Road camber solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finnspin View Post
    What you were doing, is, while it's nice that you figured it out and are able to put it into words, simply countering the forces the camber enacts on your unicycle with your feet. ...l.
    On a flat road the rolling resistance of a rolling tire is in part determined by the distribution of the load. This distribution is not equal and some of it introduces a moment counteracting the moment introduced through the pedals. Another source of energy loss is rubber deformation.

When experiencing road camber the resulting effect is that a moment about the vertical axis is introduced and needs to be corrected somehow. On a unicycle this is very annoying since counteracting these forces is done by leaning which in turn messes with the forces on your legs (and rubbing between the saddle and inner thigh).

So an ideal unicycle tire should resist unequal deformation and thus minimize moments about the vertical axis.

For those interested in tire forces:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...er-angle-gamma

Comment

What you were doing, is, while it's nice that you figured it out and are able to put it into words, simply countering the forces the camber enacts on your unicycle with your feet. Which is how almost everyone countersteers against camber. Maybe your discovery will help some more "mind based" riders though. I personally can't translate very complex movements from my mind to my body very well.
      I just happened to notice this one time after five years of riding. I shared it because I thought it might help someone. I have not seen anyone else post any observation about what they are doing with their feet to counter camber though many have asked for suggestions.

Some people like me learn skills very effectively through intellectual analysis followed by "forget what you were thinking and just do it", letting the subconscious use the whatever resources are available. This time the process happened to pass information in the other direction.

Of course it might not be what other people do and it might not be the best way for some. It might not even be what I do next time or in other circumstances.
      Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

Maybe your discovery will help some more "mind based" riders though. I personally can't translate very complex movements from my mind to my body very well.
        I guess a lot of people "over think" unicycling. Trying to describe the mechanics of fighting camber, however, doesn't make OTM a "mind based" unicyclist. The word based implies that the mind initiates the action. OTM's thought process could have been, instead, reflective; his mind picked up on what his body was already doing.

I agree with finnspin's point about complex motions. My mind can only give one or two simple instructions to my body. In the case of OTM's camber solution, pointing the toe of one foot toward the ground and pushing backwards...is not too complex.

My only suggestion for dealing with camber is: Find a very short section with extreme camber. Session on it in both directions. Experiment doing different things. What happens if I lean this way with the hips? Does one or the other hand on the bar ends produce a better result? Find out what works. The reason I suggest practicing on extreme camber is so the rider may discover every available solution, rather than just the solution to deal with a small amount of camber.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
          OTM's thought process could have been, instead, reflective; his mind picked up on what his body was already doing.
          Exactly.

Find a very short section with extreme camber. The reason I suggest practicing on extreme camber is so the rider may discover every available solution, rather than just the solution to deal with a small amount of camber.
          Exactly again.

Crossing these driveways are my extreme camber test beds.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28....7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28....7i13312!8i6656

Launching up the steep sides onto the driveway isn't a trivial challenge either.
          Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

Camber ó Iím assuming most of you donít know JACK!

Here in the Pacific Northwestest United States, we unicyclist of Washington and Oregon have a sort of right of passage ride that a few complete (I think itís still five) and many aspire to try (I feel confident over a dozen have voiced it as a goal or attempted).

It requires road camber for 204+ miles on a unicycle in two days or less.

And JACK pioneered the Seattle to Portland (STP). Some argue he never completed it. If you know JACK, youíll probably agree with me, Iím sure heís a finisher.

Knee issues become an issue for any who try seriously to master centuries worth of road camber. Iím proud of any who traverse even a steep driveway or stretch out a few miles of the ďrealĒ open road instead of doing loops on flat paths or tracks.

Most serious open road unicyclist develop their own peculiar methods of conquering camber. Many a post has been made about contact patch, angle, friction, turning forces, shimming, turning the seat, and tricks.

I glad each of you found something to say and something that works for you. Now that youíre all experts I invite each of you to come follow up behind JACK and do a couple of back to back centuries between Seattle and Portland. Let the 9,999 bicyclists know a unicyclist can ride camber.

Yes, I KNOW JACK,
            JM
            You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself....

Comment

Working...
            X