Newbie Learning to Ride Off Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sukie47 View Post
    gulp...I just did some research on the geared hub...I think I will be putting this on a far away wish list. Never thought you could put one on a 20" I'm learning all kinds of stuff!
    If you decide to buy a geared 29", it might be better to practice with a 36" first. I still haven't mastered riding in high gear, because the pedals turn so slowly. I feel like I have to be balancing in the air too long before riding off in high gear. the idea of shifting while riding is also scary. I'm such a wuss. A 36" is also cheaper than a geared uni.

Comment

• Yep, I own a g26 and I find that not only riding a 36er helps me to ride my g26 in in way but also riding often the g26 (including some easy muni parts in high gear) helps me a lot to improve my 36er ride.
      In fact I find that riding an ungeared 36er is way easier and more stable than riding the geared 26er, for linear long rides I prefere the 36er.
      - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
      - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
      - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
      - Qu-ax trial 19"
      -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

• Maybe one day I will think about a larger geared uni. That just scares the bejesus out of me right now.

Just changed out my Nimbus seat to the KH Freeride to start acclimating to the new set up. Already, I don't know how I feel about the way this seat feels. I like something to hold my behind, and this seat is lacking something that the Nimbus had in that regard. We'll see.

Y'all have fun on those geared wheels. You are way braver than I.
        "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Just changed out my Nimbus seat to the KH Freeride to start acclimating to the new set up. Already, I don't know how I feel about the way this seat feels. I like something to hold my behind, and this seat is lacking something that the Nimbus had in that regard. We'll see.
          If you struggle too much or for too long, you might consider putting the Nimbus seat back on. Removing and reinstalling a seat to a seat-post can be a hassle. Seat-posts are pretty cheap; you might consider having seat/seat-post combinations for both the Nimbus and the KH saddle.

If you are looking for more connection with your Freeride seat, you could try pivoting the nose of the seat upward; that'd help you slide onto the back of the seat. Remember that, in the long-run, having handlebars is going to help you make adjustments to your placement on the seat.

Again, keep experimenting. If you're not ready for a new piece of equipment, don't sweat it, but also be warned that anything new is going to take time/adjustment to to get used to.

Comment

• Good news and Bad news...

I put the KH Fusion Freeride sadle on yesterday (and, yes... it is a pain to switch the seats out) and took it for a spin. I fully expected I would need a period of adjustment, but was really pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it out of the gate. My ride in Bent Creek was going quite well. I was feeling really good about how well I was riding, and how much I liked the new seat. In anticipation of putting on the handlebars in the near future, I started working on really holding onto the front of the seat while climbing. I climbed the hills that challenge, but don't overwhelm me. Unfortunately, during my last climb, I came off the unicycle to the front and crashed. My left foot and knee buckled under me and I knew I broke my foot immediately. The x-rays confirm it... proximal fractures of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals. Luckily, my best friend is a P.A. for a foot and ankle surgeon, and I am well taken care of. Looks like I will be in a boot for about 6 weeks, then will take another 4-6 weeks before I can even entertain the idea of cycling of any kind. I am, to say the least, pretty bummed. It goes without saying that I am really enthusiastic about this amazing sport. I don't see that changing.

In fact, earlier this week, I had left a message with a local veterinarian who, I was told rides muni. As it turns out, he contacted me today and we had an interesting talk. He has been on a break from riding following a very serious cycling injury from being hit by a car, two and a half years ago. He had some really reassuring things to say about the type of injury that I have. And, when I'm able to get back on the unicycle, I have what seems like a very nice person to ride with.

So, that's where things stand right now. The first thing my boss asked when I called him with the news was, "good, this means you're selling your unicycles?" I'm sure he was a bit miffed when I said "Absolutely Not." I haven't been this excited and motivated about something in many years. I'm not about to give that up anytime soon. In all my years of sports, I have never broken anything. I guess I can consider myself lucky that it took this long, and that it could have been much worse.

I have something to look forward to when my foot is ready. Thankfully, I can live through you guys on this forum until I'm back up and riding.
            "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Really sorry to read about your accident!
              But also really glad to see your enthusiasm has not been dampened!
              In my observation, while unicycling involves numerous small crashes, a lot more big debilitating accidents come from bicycling. Still, there is always the possibility of the freak bad landing, and things going south.
              I will look forward to new reports of riding success when you have recuperated!

Cheers!
              "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• Sorry to read that.
                I understand what you feel, all the more so that I will also have to stay away from my Gmuni for a while because of a shoulder injury that never gets healed since each time I fall and use my left arm to absorb the crash I'm back to the starting point and if I continue this way it will take forever to heal.
                I'm at the point where even if I have a very small fall on a 19er the simple fact of falling on my hands is a very bad thing for my shoulder.

Fortunately this time it's not my legs that are injured, and I still can ride my 36er since I can ride it all the way with both hands on the handlebars, so I don't use my left arm for balance and barely fall on the big wheel.

Clearly what I like the most is riding my g26 on trails and like you I won't be able to do that again until my shoulder is ok, but I'm lucky compared to you since I still have a unicycle I can ride.

Like Lance said, it's cool to read that you are very enthusiast for the after, so I wish you a good and fast recovery.
                - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
                - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
                - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
                - Qu-ax trial 19"
                -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

• Bummer, sorry to read about your accident.

Here's for a quick recovery!
                  Nice to read that you haven't lost your spirit and already look forward to ride again.

Yes, unicycling is one of the least things you'd quit once you mastered the basic steps. And by reading about your progress you're well above the basic step level already.

So, give your foot the rest and time it needs to really heal so you'll be able to enjoy unicycling to the full again.

Greetings

Byc
                  Wichtig ist nur:
                  "Beim Auffallen nicht Umfallen,
                  beim Umfallen nicht Auffallen."

Qu-Ax Luxus 20"
                  Qu-Ax Luxus 24"
                  Qu-Ax/Nimbus 26" Muni
                  KH 36" Muni

Comment

• Ugh. Sorry. Good to hear you're still enthusiastic about unicycling.

Comment

• Thanks y'all. I had to laugh at the new set of wheels that I got today... a knee scooter. Not as much fun as the unicycle, but my boss can't complain about me wheeling around at work I would have opted for the "All Terrain" knee scooter, but it was ridiculously expensive. I have to save my money for the next uni.

Comment

the new set of wheels that I got today... a knee scooter.
                        Are we going to lose you to the knee-scooter forum?

Comment

• Maybe, I went out for a "walk" with the friends I'm staying with right now. It's pretty nice. Thinking about putting fat tires on it.

Comment

• Sorry to read about your wreck! Here's hoping for some fast healing!
                            Unicycling makes things better

Comment

The first thing my boss asked when I called him with the news was, "good, this means you're selling your unicycles?"
                              I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds very serious. I've fallen many times with the uni. Often on my hands, but with wrist guards I haven't broken anything. My boss too worries that I will break my hands as he needs me to program the things that he can't. ^_^
                              Some months ago I fell in my apartment where there are 2 steps in the middle that I thought I could ride off. It is a very narrow passage with walls on both sides that I held while riding off. Naturally that made the uni roll away underneath me instantly and I crashed onto the stone steps with my hip. I didn't break anything, but I couldn't walk normally for a few days. It hurt like hell. I had been extremely lucky as I could have landed much worse. Still I think uni-cycling isn't more dangerous than many other sports.

Comment

• I also don't think it is more dangerous than other sports. I knew going into this that I was adding an element of risk to my life. For that reason I have taken every precaution with safety gear. Maybe I was just pushing myself a little too hard. I don't know. I have a few neighbors, and, of course my boss who raise an eye brow when they find out that I have every intention of getting back on the wheel. But, my friends who know me and have seen what effect unicycling has had on me are encouraging and supportive.

Ouch, a hip on stone steps... guess you don't do that anymore in the house. Hopefully where you're moving to doesn't tempt you with stairs. I'm not sure if I will ever try riding down stairs.

I only hope I will remember how to ride when the time comes again.

Comment

Working...
                                X