"unicycle builders" first product: titanium ISIS cranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haskinsc View Post
    Just curious but how does Ti mate with a typical 4130 CrMo ISIS shaft?
    Ha, 1st thing I wondered to!
    I have 3 exceed Ti hubs and always believed same metals make best combinations, but I'm now using these on a Nimbus CrMo hub (for it's much larger flanges).
    In non-scientific words/numbers: Alloy seems more adaptive than Ti and CrMo, so mounting them (dry) made loud squeeky noises; Ti wants to go back to it's own original shape and wins in flexibility from the CrMo spindle.
    Also the splines are not super smooth, and have a bit of texture (the picture shows). So I think it could use some anti seizure grease. Which I'm so far never used anywhere. I expect that would solve the "problem".

I'm just back from practicing in Cuba. With the weather on certain days I noticed tiny squeeky noises from my (now 2nd favorite) Venture2's that were well-mounted on a Exceed Ti hub while riding under absurd conditions, but much less than Mad4one's soft alu pins would, or their older model would
    (still admire the product, but not intended for my user-case - but for it's cosmetics I still use them when doing my coffee act).
    KH doesn't offer 125. QX's seem to have the strongest shape... but eat my pants. I maybe should have tried their tubular CrMo crank.
    (anyway; I never broke any of above mentioned cranks - and am not aware if anyone ever did).
    I expect this combination is a better for my case.
    So I went from a Ti hub / alloy cranks combination to CrMo hub / Ti cranks.
    CrMo is always a bit stubborn kind metal. In the next 5 weeks I can't do real testing. After that we will learn.

Originally posted by haskinsc View Post
    Three digits? Four digits? Five digits?
    The amount of an entire unicycle that the average-good and better riders use in flat or street.

Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
    There seems to be a high potential for multi-holes versions people are asking for (different combination of 2 or even 3 !)
    Being tubular that's hard. It would require different molding to have everything exactly straight, and the heating/cooling of the welding still could make it go bad. It's not impossible. But a solid CNC'ed crank would for that reason win on precision.

Originally posted by Phil_on_uni View Post
    i guess i missed the point here.... is this just a big tease? or are you offering us some weird kind of first dibs deal? or do we just have to wait till you bring them out on sale?
    Don't know how to respond on that. It was just as I described; I could supply if people are interested.
    I always had a very good income from unicycling. And unplanned became core DNS operator/architect at the 2nd largest registry after .com (the largest ccTLD, bigger than .cn, .de and .uk combined). Think about my hourly wage there. Then estimate the time it takes to make 36 spokes to a custom length. Any of my time I spend on someone else unicycle is stealing from my own pocket.
    Certain riders I would gladly support. But it will be impossible to please everyone.
    Since it's price; don't expect me to stock numerous in each possible length. And (despite being educated for retail) sit and wait in a virtual store on sales.
    It wont be mass production. At least not in Ti.

Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
    I would guess it is a proof-of-concept with details and everything. Maybe feedback is expected (?).

I am sure there can be people interested by having some cranks produced but for now availability and price have not been provided. SO wait and see
    Correct. I was just curious about thoughts, opinions and if people would be interested.

Originally posted by Killian View Post
    As jtrops said, 0 Q would be cranks hooked to each other and no distance between pedal planes.
    I think Phil is right. I also always understood it the way the Venture2's are described: "Q-Factor: Almost Zero Q-factor - This is the amount a crank bends outwards. Zero means it doesn't lean outwards at all. The straighter the crank the better for speed, the wider the better for ankle clearance and greater maneuverability."

The Q factor of my displayed cranks is 0, and the molding for welding allows it to be customized.
    unicycle.show
    unicycle.blog
    unicycle.builders
    +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

The term is flare.

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
        The Q factor of my displayed cranks is 0, and the molding for welding allows it to be customized.

Guys I understand that the bike world has been around a long time. And I know that most of these term already have very specific meaning. But if you ask just about ANY unicyclist that has been riding the last 10 years about there preference in Q.... they are probably gonna think you are talking about the the angle of the crank. I didn't intend to start a discussion. I think we all get what I am referencing...

Leo.... Adding some angle to the crank is possible?
        Last edited by Phil_on_uni; 2016-02-27, 06:54 PM. Reason: speeling
        ><> Unicycle For Hatred, Bigotry, and Ignorance <><
        Team Forrest, Underground
        *)---, '30ft Coaster~

johnfoss:
        What do you call the bunches of kids that follow Kris around at big unicycle conventions? "Holmies".

Comment

But if you ask just about ANY unicyclist that has been riding the last 10 years about there preference in Q.... they are probably gonna think you are talking about the the angle of the crank.
          Only if you are referring to us, this tiny percentage of unicyclists who pay attention to such things. The other 98% or so of unicyclists will ask you to explain the Q. If flare, a word that automatically has some meaning (in English) is the correct term for what we usually call Q-factor, we should switch now. Then you can just say a crank has, for example, 3mm of flare and it should make sense to anybody, even if they don't know what UDC and UPD stand for.

And BTW, those cranks in the photo are SWEEEEEET!
          Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-02-27, 08:15 PM.
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Didn't we all know what Phil meant by "q-factor"? If someone doesn't know what q-factor is, they probably dont mind it.
            Jakob F.

Comment

I'm sorry that this has become such a side topic, but my intention wasn't to question what Phil meant by the term q factor, as much as to question what he meant by his comment: "Q Factor." I just wanted to know if it was a question about how much additional q factor there would be, or about how much offset, or if there was no additional q (or zero offset). I believe that Leo has answered the question that there is zero additional q.

As for how people understand it, and what it means, those two things are really different. As long as we understand each other that is what matters.
              "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

Comment

In offroad lengths they do need some sticky-outyness.
                Last edited by Alice Arctan; 2016-02-27, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Leo.... Adding some angle to the crank is possible?
                  Yes, it that is possible.
                  unicycle.show
                  unicycle.blog
                  unicycle.builders
                  +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

Exciting project. Even more exciting if you want to make tubular cranks! Would definitely love to add some more Ti on my uni :P

(Currently have Ti post, Frame & Hub)

Comment

Working...
                    X