Newbie Learning to Ride Off Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sukie47 View Post
    who raise an eye brow when they find out that I have every intention of getting back on the wheel.
    You could respond "Don't be so surprised; you should have known I was crazy when I took up unicycling in the first place!"

Comment

Ouch, a hip on stone steps... guess you don't do that anymore in the house. Hopefully where you're moving to doesn't tempt you with stairs. I'm not sure if I will ever try riding down stairs.

I only hope I will remember how to ride when the time comes again.
      I had just learned riding off a plateau of 20cm which at first bounced me right off the seat, but after a few tries it worked. Then I looked at some uni stunts on youtube and thought if they can do it, so can I Naturally when I did it it was right before midnight and before I wanted to go to bed, so I didn't wear any safety gear, coz what could happen in your own apartment right ^_^

I am sure that after a few months you will quickly pick it up again. It is now programmed in your body. On the first day back you will be able to do all you are doing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
        You could respond "Don't be so surprised; you should have known I was crazy when I took up unicycling in the first place!"
        You are quite right. I guess most of us that pick up sport are already on the...fun and interesting side of life

Setonix, I hope you are right. I think I was far enough along that it will be all there when I'm ready. I guess the biggest issue is going to be a very weak leg and foot. I will have to be patient.

Man, I am SO glad I was not the only one with my unicycle in the house at odds hours doing totally crazy stuff.

YAY! I got a quote box to come up! I'm learning.
        Last edited by sukie47; 2016-05-26, 11:46 AM. Reason: additional statement
        "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Update on the foot injury

It's been almost 7 weeks since breaking my foot in 3 places during a great ride on my Oracle. I can finally say with much optimism that I see light at the end of the tunnel. I came out of the medical boot last weekend at home, and after a few very sore days, I think my foot is finally remembering what it's supposed to do. I was supposed to remain in the boot at work for another 2 weeks as a reminder for my boss and myself of my limitations (I am not able to lift right now). But, it turns out that once my foot tasted a little freedom in range of motion, it couldn't again be caged. The return to immobility for work caused extreme swelling, more than at any time during my recovery process. So, with the approval of my Doctor, I am in a regular shoe, and just being cautious and prudent. For weeks, it seemed that nothing changed, but since coming out of the boot, each day has offered some noticeable improvement as well as a significate decrease in pain. In fact, this was my first Ibuprofen free day Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about unicycling. But, when the pain seemed to be hanging around longer than I thought it should, I was concerned that I would have a hard time getting back in the saddle. I am happy and relieved to say that, even though it is still at least 3 to 4 weeks away, I will be back at it.

I had given up on the idea that I could make it to the STOMP festival in Alabama in October, but I might still consider going with low expectations for any riding, but high expectations of having fun. Who knows, maybe I'll be further along than I think. But, if there's anything that I have learned in all of this, it is to be patient. I don't have to learn everything all at once. I hope to be unicycling for many years to come, and there will be plenty of time for learning as long as I stay healthy!
          "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Glad to hear you're doing better. I'm sure it feels good to be rid of that boot. You'll be back out there tearin' it up before you know it.

Hope you're able to make it to STOMP. I'm sure that'll be lots of fun. Hope to hear when you're back on your wheel again!
            I'm not short, I'm just really far away.

Comment

• Finally back in the woods

OK, it's been a long 4 months, in many regards. But, on Sunday, 4 months and 4 days since the broken foot, I got back out to Bent Creek. It was my first real time on the Oracle, aside from a few 50 feet spins just to see if I could still ride.

I went with a friend. No more solo rides. After almost puking from nerves and fear, I rolled away into the forest. I was really pleased with how well the ride went, and how I felt. Until Sunday, I had been unable to even attempt a free mount d/t weakness and pain in my foot. But, when it came time to dismount and turn around, I had no choice but to try, the tress are too far off the path to be of any assistance. To my utter surprise, I got up in 3 tries.

Most of my rides these days are on my 20" with my dog. I have been focusing on going back to the basics and building skills instead of just riding and riding, though I do that too. So, Bent Creek will be my weekend rewards for the time being.

One of the unfortunate consequences of my foot injury has included a really bad case of Vertigo, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo...brought on by my reapeated ice breaks at work on my back. Something to do with the tilt of my head. I haven't been able to look at a computer screen in weeks, and sounds have been killing me. But for whatever crazy reason, when I am outside, especially in the evenings when the light is fading (the time I can ride) I feel my best.

Anyway, glad to be back at it. I hope I'll be back on the forum more when I can stand the computer screen for more than a few minutes.

Comment

• Cool! (about the riding) That sucks about the vertigo, sound sensitivity, and weirdness with computer monitors. You've really had a tough time! I have a lot of respect for you not letting all this get you down. I'm not sure I would have dealt with it as well as you have. That's cool, though, that you're OK outside, especially in the evening. Right when the light is fading is my favorite time to ride. It's a little hard to make it back sometimes in the dark, but now I have a light for my helmet that's more than adequate for riding in the dark. I guess dawn is a close second, but I don't always like having to get up that early. Hope you enjoy "real" riding again!
                I'm not short, I'm just really far away.

Comment

• If it is actual BPPV, it is caused by some of the little balance crystals in the inner ear getting out of place. The most distinctive feature of BPPV compared to other vertigo is that it hits you lying down, especially when you turn over or turn your head to the side. (It hits you standing up as well but other vertigo types do that too, so the lying down is diagnostic). If it is BPPV there is a head manoever than can fix it by rolling the crystals back into position. Called something like the Eppley manoeuvre?? You have to find a trained practitioner or else use a device called the Dizzyfix that lets you do it at home. It sounds a little flakey and the Dizzyfix is laughable, but it is a genuine treatment and it worked for me first time. I have never had a recurrence. I'll look up the reference. It saved my driving licence and my job when I got BPPV after a long overnight train trip across Europe lying down in a bunk.
                  Heading for the outskirts of Awesome, one fall at a time.
                  Arrived at Outer Awesome city limits 26/10/2016, Day 86 of practicing!

Comment

• This is the website. It is FDA accredited, I believe. A lot of doctors apparently don't know about it, or didn't when I got it. http://www.dizzyfix.com/
                    Last edited by Spinningwoman; 2016-09-29, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Yep, I'm all too familiar with this. Have had it before. Changed my glasses prescription right as it started and it made it way worse. Appt in 2 weeks to deal with it. Thanks

Comment

Yep, I'm all too familiar with this. Have had it before. Changed my glasses prescription right as it started and it made it way worse. Appt in 2 weeks to deal with it. Thanks
                        Poor you. You have my sympathy - it is a horrible sensation.

Comment

• How's it going?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinningwoman View Post
                            If it is actual BPPV, it is caused by some of the little balance crystals in the inner ear getting out of place. The most distinctive feature of BPPV compared to other vertigo is that it hits you lying down, especially when you turn over or turn your head to the side. (It hits you standing up as well but other vertigo types do that too, so the lying down is diagnostic). If it is BPPV there is a head manoever than can fix it by rolling the crystals back into position. Called something like the Eppley manoeuvre?? You have to find a trained practitioner or else use a device called the Dizzyfix that lets you do it at home. It sounds a little flakey and the Dizzyfix is laughable, but it is a genuine treatment and it worked for me first time. I have never had a recurrence. I'll look up the reference. It saved my driving licence and my job when I got BPPV after a long overnight train trip across Europe lying down in a bunk.
                            I have had BPPV for nearly one year without relief. I had done the Epley Maneuver and many exercises but they only offered partial relief. So I am currently waiting to see the physical therapist who will be more likely to have experience treating such cases and get the BPPV physiotherapy treatment from a clinic nearby in Toronto. As far as I have experienced and researched about this physiotherapy is the best treatment for BPPV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon325 View Post
                              I have had BPPV for nearly one year without relief. I had done the Epley Maneuver and many exercises but they only offered partial relief. So I am currently waiting to see the physical therapist who will be more likely to have experience treating such cases and get the BPPV physiotherapy treatment from a clinic nearby in Toronto. As far as I have experienced and researched about this physiotherapy is the best treatment for BPPV.
                              Are you a unicyclist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinningwoman View Post
                                Are you a unicyclist?
                                Or are you a 'bot?

Comment

Working...
                                X