No announcement yet.

Newbie Learning to Ride Off Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Besides some of the stats on the initial time that it takes to first learn to ride, I don't have anything to compare myself to. I feel like things are progressing in a steady fashion
    "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I've used the last several evenings to ride around on the 20" with my dog around the local high school. I am really enjoying this little uni. After tiring out Turkey, I can take a few minutes to work on stuff. This week, I've mostly been working on hopping. I finally have the hang of it, and am developing more control. After learning to hop and ride away, I have now been working on stalling, hopping and riding away. That has been a more difficult skill to learn. I've had a good stall for a while, but when I think about adding a hop to it, I start to lose my balance and have to bail. I can get it once in a while, so it will come. The best thing ever was during lunch on Monday. I pulled out my little uni while my food was warming up. Right away, I hopped into a ride, and about 20 meters away, hopped in a 180, and rode back. My co-workers were astonished, as was I. It was, and continues to be the only time I have been able to pull that off.

After each practice session, I like to pull out my 26" muni and try to replicate what I've done. It's working, although by the time I get to my 26" I tend to be tired. Last night I took it out to Bent Creek for what was supposed to be my second trail ride with an experienced rider. The weather was very questionable yesterday, so he wasn't prepared to ride. So, back out to Bent Creek Road. I was a bit bummed, as I really want to learn from someone who has been doing this awhile... and not just from youtube. Anyway, the threat of thunderstorms still loomed, so I stayed within a mile and a half of the parking lot. After a good warm up, I decided to work on mounting and hopping. There is one hill that I've never been able to achieve a freemount on. So, I went to the base of this hill, and practiced freemounting perpendicular to the hill, hopping towards the hill and riding into it. It worked! It took several tries, but it worked. Then after my excitement, I was coming down the hill and got going too fast. Again. No face plant this time. I came off the unicycle and was able to run it out. However, it was a hard landing, smashing the toes of both feet into the ends of my shoes. My ankles were a little sore last night but feel ok today.

So, other than being frustrated by the solitary nature of this sport, things are going quite well. I am going have to start actively recruiting people. It will be an aggressive campaign.
      "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by sukie47 View Post
        ... it was a hard landing, smashing the toes of both feet into the ends of my shoes.
        Keep your toenails cut short -- this is a good way to lose them. (Don't ask me how I know this! )
        I continue to be very impressed by your rapid progress!
        Cheers!
        "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

So, other than being frustrated by the solitary nature of this sport, things are going quite well. I am going have to start actively recruiting people. It will be an aggressive campaign.
          It is unfair how fast you learn, but then I don't spend so much time on hopping. Just riding is fun enough for me and then focusing on technique.
          The other day I wanted to take the 20" out to the supermarket which isn't too far away, but the small wheel asks for so much pedaling. As for hopping, I sometimes try to hop with the 29", but it is soo heavy and I quickly tire of it.

I also had a colleague who decided he wanted to learn, but after 3 sessions of 5 minutes in the evening, he already gave up. Others simply don't seem interested or are afraid. Wusses all of them
          So if you for some strange reason decide to move to Holland, then there is already another unicyclist there ^_^

Comment

Lance B, yep I have checked that off my to-do list. Funny thing is I had just read an old thread about just that issue. I thought it would just effect the big footed fellows

Setonix, this is probably a fuax pas to infect this, but depending on the political environment over the next little bit, Holland might seem a nice place to relocate. You do seem to have more one wheelers over there.

I'm not sure I am learning any faster than most. I've been going through and reading threads started by previous newbies who are still around on the forum...seems we all go through very similar processes. I did notice that you have a propensity for the same level of obsession as I. I have 3 unicycles in as many months, and I can't stop looking on craigslist. It's becoming an issue. Thankfully, there aren't many good unicycles that come up in this area.

I finally got my handlebars for my muni...will be working on that this weekend. That has helped curb my need for another wheel.

Comment

I finally got my handlebars for my muni
              You're going to love handle-bars. Be patient. They might feel like a step backward initially. I spent a lot of time adjusting mine, particularly in regards to the relationship between the bar ands and the brake lever. Handle bars are going to make distance riding so much more comfortable.

Comment

elpueblo, you have a 26 oracle...do you have bars on that? I Checked with UDC to make sure the KH Muni bars would work with the Nimbus seat. They assured me it would, but it's looking like that's not the case. As everything else, I am sure I am going to freak out when I go for the first ride. It will be fine with time. Thanks for your feedback on this one.

And by the way, typo from this morning...inject, not infect...though one could argue both would be appropriate

Comment

I looked around with Google Streetview where I am going to live in the Netherlands in two months. The nice thing of Holland is that there are bikepaths everywhere, so no worry about cars wooshing by. There seem to be many many kilometres worth of riding on just flat road near the house. I wanna already move now. ^_^

I only have handle bars that came with the 36" Sometimes I put them on and then take them off again. Especially when I haven't ridden it in a while it feels like I have more freedom without them. I noticed this week by riding more upright it is much easier to keep both hands on the seat while riding. Now I really want handlebars on the 29" as well, but I don't know how to connect it to the saddle. I would need an in between piece I guess. As for the brake, I never use it. It blocks right away and just results in me flying off the uni. I reckon brakes are only useful for steep downhill rides.

Comment

Quax makes a good, universal-mount handle. Mainly for road riding, though, it's pretty long for a muni handle. The mount is a little wide (my legs rub a little), but overall I like the design. Just a suggestion. (There are photos and reviews elsewhere on the forum.)
                    "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• I looked into the quax handlebars, they did seem like they might interfere with leg movement on the muni. I'm going to try the kh muni t-bar first. Will probably replace the weird bar ends at some soon point. It seem like the tabs that hang down could interfere with brake usage. I've been trying to make the time to take some welding classes...this might be a good excuse.

Setonix, it sounds like a really nice place that you'll be moving to. Is it a permanent move, or short term for work?

Comment

• Originally posted by sukie47 View Post
                        I Checked with UDC to make sure the KH Muni bars would work with the Nimbus seat. They assured me it would, but it's looking like that's not the case.
                        Hmm, everything keeps changing, so I'm not sure how to answer that question. Can you be more specific regarding what's going wrong with the installation?

Here's the history on my 26" Oracle: the stock seat started breaking/flexing too much, as a result of the thing being dropped and pulled on. When it was time to get a new seat, I decided that handlebars would be nice, so I ordered the KH freeride saddle and the KH t-bar. (In answer to your question, I can't recall if the Nimbus stock saddle is compatible with the t-bar.) Once I got the t-bar, I pretty quickly went through a couple seat-posts, due to all the added stress on the setup. I currently have the newest, adjustable seat-post by KH, and I have a feeling that's going to last for a while.

sukie47, welcome to the world of having to swap out parts. Sorry! I'd contact UDC again and re-ask the question. They are pretty cool. Once they sent me the wrong length seat-post with a new uni, and they comped me the correct one. The Oracle comes with a nice frame, wheel, tire, brake, but the seat/seat-post are not of the highest quality. Also, I have already had all the spokes replaced on my 20" Equinox, after they started breaking regularly. And I've had spoke failure with my Oracle. During my last two rides, I heard something twice, sounding like breaking spokes, though I can't see any broken spokes. I think it's time for a wheel-rebuild on the Oracle.

Good luck!

Comment

• Yep, I see this world of unicycling involves not only parts swapping, but a massive accumulation of all kinds of things, namely different unis for different rides. I already have the KH freeride saddle...no need to explain, you'll see it elsewhere. Hole configuration for the reinforcement plate is not compatible. And as you say, the seat doesn't seem like it's going to hold up to the increased stresses. I have yet to see if I am going to hold up to the increased stresses

I'm changing out the seat today. Will adjust to that, then add the bars. Yes, I am that sensitive to any change. It totally messes with my mind. So, it's all about baby steps for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by sukie47 View Post
                            Setonix, it sounds like a really nice place that you'll be moving to. Is it a permanent move, or short term for work?
                            I will be permanently moving back to The Netherlands to be closer to my family again. 8 years in Denmark have been fine, but there are too many hills there. No fun for some relaxing uni trips. I don't mind a challenge, but some rides should be for chilling. The weather is better too further south.

Comment

• Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
                              Also, I have already had all the spokes replaced on my 20" Equinox, after they started breaking regularly.
                              Did you have them replaced by a local bikeshop? Whenever I have something with my rides, I'd always go to the LBS, coz I'm not technical whatsoever. Im but a nerdy programmer A uni more or less has the same parts as a bike, even if shaped slightly differently.

Comment

• gulp...I just did some research on the geared hub...I think I will be putting this on a far away wish list. Never thought you could put one on a 20" I'm learning all kinds of stuff!

Setonix, sounds like it will be a good move! I have never been to that part of the world. But, I have a friend who spent a year in Denmark, and her description is pretty nice. I understand the need for a chilled ride. So far, the same stretch of Bent Creek Road is the only flattish "off-road" place I know of so far. Otherwise, it's pretty hilly here too.

Comment

Working...
                                X