Hopping up stairs on a 36er?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopping up stairs on a 36er?

Attempting to hop up almost 70 stairs. A heck of a challenge though, and I couldn't resist at least trying! Only thing I could compare it with is climbing Fargo...which almost seems "easy" by comparison! It literally felt as if the 36er weighed 100 pounds by the halfway point!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIc6uMFBllA"]Extreme 36er Unicycling - Hopping UP 68 stairs! - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-07-20, 10:47 PM.
    Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
    Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
    -Dani Buron

Website
    Videos
    Facebook

Very clean. Well done!

Comment

There are techniques which look hard but aren't so difficult. This is the opposite. Looks easy, but is quite hard, especially on the 36". Good job!

Comment

Yeah, so hard to do! Amazing how easy you make it look. So awesome stamina!

Comment

That's because it DOES weigh 100 pounds by the time you get halfway up anything.

Well done!
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

This video was posted yesterday, but I watched it -or one a lot like it- at least a year ago. There was a second version of it- same Unigeezer, same stairway- that was filmed by a drone, with lots of cool aerial shots. Or am I missing something?

Either way, it's an inspiring video. After a year of hard work, I hopped about 56 stairs the other day without dismounting (though I stopped to idle briefly on each landing), but I was on a 20" wheel!!! Hopping like this on a 36" would probably be a great way to practice. At the moment, though, I don't even have the nerve to try it on my 29.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Originally posted by song View Post
              This video was posted yesterday, but I watched it -or one a lot like it- at least a year ago. There was a second version of it- same Unigeezer, same stairway- that was filmed by a drone, with lots of cool aerial shots. Or am I missing something?

Either way, it's an inspiring video. After a year of hard work, I hopped about 56 stairs the other day without dismounting (though I stopped to idle briefly on each landing), but I was on a 20" wheel!!! Hopping like this on a 36" would probably be a great way to practice. At the moment, though, I don't even have the nerve to try it on my 29.
              It had been a little more than a year since that aerial video of me hopping up the same set, but I wanted to try it again just to see if could still do it. And I thought it would also be better to get a more "intimate" up close perspective. I know that at a certain point, age will have the last word on things like this, so basically I just keep "checking the tank, to see if there's still enough fuel in it"!
              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-07-21, 08:38 PM.
              -Dani Buron

Website
              Videos
              Facebook

Comment

In the old video, as I recall, you seemed a lot more worn out at the end of your climb than in this new video.

Comment

Originally posted by song View Post
                  In the old video, as I recall, you seemed a lot more worn out at the end of your climb than in this new video.
                  Haha, I was still very worn out, at least as much or more than last time. I was also about 5 seconds slower this time. I edited out the part right after I unfastened my helmet, where I took a much needed break to catch my breath. Here's a couple of vid captures of part of that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	2456652

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	2456653
                  Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-07-21, 09:50 PM.
                  -Dani Buron

Website
                  Videos
                  Facebook

Comment

I would have to say, these two pics make you look more human

Also, I I would like to add, you must of had to be a late blooming prodigy, but a prodigy for sure! Because I dont ever see anybody here, 40 and up, ever, or even close to catching up to your skill level!

Comment

Originally posted by UPD View Post
                      I would have to say, these two pics make you look more human

Also, I would like to add, you must of had to be a late blooming prodigy, but a prodigy for sure! Because I dont ever see anybody here, 40 and up, ever, or even close to catching up to your skill level!
                      There are so many uni-skills I wish I had, like being good at trials and tricks. But my focus has mostly been on MUni from the start, followed by distance and road climbing and the endurance aspects of the sport. I marvel at how many great riders we have out there, with Kris H. being the first to inspire me, and continues to do so. What he has accomplished in and for the sport is just so amazing to me.

And it's great seeing all the young riders that are pushing the sport to new heights every day. My friend Augie, at just 15, has already ridden a uni century like it was a walk in the park, can already ride rings around me in MUni and other disciplines, and continues to astound me with his progress.

As I've said before, I only wish I hadn't stopped riding when I was a kid, but the uni-revolution was still many decades away at that time, and I had no inkling of what was to come. But I'm still grateful to have had the chance to pick up where I left off all those years ago, and that could explain why there's so much passion; I've been lucky enough the second time around to truly appreciate something before it's gone.
                      -Dani Buron

Website
                      Videos
                      Facebook

Comment

Amazing stuff!
                        And being in California in July, I bet the temperature wasn't exactly fresh and cool...

Comment

Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                          Amazing stuff!
                          And being in California in July, I bet the temperature wasn't exactly fresh and cool...
                          Yeah, very humid and hot, with lots of rain mixed in! I would have normally waited till later in the day to do the stairs, but wanted to get there and do it first thing before it got too hot. Now, I'm in search of some stair sets to hop *down*! But not on my 36er, lol. I found a great 8 set at a park that has grass at the bottom, which will help if I don't land it well!
                          Last edited by MuniAddict; 2015-07-23, 12:34 AM.
                          -Dani Buron

Website
                          Videos
                          Facebook

Comment

Great job as always.

Comment

For someone who is not too tired...you looked pretty tired. Nice job; that is simply incredible.
                              I am One with One, one on top of One, riding as One
                              ohmmmmmmmmmmm
                              20 inch Torker CX
                              29 inch Nimbus - street

Comment

Working...
                              X