Another beginner - Devon UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 29/24

Unicycling in the dark this evening! For various reasons I couldn't get away until later than I intended, and then found that they were digging up all the roads I needed to get to the skatepark, so by the time I got there I only had half an hour of something approximately like light. As no-one else was insane enough to be there, I had the place to myself and could roam around a bit with the poles, practising hip-twisting without risking being run over by kids on bikes. I know no-one here seems to like the idea of poles, but I think they have potential. I watched the original video that gave me the encouragement to try them again, and I think what I like about his method is that he gets to learn to unicycle at the kind of sedate pace that I would like to achieve. http://youtu.be/VQ5Vl2puMeU
    Also managed to gouge the back of my lower calf a bit with a pedal when pushing away from the fence - typically it was a bit of flesh that wouldn't have been covered by anything much short of full body armour. No blood though.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions - it does help! Though, Regina, I think the difference between you and me is s significant one - you can unicycle! Maybe not as well as you want to, but you can do it! I can't! So long as I focus on the process, that's OK - I'm enjoying learning - and you are right, it doesn't really matter how long it takes me, but I can't help catching sight of the goal and realising how much MORE enjoyable it would be to Just. Be. Able. To . Unicycle. Plus I wouldn't have to drive to the stupid skatepark, I could just pootle round my neighbourhood, which is pretty much ideal for unicycling. Plus there is always the sneaking suspicion that when people say 'anyone can learn if they just stick with it' they don't really have any way of knowing whether all the people who post here a couple of times and then are never heard from again stopped because they stopped trying or stopped because they were the ones that actually couldn't do it. But in the interest of future generations, you have my promise (or threat) that I will continue posting here to the bitter end and beyond. So if it turns out that mine is the brain that never clicks, you'll know about it.
    Heading for the outskirts of Awesome, one fall at a time.
    Arrived at Outer Awesome city limits 26/10/2016, Day 86 of practicing!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinningwoman View Post
      So if it turns out that mine is the brain that never clicks, you'll know about it.
      I have had the same concerns about learning certain techniques. I wondered if I'd ever learn to ride with the seat dragging dragging behind. That is considered a prerequisite to riding an ultimate wheel. When I first practiced it, I let go of the seat and I immediately tipped over. Then one day I rode a single revolution. Then, a couple days ago, I rode two full revolutions with the seat dragging behind. On the one hand, I accomplished baby steps; on the other hand, it was huge (and I could feel the pleasure hormones kick in). My point is: make sure you understand that your baby steps are HUGE. If you previously rode one unassisted revolution, then you ride two, that is HUGE. Don't be ashamed to measure your progress in the smallest increments. Learning to unicycle was intimidating for me, too. Embrace the intimidation. Thanks for sharing your ongoing struggle with us; you've got a lot of supporters on this forum!

Comment

Day 30/25

The only slot I could make for the skatepark today was before work, so I managed to get myself there. After the late session yesterday, it felt like maybe I should just have slept there. It was a really good session - I might try and do the early morning slot more regularly. More wandering with the sticks, practicing getting my hips involved. A really heavy fall well landed on my forearms when the aerobic step skittered backwards instead of the unicycle moving forwards - may have to rethink that on concrete. And TWO runs of six pedals - one launching into space and one while running along the fence and veering away. So feeling quite positive after that. And it was nice and cool for a change, though I was still drenched with sweat by the end of it.

Comment

Quote: And TWO runs of six pedals - one launching into space and one while running along the fence and veering away. So feeling quite positive after that. And it was nice and cool for a change, though I was still drenched with sweat by the end of it.

See. you CAN unicycle if you try...!!
          I am not really old, I just highlight my hair to look more extinguished..

Comment

Originally posted by Regina Wrecks View Post
            Quote:
            See. you CAN unicycle if you try...!!
            Not really - I'm still at the Buzz Lightyear stage of flying - sometimes it takes me a little longer than usual to fall over! But at least I can see the distant signpost to the outskirts of Awesome from here...

Comment

[QUOTE=Spinningwoman;1673819]Not really - I'm still at the Buzz Lightyear stage of flying - sometimes it takes me a little longer than usual to fall over! QUOTE]

That's the whole essence of unicycling - falling over! A major breakthrough for me came when I was falling forward and, instead of bailing, I pedalled faster to bring the uni back under me. Counterintuitive.

When asked about learning to unicycle, I say it's like learning to walk - a controlled fall. The other thing is that usually, we learn to walk when we are young, small and with nappies (diapers) on so falling tends to be less damaging.

Jerry
              "One wheel good: two wheels bad"
              George OneWheel, "Unicycle Farm"

Comment

Hi Spinningwoman,
                Did you get my PM about hand holds on either side rather than the wall? That's what worked best for me. Keep at it!!!

Comment

Yes,57unirider, I got that, thanks but unfortunately I live and work in a world devoid of corridors. (I'm a vicar) I loved your video unicycling round the school! The only two places I could find with a wall or rail both sides are either the high footbridge over the local main road, which is bristling with 'no cycling' signs as well as being about 50 feet up so I would look like I was practicing for some kind of public show, or between the pews or down the choir corridor behind the organ at church. I seriously considered smuggling my uni into the latter but it is only about 20 feet long, and I don't think it would go down well with the organist. Plus I would probably die of dust inhalation. I don't plan to unleash Unicycle Vicar on the waiting world until I can actually stay on the thing long enough to be amusing in a good way rather than just pathetic.

Comment

Seriously Spinning Woman, I am not far from your status. Yes I can ride a ways on a 20", but the 24" for some reason or other, is trying my patience. I seem to be always climbing onto the thing, and that can be a trifle tiresome in the full flood of ambitious attempting to ride. I cannot guarantee anything, ever, at the moment, but, hey ho, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I rather like the idea of a hidden unicycle under the cassock though, that should raise some steam with the parishioners... !!
                    I shall be mighty glad when a lot of the current heat goes though, it is so debilitating..!!
                    I am not really old, I just highlight my hair to look more extinguished..

Comment

Originally posted by Regina Wrecks View Post
                      Yes I can ride a ways
                      I refer the learned gentleman to my previous answer! Between the pre-unicyclist and the unicyclist lies a great divide like that bridge in the Indiana Jones film except with less flattering headgear.

Comment

Day 31/26

Got up really early this morning so I could go to the skateboard before work. (Yesterday I had a more relaxed start so got up at my normal time). Despite the weather being a bit threatening it was worth it - had a really good time. Managed a full revolution a few times from the Vivolo curb mount, which is a first. Scooting round with the poles wriggling my hips worked well too. No major breakthroughs, but definitely felt like it was on the edge of coming together.
                        My son is home and has been playing with the uni. He used to skateboard, so he knows a bit what it's like. Apparently he keep all his friends amused with the tales of the latest crazy thing his mother is up to, and this is a good one. But it's nice to have someone egging you on instead of looking at you pityingly and wondering if they should call the men in white coats out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinningwoman View Post
                          So far, I've come across only a few threads in the archives from people who took this long to get started, and not all of them have a good outcome recorded. Encouragement (as always) gratefully received!
                          I probably took as long. From my log, it took almost two months before I could ride 100 feet. I won't presume to say whether or not I had a good outcome, but you can also find examples of riders who learned very quickly and vanished almost as quickly. If anything, you might appreciate your accomplishment more because of the time and effort it took, and that might keep you interested when the novelty is gone.

I remember being annoyed by my slow progress at times too, but that comes mostly from our own expectations and the pressure we put on ourselves. Not many unicyclists become rich or famous no matter how quickly they learn or how good they get, so there isn't much in it for us other than having fun. Take it as it comes and see if you can look at practice time as fun time whether it goes well or not. If it helps, think of the less pleasant things you might have had to do instead and what a luxury it is to have 30 minutes or an hour to spend working on unicycling.

A year from now, it won't matter a bit how well you were doing after your first month--if you're still unicycling a year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by LargeEddie View Post
                            Not many unicyclists become rich or famous no matter how quickly they learn or how good they get...
                            I heard THAT! And in fact, are there really any rich or famous unicyclists?
                            A year from now, it won't matter a bit how well you were doing after your first month...
                            What you are doing now is paying your dues -- the price of entry. If unicycling came easy, everyone would do it. At least for a minute or so. Once earned, skills we learn are things we own, and cannot be taken away from us. It took me (at least) six weeks to learn to ride, and I was a teenager. You're doing fine. Long as you don't quit, you can't lose!
                            Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-09-03, 02:00 AM.
                            John Foss
                            www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Helper Method

Spinningwoman,

I know a unicyclist who has coached/taught many other people to ride. If I recall correctly, the method involved grabbing the rider's shoulder with one hand, and supporting below the rider's elbow with the other hand. This allowed the rider to balance with both arms while being held firmly. The unicyclist-teacher told me that this method is, for some reason, underutilized by beginners. I tried it with a couple first-timers; I found that there was significant technique and strength involved in holding onto the rider; it was not easy. If you can find a patient, able-bodied person to help practice this technique, it might get you riding even further. It'll be awkward at first. Kind of like having a dance partner. Just a thought.

BTW, six pedals is awesome progress!

Comment

Day 32/27

Yeah, I'm fine - thanks - I think the end of my first month just got to me, plus I started coming across some posts from people who didn't 'get it' for whatever reason at the same time I was feeling a lack of progress. Went out early again this morning, no breakthroughs but OK again - had another go on the 24" and no problem changing between wheels. I noticed that it was harder to turn with my hips, which is presumably just a thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X