Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle speeds at Wikipedia???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unicycle speeds at Wikipedia???

    I was just ready this article on unicycles at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicycle

    About half way down the page it has a section on "speed"

    seems a bit on the high side to me... I'm riding a 26" with less than one year experience (not up to max speed yet). I do about 5-6mph average speed and have hit 7mph twice... according to their chart (below) I should be doing average speed of about 8-9mph which seems high.

    Wheel Size / Avg / High
    20" 5mph 9mph
    24" 7mph 12mph
    29" 10mph 17mph
    36" 11mph 28mph

    it does say "citation needed" (needs references to a reliable source) so...
    Nimbus II 26"

  • #2
    Crank length would make a difference.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you replaced mph with km/h the lower range would be attainable, but the upper range would be hard for even the elite riders to maintain for extended periods.

      A good average for me when I was training for Ride The Lobster was 18.5 km/h on a 36er.
      My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

      Comment


      • #4
        11mph average for a 36er is about right for a good rider (I usually do anywhere between 9 and 11 for a full ride, whereas there's a couple of people I follow on Strava who can keep up a 11-13mph average) but the 28mph high speed sounds a bit wrong!
        “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

        Comment


        • #5
          I fixed it. I removed the high column because except for the 36er category there isn't really any data for that which means someone just made those values up.

          I switched the average speed category to medium speed and lowered the values to 4, 6, 8 and 10. I suppose I could make a poll about it but these seemed quite a bit more reasonable than the originals.

          Comment


          • #6
            Get data from the the last UNICON to determine the typical racing speed.
            Gilby

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gilby View Post
              Get data from the the last UNICON to determine the typical racing speed.
              Good idea! Although I'm not sure how helpful that would be with only 1 or 2 wheel sizes.
              Last edited by Shmolagin; 2015-10-19, 11:22 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shmolagin View Post
                I fixed it. I removed the high column because except for the 36er category there isn't really any data for that which means someone just made those values up.
                Those original speeds were fine and I suggest you revert your changes because you have no authoritative figures. Moreover you have not even looked for data that is available.

                Novices are often surprised by the speeds even a reasonably good rider can achieve. And utterly in disbelief of expert levels.

                On my 26 with a 2.15 inch tyre (hardly an ideal racing tyre) on the road, I can cruise easily at 12 kph (7.5 mph). When I work at it, I average over 15 kph (9 mph) for ten kilometres. On short bursts I can exceed 20 kph (12.5 mph). Those figures would be consistent with the original Wikipedia values and I am certainly no elite rider.

                Take note that the ten kilometre World Record for a "Standard Unicycle" (in this case, 24.3 inch maximum tyre diameter and 125 mm cranks) is about 28 minutes which is considerably faster than the Wikipedia figure for a 24 inch.

                To put that in perspective, it is a cadence of about 180.
                Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
                  Those original speeds were fine and I suggest you revert your changes because you have no authoritative figures. Moreover you have not even looked for data that is available.

                  Novices are often surprised by the speeds even a reasonably good rider can achieve. And utterly in disbelief of expert levels.

                  On my 26 with a 2.15 inch tyre (hardly an ideal racing tyre) on the road, I can cruise easily at 12 kph (7.5 mph). When I work at it, I average over 15 kph (9 mph) for ten kilometres. On short bursts I can exceed 20 kph (12.5 mph). Those figures would be consistent with the original Wikipedia values and I am certainly no elite rider.

                  Take note that the ten kilometre World Record for a "Standard Unicycle" (in this case, 24.3 inch maximum tyre diameter and 125 mm cranks) is about 28 minutes which is considerably faster than the Wikipedia figure for a 24 inch.

                  To put that in perspective, it is a cadence of about 180.
                  It's Wikipedia man, feel free to change it back if you would like.

                  Someone named Dennis Bratland deleted the section after I modified it anyway.
                  Last edited by Shmolagin; 2015-10-20, 03:09 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shmolagin View Post
                    Good idea! Although I'm not sure how helpful that would be with only 1 or 2 wheel sizes.
                    How many wheel sizes does NASCAR use? In other words, the data is extremely helpful within the context of the respective sport. We have four main wheel sizes in unicycle racing:
                    20" - Mostly used by kids 10 and under
                    24" - Track, and people who don't have something bigger for the 10k
                    29" - The low end of "unlimited" for longer Road races
                    36" - Biggest size commonly available
                    Add Schlumpf to complicate things, but also gives you additional comparitive wheel sizes (which should always be used in context; a 54" wheel does not handle like a 36" with Schlumpf)

                    Originally posted by Shmolagin View Post
                    Someone named Dennis Bratland deleted the section after I modified it anyway.
                    Was he being a brat? Or maybe that's just where he lives...
                    Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-10-20, 04:37 AM.
                    John Foss
                    www.unicycling.com

                    "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Those averages are for obstacle-free courses, I guess. Traffic lights ruin your averages. E.g. my 36" cruising speed is 17-18 km/h, my average is 14 km/h, because I have a lot of traffic lights and construction on my way.

                      On a well-paved bicycle path the cruising speed goes up to 20 km/h.

                      On the 26" my cruising speed was ~15 km/h, around 17 km/h on a well-paved bicycle path. My top speeds were in the range between 20 and 21 km/h or up to 24 km/h downhill (I only went that far at the end of a decline). My 26" is equipped with 115 mm cranks, I used to ride 100 mm, which feels faster, but according to the cycle computer it isn't. So I went back to 115 mm for the additional control.

                      Join Unicyclemap.com!
                      ----
                      [ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
                      ----
                      onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kamikaze View Post
                        Those averages are for obstacle-free courses, I guess. Traffic lights ruin your averages. E.g. my 36" cruising speed is 17-18 km/h, my average is 14 km/h, because I have a lot of traffic lights and construction on my way.

                        On a well-paved bicycle path the cruising speed goes up to 20 km/h.

                        On the 26" my cruising speed was ~15 km/h, around 17 km/h on a well-paved bicycle path. My top speeds were in the range between 20 and 21 km/h or up to 24 km/h downhill (I only went that far at the end of a decline). My 26" is equipped with 115 mm cranks, I used to ride 100 mm, which feels faster, but according to the cycle computer it isn't. So I went back to 115 mm for the additional control.
                        But are those speeds on flat terrain or with hills. Here in Denmark there are hills everywhere. For me it is impossible to ride even 5 km without riding up hills. Last weekend I managed 12km in 1 hour on a 29inch. Then again I'm a relative beginner with only 4 months of experience.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                          But are those speeds on flat terrain or with hills. Here in Denmark there are hills everywhere.
                          As you build up your muscles and refine your technique you will find that hills don't make such a lot of difference to your speed until they get quite steep.
                          Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                            But are those speeds on flat terrain or with hills. Here in Denmark there are hills everywhere. For me it is impossible to ride even 5 km without riding up hills. Last weekend I managed 12km in 1 hour on a 29inch. Then again I'm a relative beginner with only 4 months of experience.
                            Those figures don't include climbing. Slight inclines can feel a little better, because the contact patch moves forward, which feels like you have more control and you dare to go faster.

                            I'm much slower on steep inclines, where I basically find a rhythm that works and stick with it.

                            Join Unicyclemap.com!
                            ----
                            [ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
                            ----
                            onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well, the high column was quite accurate according to this thread:
                              http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...=speed&page=32

                              For the average speed there exists a not so well structured thread here but you could also calculate some values from unicon results. To me the original values from wikipedia looked OK because even I can sustain those speeds and I am by no means a fast long distance rider
                              www.bikepark-info.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X