Shopping List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesCSmith View Post
    I pulled the trigger and ordered the KH26 from Canada.
    Shit just got serious. JamesCSmith ain't messing around. Next thing you know he'll have flown over to meet Florian and scored himself a Schlumpf hub. If that turns out to be the case you'll want to pick up a set of torque wrenches. Park Tool ratcheting type is adjustable as not to allow you to tighten a bolt too tight.

Nice choice on the KH26 and the mUni bar. Kris spec'd the cranks at 150/125 which is exactly what you want. Nothing wrong with shipping to the states from Canada. Tariffs cost a little more from England but Roger always seems to have that hard to find part.'
    Last edited by DavidHood; 2016-02-09, 12:11 AM.
    My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
      Park Tool ratcheting type is adjustable as not to allow you to tighten a bolt too tight.
      I never used a torque wrench on any part of my unicycle, though it stands to reason that there's an ideal torque specification for every adjustment on the unicycle. I frequently test the tightness of the pedals, seat bolts, crank-interface, bearing caps and seat-post clamp. I found that a newer setup needed more frequent tightening, due to the unprecedented forces being placed on it. Also, I am not aware of, to what extent, if ever, I have 'over' tightened parts of the unicycle. I am planning on buying a 3rd generation Schlumpf, and I don't want to screw it up. Florian suggests using a tiny torque wrench on the gold and silver shifting buttons of his geared hub. I will probably buy the wrench, not wanting to screw up this almost $2K item. But, in general, I wonder if a torque wrench is worth it for the rest of the unicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
        I never used a torque wrench on any part of my unicycle, though it stands to reason that there's an ideal torque specification for every adjustment on the unicycle. I frequently test the tightness of the pedals, seat bolts, crank-interface, bearing caps and seat-post clamp. I found that a newer setup needed more frequent tightening, due to the unprecedented forces being placed on it. Also, I am not aware of, to what extent, if ever, I have 'over' tightened parts of the unicycle. I am planning on buying a 3rd generation Schlumpf, and I don't want to screw it up. Florian suggests using a tiny torque wrench on the gold and silver shifting buttons of his geared hub. I will probably buy the wrench, not wanting to screw up this almost $2K item. But, in general, I wonder if a torque wrench is worth it for the rest of the unicycle.
        If I ever needed a torque wrench for cycling I had always planned on getting a Park TW-1 and TW-2 rather than the ratchet type. I just noticed today that they've discontinued them . There is still some old stock available from some suppliers but I don't know if I want to cough up the cash right now...
        Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

The only time I've ever needed a torque wrench was fitting a schlumpf hub. Most likely the new ones that we have been waiting for over the last couple of years will do away with that need (most obvious fix to lots of current problems). Otherwise I don't see any real need for one.
          Last edited by davejh; 2016-02-09, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lightbulbjim View Post
            If I ever needed a torque wrench for cycling I had always planned on getting a Park TW-1 and TW-2 rather than the ratchet type. I just noticed today that they've discontinued them . There is still some old stock available from some suppliers but I don't know if I want to cough up the cash right now...
            I have one (TW-1), and I honestly haven't used it once. If you plan to use them on a regular basis, get the ratchet type, you can still buy a handful of them for the price. You really only need a 4nm and a 5nm for most cases. They are much easier to use in my opinion.
            Steel is real! => I ride a Nimbus!

Comment

Originally posted by juggleaddict View Post
              I have one (TW-1), and I honestly haven't used it once. If you plan to use them on a regular basis, get the ratchet type, you can still buy a handful of them for the price. You really only need a 4nm and a 5nm for most cases. They are much easier to use in my opinion.
              I know the ratcheting ones are cheaper, the beam wrenches appealed because they would never require calibration.

Similar to you, however, I've never felt the need to use one.
              Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

I think a torque wrench is very useful when installing cranks. I use it every time. The cranks don't come loose.
                "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

Truing stand could be nice, if you could find a used one for a good price. And spare tubes are always good to have around.
                  ... and nipples, never forget the nipples.
                  Saskatchewanian

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Reading some other threads I now realize I "need" a pair of Five Ten Impact shoes.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XEXFOI"]Five Ten Impact[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058YRLCS"]Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Shorts[/ame]
                    The Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Shorts came today and I rode for 2 miles with them. They are so much better than the other shorts I was using.

For the "computer" I have been using my Apple watch paired with my phone. Together they give me GPS speed & distance, heart rate, and of course time all tracked in the native "activity" app which keeps a daily history automatically.
                    Last edited by JamesCSmith; 2016-02-10, 04:54 AM. Reason: Added link to shoes

Comment

Re-posting my shopping list in alternate format
                      [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F3FKHS"]Under Armour Men's Tech Short Sleeve Tee, Royal (400), Large Under Armour[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058YRLCS"]Columbia Men's Silver Ridge Cargo Short, Fossil, 34x12 Columbia[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SXHP0Q"]CamelBak Lobo Hydration Pack, Imperial Blue/Charcoal CamelBak[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V3U8A8"]Triple 8 Hired Hands (Black, X-Large) Triple Eight[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y5XJOS"]Kali Protectives Aazis Plus 130 Soft Knee/Shin Guard (Green, X-Large) Kali Pr...[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ULWS4WI"]Triple 8 Brainsaver Rubber Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner (Carbon, X-Large) Adu...[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXTORC4"]Cygolite Metro 550 USB Light Cygo Lite[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R950A9A"]CygoLite ExpiliOn/Metro/Streak/Pace Helmet Mount Kit Cygo Lite[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010KN72EI"]Bike Mini Pump; High Pressure Compact Bicycle Pump For Presta & S...[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCSmith View Post
                        Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Reading some other threads I now realize I "need" a pair of Five Ten Impact shoes.Five Ten Impact
                        You'll like the Five Tennies. They feel like they are glued to your pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
                          I will probably buy the wrench, not wanting to screw up this almost $2K item. But, in general, I wonder if a torque wrench is worth it for the rest of the unicycle.
                          I think you've about covered it. I bought my torque wrench when it was time to not screw up my expensive Schlumpf hub. I've never used one on other parts of a unicycle, though I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

I just got the old-school "bendy" kind where the non-bending part moves on the scale to show you your torque level. Crude, but simple. I've only ever hand-tightened the little shift button screws (with a small allen key), but have never had a problem.
                          Last edited by johnfoss; 2016-02-10, 06:58 AM.
                          John Foss
                          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
                            Kris spec'd the cranks at 150/125 which is exactly what you want.
                            Crank-length...I use 165mm cranks on my 26" mUni. I am rather tall and heavy, and the hills on the local trails are pretty steep. I would have ordered a new KH26 with the 165/137 dual holes. However...I know some good riders who can out-climb me with shorter cranks.

Yesterday I took my 29" out on the trails/hills behind my house, after replacing the 170mm cranks with 150s. I was able to climb all right, but thirty minutes after my ride, my legs felt a little bit cramp-y.

Jamey Mossengren (climbing machine on a 26/137 which baffles my mind) said shorter cranks facilitate applying power throughout the full circle of the pedal stroke. I will be practicing some more with 150s; If I start hurting, I'm going back to 165mm.

Comment

My KH 26 arrived today and so did some new padded cycling shorts. This should be a great weekend.

Comment

No COD was required. Total shipping from Alberta Canada to California was only 20 Canadian dollars for "flat rate shipping" which took 9 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X