Another beginner - Devon UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trevwin View Post
    As another Devon (Exeter) newbie just wanted to say hi. I'm using the walking pole method, though i know of the cons to this it's necessary because of a lack of suitable fences/walls/bars etc where i am. Still, I can now (occasionally) manage 2 revolutions unaided so onwards and upwards!
    Hi, Trevwin - there was I longing for another Exeter unicyclist and I move to Somerset just before you appear! As you will have gathered, I did most of my learning round the railing of the little skatepark at the end of Budleigh Salterton beach, but Belmont Park in Exeter was another place I frequented. As far as I could work out, there is no cycling prohibition on the paths outside the fenced off kids area and there is a good long stretch of smooth fencing that you can run along. I did use poles occasionally but the fence method worked better for me - running along a fence or wall and gradually veering away for more and more revolutions. But I think it is important to mix things up. The more variations of input your brain gets, the more it can generalise to basic principles. I remember a post from a frustrated newbie who changed wheel size and felt he was learning all over again, whereas I rode three different sizes while learning. Mind you, it took me a looooong time to click! Iím just catching up with recent threads, so if there is anything I can help with (or if you want a 24Ē muni which frankly I am never going to use!) then let me know. Iím not that far away.
    Heading for the outskirts of Awesome, one fall at a time.
    Arrived at Outer Awesome city limits 26/10/2016, Day 86 of practicing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
      Mastery makes riding uni waaay too stressful. Competitions are not for me and I ride only for fun and the nice feeling it gives to ride. Along the journey I will focus on different abilities so I can ride in a more relaxed way.
      Mastery can be one skill at a time. To me if you can freemount and dismount unassisted gracefully and in control, ride in a straight line, and make the unicycle go in the direction you choose, that is mastery when you can do it relaxed as second nature.

There is probably no one out there who has never been on a unicycle before that could just jump on it and go and do the above in total control and relaxed. Some people probably get quite competent at the above in a few dozen hours of practice.

I think if you are stressed while doing something you probably have not mastered it. Some refer to this as Zen or Flow.

Human gyroscope in training.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
        That's a good question. In Freestyle competition, Mastery is a component of your score.
        Not a bad way to define it. When you watch (the majority of) professional unicycle performers, you will typically see a lot lack of mastery. Not because the performer is a crappy rider, but because they do want to make it look hard. This makes it look more dramatic, or more amazing that they are staying on.

In my own shows I would usually start with some sort of a parody of how to get going on the thing, followed by some out-of-control riding. But then I would usually snap into a relaxed, smooth-flowing series of swoopy moves, and go on from there. After all, I was generally billed as a unicycle expert, so I couldn't fake it too much...

In Freestyle competition, Mastery is defined along with some other scorable qualities, into a pretty long and detailed description:

--------------
        7D.2.2 Mastery And Quality of Execution
        Mastery is the amount of control shown by the rider(s) during their execution of the skills and transitions. The body form should demonstrate good control and Mastery of the unicycle. If a rider is showing good style during difficult skills, the Mastery score should be high. Mastery of the unicycling skills is also required to perform the “additional non-unicycling skills”, such as juggling, dancing, and acrobatics.

There are several viewpoints to check the Quality of Execution, such as Stability, Duration, Speed, Synchronization, and Fluidity of Transition. These viewpoints don’t have to be evenly weighted, but required to check.

Duration: Holding a skill for a longer amount of time and distance also indicates a higher level of mastery and difficulty for that skill.

Stability: High scores should not be given if unintentional jerky body movement, or a wandering spin or pirouette is shown occasionally.
        Speed: High score is given when the rider controls the speed (faster or slower) of turns, spins, and transitions excellently.

Synchronization: Being synchronized with the rhythm of the music and timing accuracy should be judged. High scores are awarded for a routine if timing of the skills is well planned and accurate.

Fluidity of Transition: High scores are given for transitions when the rider performs a skill straight into another skill quickly. Low scores are given for transitions if several revolutions, idles, hops (or other setup-type skill) need to be performed before performing the more difficult skill - unless it is obvious that these are used to increase the overall choreography and timing of the routine.

-----------------

So there is a lot to it, but in general, it's performing a skill neatly, in "proper" form (which can depend on many factors in Freestyle), in a way that indicates you are comfortable performing it. Duration shows mastery; 10 revolutions of coasting is a lot harder than half a revolution. It's quite a lot to explain!
        Significant time and effort invested for them to do perform. Reminds me of ballet or figure skating.

You seem to really know your stuff, thanks for sharing that. Much appreciated.
        Last edited by Up Rite; 2017-12-21, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post

Side note, what happened to Spinning Woman? Still riding? Mastering so well that she doesn't feel the need to visit us here?
          In a cave on the mountain top, meditating on the One Wheel.

Soon the Master will be riding down the mountain, with a tablet in each hand with ultimate unicyle knowledge enscribed to enlighten all one wheelers.

OM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Up Rite View Post
            In a cave on the mountain top, meditating on the One Wheel.

Soon the Master will be riding down the mountain, with a tablet in each hand with ultimate unicyle knowledge enscribed to enlighten all one wheelers.

OM!
            And upon returning, someone will ask "WYOW" and she will smash the tablets in disgust?
            Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

• One of the things that hooked me on unicycling in the first place was the old 7ís film about a boy unicycling around his day. That would be mastery for me - to be able to unicycle as naturally as cycling or walking.
              Heading for the outskirts of Awesome, one fall at a time.
              Arrived at Outer Awesome city limits 26/10/2016, Day 86 of practicing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinningwoman View Post
                Iím not really sure I will ever get into hockey though!
                Give it a try! It is really fun, although it is difficult even to hit the ball (and remain seated at the same time)!

Best regards,
                Sanne

Comment

• Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
                  Making it look difficult comes too close to being a clown for me. I prefer to see mastery. But all entertainers must judge their audience. If you are looking to make them laugh a bit then why not?
                  Ultimately that's what the vast majority of unicycle performers are being, because that's what engages people. It's an interesting thing - huge amounts of skills involved in a lot of the stuff trials riders do, but mostly it's beyond the typical person. Just riding around on a giraffe is likely to enthrall people far more even though it's far easier (though if you want to make even the teenage lads jaws drop when they ask you to do a trick, turn around whilst hopping on your giraffe )

When I had my first "performance" a few weeks ago, mostly just riding around on my giraffe, I had one UPD over the course of the two evenings. I was told that actually it made it all more impressive as I'd been making it look too easy, and the UPD showed the danger involved!
                  Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

One of the things that hooked me on unicycling in the first place was the old 7ís film about a boy unicycling around his day. That would be mastery for me - to be able to unicycle as naturally as cycling or walking.
                    You might be surprised - you'll likely get to that stage, most riders do if they keep riding. I can certainly ride along and think about other things, or do other things in the same way I can when walking - still enjoy the unique utility of using a unicycle for transport as you have your hands free and so can carry pretty much anything you can carry whilst walking, though it's a lot faster than walking. I've collected takeaways, carried shopping bags and the other day carried a ladder on my unicycle - the only way to carry any of those things faster is to use motorised transport.
                    Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

One of the things that hooked me on unicycling in the first place was the old 7’s film about a boy unicycling around his day. That would be mastery for me - to be able to unicycle as naturally as cycling or walking.
                      You mean this one?
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXpVAemg9Fo"]Life on a unicycle[/ame]

but probably not as you're talking about an old film.
                      That's a cool one though.

And I guess the old one is this one:
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9YKBETRkY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9YKBETRkY[/ame]
                      Last edited by pierrox; 2017-12-27, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• That first vid (didn't see the second) was truly mastery. I wish it was that easy for me. Have to focus on idling and riding backwards much more. Really cool.

Comment

Hi, Trevwin - there was I longing for another Exeter unicyclist and I move to Somerset just before you appear! As you will have gathered, I did most of my learning round the railing of the little skatepark at the end of Budleigh Salterton beach...
                          Hi and thanks for the info! I'm feeling pretty good at the moment because I finally had a 'click' moment and can now do about 10-20 seconds before coming off. For the first time this feels like somethng I may be able to crack I'll try the fence method, and take a trip to Belmont park for a practice too. Shame you've moved away! though it's not that far are there any clubs or meets that you know of? Also I'm planning to move up to a 24" so if you're selling that would be great.

Comment

• Cut down uni

I do have plans for a 24" muni as a reward for perseverance when finally I get this, though at my height I may have to get a specially cut-down version

Maybe not -- I'm likely the shortest male in this group (five foot three) and I'm eyeballing a 29 inch that will accommodate my inseam (30 inches) without having to cut it down!
                            Last edited by Batou; 2018-01-26, 04:51 PM. Reason: fucked up the quote tags
                            Naljubuites', naljubuites', Aeria gloris, Aeria gloris

Comment

• Originally posted by LanceB View Post
                              Good work, Trevwin! I had a friend from work learn using the hiking pole method, and it worked for him. If you're at the point of going a couple revolutions unaided, I suggest now is the time to put the poles away and just go for it. Wear gloves and knee pads against the (almost) guaranteed abrasions from falls, and you'll be riding like an ace before you know it.
                              Cheers!
                              I think its almost time to put them away too, back into training after christmas!

Comment

• Rich or famous

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                                I heard THAT! And in fact, are there really any rich or famous unicyclists?
                                <cough> Kris Holm <cough>

Naljubuites', naljubuites', Aeria gloris, Aeria gloris

Comment

Working...
                                X