Unicycling helping my back pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicycling helping my back pain

I've had low back pain for years. Unicycling has been so effective at reducing it that even if I hated everything else about unicycling, I'd keep doing it just for the way it seems to be healing my back. Anyone else experienced this?
    In the age of super-boredom
    Hype and mediocrity
    Celebrate relentlessness
    Menace to society

Yep! Mostly because of the core strengthening, but UPDing doesn't feel great.

Comment

Yep! Doc once told me that the only way I was going to avoid back pain, was to keep my core strong or surgery. Yay unicycles! (weird bone formation in my spine)

Comment

YES! I've had lower back pain on and off for over 8 years and unicycling seems to be the best treatment

I think it's the combination of strengthening all the small muscles so the pressure on spine is reduced later when not unicycling, plus the movement of the spine moves fluid through the discs (as opposed to the fluid being squeezed out when sitting for hours).

I think if you don't have acute back pain, then unicycling is about the best thing for the back!

I unicycle at least once a week (usually commute 2-3 days) for my back (and it's fun too of course)!
        36" Nimbus Oracle, VCX 100/125/150, 200mm disc
        29+ KH, Maxxis DHR II 29x3, 127/150 Spirits
        Schlumpf (KH29) Duro Crux 29x3.25 137/117 Spirits
        26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
        19" Trials Impact Athmos
        20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX

Comment

Originally posted by Catsmeat View Post
          Anyone else experienced this?
          Definitely YES!
          Einradfahren in Sachsen:
          einradsachsen.com
          f/EinradSachsen
          07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

Absolutely! I've had bad discs for 30 years, and constant back problems. Almost NO problems since I started unicycling 3 years ago. The more I ride the better I feel.
            "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

Likewise here. I really wonder what would be found if someone did a serious study on the specific health benefits of unicycling.

Comment

I don't suffer with back pain, well unless I fall off that is. But I've now got abs of steel from learning. Saving a fortune on gym fees and feeling generally way better all over. I started for the challenge but I'm going to stick with it for the other benefits.
                If you haven't grown up by the time you're 50 then you don't have to...

Comment

Originally posted by Catsmeat View Post
                  I've had low back pain for years. Unicycling has been so effective at reducing it that even if I hated everything else about unicycling, I'd keep doing it just for the way it seems to be healing my back. Anyone else experienced this?
                  Yes!

I herniated my L4/5 and L5/Sacrum disks in 4-wheeler mishap back in 2009. Even after years of chiropractor visits (2-3x/wk), daily inversion therapy, and bicycling about 100 miles/week, I was still experiencing recurring pain and very susceptible to lumbar strains. This spring, I started unicycling more frequently, increasing from 8-10 rides/year to almost daily. After about 2 weeks of daily riding, I noticed I was sleeping through the night and waking up in the morning pain free. I figure the fast-twitch muscle response from balancing while pedaling promotes uniform core strength and is the perfect exercise for lumbar spine support. I've had no lower back pain this summer - the first summer in six years. And my inversion table is now a laundry rack.

Comment

You're preaching to the choir! I first noticed the benefits to my back when getting out of cars. I felt like I was rising up, out of the seat, with no effort.

Comment

Originally posted by LargeEddie View Post
                      Likewise here. I really wonder what would be found if someone did a serious study on the specific health benefits of unicycling.
                      +1: it's time to suggest this topic for poor students looking for a PhD thesis subject!
                      + crowdfunding to sponsor this scientific project?
                      Last edited by wobbling bear; 2015-09-08, 12:08 PM.
                      One Wheel : bear necessity
                      (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

+1

I had bad back problems for >20 years following badly lifting a lawn mower. My back muscles atrophied as I tried to "protect" it. I then got knocked off my bike by an uninsured car. The UK Motor Insurers Bureau, to whom we all pay a part of our car insurance for cases like this, gave me 3000. I got physiotherapy till I was strong enough to take up unicycling (at 50) and have had few back problems ever since. When my back starts to hurt from my sedentary job, I know it's time to go for a ride to strengthen the core muscles again. My weekly uni-hockey is vital too.

I was told that the little muscles at the base of the back (multifidus) can lose a significant proportion of their strength within a few days due to lack of use.

Jerry
                        "One wheel good: two wheels bad"
                        George OneWheel, "Unicycle Farm"

Comment

@ JerryAttrick. That's a great avatar you've got there. It brings a smile to my face.

Comment

Originally posted by unibokk View Post
                            @ JerryAttrick. That's a great avatar you've got there. It brings a smile to my face.
                            And a great forum name too!

Comment

Originally posted by JerryAttrick View Post
                              +1

I was told that the little muscles at the base of the back (multifidus) can lose a significant proportion of their strength within a few days due to lack of use.

Jerry

Yep, i hadnt ridden in over a week and my back, legs, shoulders, neck, heck lets just say my whole body feels like s##t. Was back on the wheel this morning for a couple of hours, all healed! Darn its a euphoric drug, despite the crotch pinch.

Comment

Working...
                              X