tools used so far include a milling machine, lathe, grinding wheel, torch, ban saw, brake (for bending metal), vernier caliper and several tools made by Tommi himself which I will show later.

For your amusement I will post blog style pics showing the progression. Today's teaser pic shows the frame right before welding on the steps. Feel free to ask questions as I go. Tommi said he would enjoy answering them. Do understand though that one of Tommi's many quirks is that he shuns computers and the internet. You can either call him up on the phone, or ask thru me. I embrace computers and the world wide interweb.
            I did a search and came across this thread. Great work Super G
            Last edited by Gockie; 2019-11-29, 11:35 PM.
            If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

Comment

• Thank you Gockie!
              Level 1 Unicyclist
              D Licensed Skydiver

Comment

Working...
              X