Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you riding your fatty?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Still riding my Oregon with a Lou. I love it. It's forgiving enough to allow me to ride off road without UPD's so much. Not on the blacktop at all though. Just a pain in the butt there. I've got others for that.

    Comment


    • #17
      Got to test my new Nimbus Hatchet yesterday, and I love it. Beforehand I was a little worried about two of the bullet points in Siddhartha Valmont's list:

      -you don't mind riding slower/have more exercise

      It felt a little heavy the first 20 minutes, but after I got warmed up, I forgot about it. I discovered that even if it's harder work because of the rolling resistance and weight, the capability to roll over stuff also saves energy.

      -you can manage feedback and steer the uni with a "strong hand"

      This was my main concern, and I struggled a little bit in some situations. Even though the Surly Knard is a lot lighter I think the "steering with strong hand" is simlar, so I felt I was prepared for it.

      I started out on my regular trail to compare the Hatchet to the Oracle 26. A lot of the technical stuff was doable on the Hatchet, but it suffers in the steep sections. The highlight of the ride was when I rolled over a (small) log, where I normally have to get off the uni.

      Air pressure was 9 psi, which felt pretty good - I don't think I can have much less than that.
      Attached Files
      UniMyra's YouTube channel

      Comment


      • #18
        Glad to hear you like it. I personally find that fat unis have this little something of crazy like riding a uni has it too (double-crazy? ).

        Anyway, not for everybody (like other kind of unis) but lot of fun when it matches.
        => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
        => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by UniMyra View Post
          Got to test my new Nimbus Hatchet yesterday, and I love it. Beforehand I was a little worried about two of the bullet points in Siddhartha Valmont's list:

          -you don't mind riding slower/have more exercise

          It felt a little heavy the first 20 minutes, but after I got warmed up, I forgot about it. I discovered that even if it's harder work because of the rolling resistance and weight, the capability to roll over stuff also saves energy.

          -you can manage feedback and steer the uni with a "strong hand"

          This was my main concern, and I struggled a little bit in some situations. Even though the Surly Knard is a lot lighter I think the "steering with strong hand" is simlar, so I felt I was prepared for it.




          I started out on my regular trail to compare the Hatchet to the Oracle 26. A lot of the technical stuff was doable on the Hatchet, but it suffers in the steep sections. The highlight of the ride was when I rolled over a (small) log, where I normally have to get off the uni.

          Air pressure was 9 psi, which felt pretty good - I don't think I can have much less than that.
          I like the uni rack you have for the two wheel. Thanks for the idea. Clever use out of the old bike collecting dust in my garage. A transport vehicle for the uni. I love it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Monette View Post
            I like the uni rack you have for the two wheel. Thanks for the idea. Clever use out of the old bike collecting dust in my garage. A transport vehicle for the uni. I love it.
            More here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115350
            UniMyra's YouTube channel

            Comment


            • #21
              覧覧覧覧覧覧
              I own: Quax 20 / KH 27,5 / KH 20 / Nimbus Hatchet 26x4,8
              I租 like to have also: KH 24+Schlumpf, Nimbus 24 ultimate
              I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)

              Comment


              • #22
                New Hatchet

                Originally posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
                My Hatchet arrived today.
                Oldest kid in town - neighbour

                Comment


                • #23
                  Now a year or so after i bought the hatchet i find it gives too much friction. Also offroad. My goto uni is the nimbus oracle 29". I just try the hatchet every now and then for fun but it just drains my energy. Half thought of selling it but will prolly hold on to it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    What tire are you using? Jumbo Jim is the choice if you want less draining tire. Even Barbegazi takes way more energy to ride, even though their tread patterns are similar. I have stopped using Vee and Maxxis fat tires for longer rides completely now.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                      Now a year or so after i bought the hatchet i find it gives too much friction. Also offroad. My goto uni is the nimbus oracle 29". I just try the hatchet every now and then for fun but it just drains my energy. Half thought of selling it but will prolly hold on to it.
                      覧覧覧覧覧覧
                      I own: Quax 20 / KH 27,5 / KH 20 / Nimbus Hatchet 26x4,8
                      I租 like to have also: KH 24+Schlumpf, Nimbus 24 ultimate
                      I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I thought a fatty was something one smoked.
                        -Greg Harper

                        Nipples...do you ever have enough?

                        Change is good. Bills are better.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by HKiviniemi View Post
                          What tire are you using? Jumbo Jim is the choice if you want less draining tire. Even Barbegazi takes way more energy to ride, even though their tread patterns are similar. I have stopped using Vee and Maxxis fat tires for longer rides completely now.
                          I used to have Jumbo Jims on my fatbike, but I had a lot of flats. Schwalbe told me they were original considered to be first equippment for new fatbikes (Easy rolling, low weight).
                          I think fat tyres are a lot of fun and of lot of workout. It`s just a matter of attitude.
                          I`m a fat tyred guy.
                          Oldest kid in town - neighbour

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
                            Congratulation! Welcome to the club!
                            覧覧覧覧覧覧
                            I own: Quax 20 / KH 27,5 / KH 20 / Nimbus Hatchet 26x4,8
                            I租 like to have also: KH 24+Schlumpf, Nimbus 24 ultimate
                            I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I'll answer my own question: I am riding my fatty. I alternate between the Oracle 26 and the Hatchet. After 2 or 3 rides on one of them I feel like swapping to the other. They complement each other very well. I do however spend a lot more time on my 36'er now, which means less time for muni.
                              UniMyra's YouTube channel

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                                Now a year or so after i bought the hatchet i find it gives too much friction. Also offroad. My goto uni is the nimbus oracle 29". I just try the hatchet every now and then for fun but it just drains my energy. Half thought of selling it but will prolly hold on to it.
                                覧覧覧覧覧覧
                                I own: Quax 20 / KH 27,5 / KH 20 / Nimbus Hatchet 26x4,8
                                I租 like to have also: KH 24+Schlumpf, Nimbus 24 ultimate
                                I鼠l never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X