Tried muni riding for the first time today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaysuspaddlelikemad View Post
    best of luck with it and don't get disheartened. There is no pleasure in this world like berating mountain bikers for needing stabilisers
    Thanks I am going to keep working on my hops (not going too good yet) I can usually get 1 hop and sometimes two before I lose my balance.
    I won't get disheartened since my wife and 6 year old daughter gave me a lot of inspiration when I first bought a unicycle in January. My daughter said, "Dad you're going to get hurt." and my wife said, " You'll never be able to ride that!"

I'm now trying to encourage my wife to learn explaining that its a lot of fun and great exercise. And we'd be able to ride with my daughter on her bike. It would be a nice family thing and might get my daughter to try it too.

Comment

Concrete stairways, if available, are excellent for hopping practice. Riding down them is also good. I still don't really have the guts to roll down sets of more than 3 steps, and have had some nasty wipeouts that way, but hopping up the stairs is seemingly quite safe. I have never felt the need for safety gear for this activity, and often climb more than 50 steps, just pausing to idle on the landings while I catch my breath.

The trick to getting up the stairs is to do as few hops as possible, ideally only one hop per step. If you have to stop and endlessly pogo stick at each step to regain your balance, you will not get very far before you run out of steam.

Comment

I went back to the trail I first tried muni on. The first time it was probably 90% walking and 10% riding. Today it was about 20% walking and 80% riding. I have been riding just pavement since last time due to weather. I think all the extra seat time paid off. The areas I had the most trouble were up hills and a few small stream crossings. Other than the up hills I rode the entire trail. If I was tired or had a UPD I would keep trying the particular section until I cleaned it before moving on. I think I need to practice holding the handlebar for the up hills. I also didn't have the freemount issues I had the first time out. The trail isn't that long maybe a mile and I rode it back and forth 3 times. It isn't too technical and wouldn't be much of a challenge for a lot of you guys, but I felt like I did pretty good today and can't wait to go again.

Comment

Just wanted to give my encouragement as well. Looks like you're doing great! I've been riding unicycles for a very long time, but I only just started riding a muni a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't make it out to any "real" trails until this past Friday. It was really tough, but it was a lot of fun! I knew it would be hard, but I didn't quite understand how intimidating it could be until I tried it. Anyone that's relatively new at riding a unicycle that's also trying to tackle going off-road has my respect! It's doubly difficult just learning basic skills AND going off-road, but you'll probably improve a lot faster at everything that way. Keep up the good work and enjoy!
          I'm not short, I'm just really far away.

Comment

I went back to the trail I first tried muni on. The first time it was probably 90% walking and 10% riding. Today it was about 20% walking and 80% riding. I have been riding just pavement since last time due to weather. I think all the extra seat time paid off. The areas I had the most trouble were up hills and a few small stream crossings. Other than the up hills I rode the entire trail. If I was tired or had a UPD I would keep trying the particular section until I cleaned it before moving on. I think I need to practice holding the handlebar for the up hills. I also didn't have the freemount issues I had the first time out. The trail isn't that long maybe a mile and I rode it back and forth 3 times. It isn't too technical and wouldn't be much of a challenge for a lot of you guys, but I felt like I did pretty good today and can't wait to go again.

Comment

Great going, Djphelan01! You're doing really well. I'm definitely enjoying the rush of reports from new riders and new old riders lately. Muni is a blast. Even if it's barely faster than hiking the trial, or no faster at all for that matter, there's something about it.

Comment

I am enjoying reading about your new experiences off road too Djphelan01. I started unicycling about 2 and a half months ago and went on my first trail ride this last Sunday. I was able to track down the only Muni rider in this area, so had the fortune of watching someone with skill. Truly mind-blowing. It is really inspiring to hear that you had such an improvement from your first experience to your last one. I hope you will keep sharing your experiences. It helps me to know that others are on the same learning curve as I. Keep it up!
                "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes" Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I went again to the same trail. I plan on going there until either I get bored or I can confidently ride the entire trail with no UPDs. Today didn't go as well as the other day. I'm not sure if it was due to me wearing a camel back and the KH percussion shin protectors or just my lack of skill. I think the camel back might have been throwing my weight placement off a little. I did manage to pedal up the entire hill (paved) to my truck? I couldn't make it the other day. so today had two positives for me. I made the hill and I got a lot of free mounting practice today. Unfortunately today might be my last ride for a bit. We're leaving for vacation to Florida early Monday morning. I work on the weekends and between that and getting ready I probably won't have much time to ride until the end of the month.

Oh and thanks for the positive comments I've received, they are appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by sukie47 View Post
                    I am enjoying reading about your new experiences off road too Djphelan01. I started unicycling about 2 and a half months ago and went on my first trail ride this last Sunday. I was able to track down the only Muni rider in this area, so had the fortune of watching someone with skill. Truly mind-blowing. It is really inspiring to hear that you had such an improvement from your first experience to your last one. I hope you will keep sharing your experiences. It helps me to know that others are on the same learning curve as I. Keep it up!
                    Thanks, I've enjoyed reading yours and Bradford's threads also. Keep up the writing and riding.
                    Last edited by Djphelan01; 2016-04-14, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Djphelan01 View Post
                      I probably won't have much time to ride until the end of the month.
                      You may surprise yourself and find that after a break you're actually more confident and ride better. Your brain keeps figuring out how to ride even when you're not!
                      Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Djphelan01 View Post
                        I went again to the same trail. I plan on going there until either I get bored or I can confidently ride the entire trail with no UPDs. Today didn't go as well as the other day. I'm not sure if it was due to me wearing a camel back and the KH percussion shin protectors or just my lack of skill. I think the camel back might have been throwing my weight placement off a little. I did manage to pedal up the entire hill (paved) to my truck? I couldn't make it the other day. so today had two positives for me. I made the hill and I got a lot of free mounting practice today. Unfortunately today might be my last ride for a bit. We're leaving for vacation to Florida early Monday morning. I work on the weekends and between that and getting ready I probably won't have much time to ride until the end of the month.

Oh and thanks for the positive comments I've received, they are appreciated!
                        I've enjoyed reading your threads as well!

I wondered about that camel back. I've never had one before, but I was considering getting one. I don't really like to ride with a back pack, and water bottles won't stay in the water bottle cage as I ride. I've already cracked one bottle doing that, and it gets a little tiring chasing them down as they fall off.

I've been wondering two things about the camel back. The issue of balance you talked about, but also if I might ruin it during a UPD. As I mentioned in Sukie47's recent thread, I fall or roll onto my back at least once during every off-road riding session, and I'm worried that I might pop the bladder in those things. I weigh about 180 lbs (82 kilos), and with the added force of falling and weight concentrated in a small area, I could see the pressure on that bladder being pretty significant.

Anyone ever popped one of those before? I'm sure it would look a little weird, but anyone tried wearing one on your front instead of your back?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradford View Post
                          I've been wondering two things about the camel back. The issue of balance you talked about, but also if I might ruin it during a UPD?
                          I feel the same about backpacks but I went ahead and bought a camelback for muni or longer rides on my 26" and love it. You get it adjusted properly and you will hardly notice it. If you hit hard enough to damage to it due to a UPD think what the damage would have been to your back. Makes pretty good back armor.

I use this on my 20". I will ride out to where I want to work on skills and take the bottle out so it wont fly off and break.
                          http://www.jensonusa.com/Twofish-Str...ss-Bottle-Cage

Comment

I've never damaged one but agree it's a little extra protection. Years ago a friend landed on his and it just blew the top out. My top screws on so I think the bladder would break, which I'd rather than my back getting injured.

Comment

Originally posted by DaUniGuy View Post
                              I feel the same about backpacks but I went ahead and bought a camelback for muni or longer rides on my 26" and love it. You get it adjusted properly and you will hardly notice it. If you hit hard enough to damage to it due to a UPD think what the damage would have been to your back. Makes pretty good back armor.

I use this on my 20". I will ride out to where I want to work on skills and take the bottle out so it wont fly off and break.
                              http://www.jensonusa.com/Twofish-Str...ss-Bottle-Cage
                              Thanks for the info. I still wonder how much abuse it can take before it pops. Just yesterday I fell flat on my back on a manhole cover while riding my muni. I didn't get hurt at all, but I'm sure there was an excess of 300 lbs of pressure when I hit (just a wild guess based on my weight and velocity of the fall concentrated in a small surface area.) I also roll onto my back a lot when I go down, and so far, I've never been hurt, and unless those bladders are rated for crazy pressures, I think I would have popped one several times over if I'd been wearing one. I looked for tolerance specs, but I didn't find anything.

I'm also not sure it would always be a good thing to fall on. Now that I think about it, if I'd been wearing a camel back yesterday when I fell on the manhole cover, my back could have arched backwards or even rolled, and that could have really hurt me.

Maybe that's my answer, and as I think more and more about it, it just seems like an all around bad idea for me. I know a lot of people use these and do fine, but I'm not sure it would fit my riding style. I'm always the outlier, so that should be no surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradford View Post
                                I still wonder how much abuse it can take before it pops.
                                Watching these may reassure you. The first one seems like more of an advertisement but in the second video they test a bladder to failure at 3:18.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBk9Ff3nWG0"]Camelbak Reservoir Testing - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9iV2A-6Ol8"]Camelbak testing facility - YouTube[/ame]

Hydration packs in general are really handy. I used to feel the same as you about not wearing anything on my back, but now I use one on every uni ride. As well as water on demand it's nice to have a safe place for your keys, wallet, phone, first aid kit, snacks, tools etc.

Note that despite the propaganda in the first video other brand's bladders are plenty strong enough too. I use a Source pack.
                                Last edited by lightbulbjim; 2016-04-15, 10:44 PM.
                                Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X