Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triton Triple Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The bearing weight is distributed from the seat down

    I don't believe there's any more bearing pressure with a Brake hanger, as the majority of weight is still distributed from the seat downward. The only duress the UCM comes under is under braking. So as long as UCM tight and you have the same gap between thread inserts on each side, you should never have any issues. bwrightback has described the rat tail file modification for Triton frame to a T.


    -----------

    QUOTE=mindbalance;1644573]@bouin-bouin

    Here is a close up of the bearing cups. I suspect I do have the off centre version of the frame. I can see that the bearings are not in line with the bolt holes of the frame.

    What are the downsides of this set up? Apart from problems with disk brake set ups using UCM or d'Brake. Are the bearings under more stress seeing as the frame isn't centred above them? Does this arrangement mean a weaker set up overall?

    I am curious what the thinking was behind this to make things this way...

    Thanks a lot
    Felix[/QUOTE]

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mountainuni1 View Post
      I don't believe there's any more bearing pressure with a Brake hanger, as the majority of weight is still distributed from the seat downward. The only duress the UCM comes under is under braking. So as long as UCM tight and you have the same gap between thread inserts on each side, you should never have any issues. bwrightback has described the rat tail file modification for Triton frame to a T.
      I see, thanks - I wasn't actually concerned about the UCM stressing the bearings. I was just curious about the off centre alignment of this older triton frame, and before that a bit about getting disk clearance with the splayed out frame legs of the triple. But now it all looks set to be possible and I see that UCM is the way to go. Did you get my email about ordering a V2 UCM? The max size rotor I can run will be 160mm as anything bigger will rub on the frame.

      @bouin-bouin - thanks for the clarification

      Cheers
      Felix
      Last edited by mindbalance; 2015-01-31, 07:43 AM.
      The wheel is come full circle, I am here.

      Comment


      • #18
        160 vs 180 issue and UCM v2 not in the works

        Hi Felix, No V2 UCM is in the works, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Not really understanding the 160 vs 180 issue. The diameter of the rotor shouldn't affect any frame rub. On some applications, I have found the need to shave off the inside head of the CRB's that come very close to the frame stantion, even with a 6mm spacer. But my kits only use 180 rotors, as that's what was fabricated to mate up to the SINZ 5 bolt cranks. If 160 is the biggest you want, then the KH Spirits is likely your only option.





        Originally posted by mindbalance View Post
        I see, thanks - I wasn't actually concerned about the UCM stressing the bearings. I was just curious about the off centre alignment of this older triton frame, and before that a bit about getting disk clearance with the splayed out frame legs of the triple. But now it all looks set to be possible and I see that UCM is the way to go. Did you get my email about ordering a V2 UCM? The max size rotor I can run will be 160mm as anything bigger will rub on the frame.

        @bouin-bouin - thanks for the clarification

        Cheers
        Felix

        Comment


        • #19
          Hi Jeff (mountainuni1, right?)
          Thanks for your response
          Right - my concern about using a 180 rotor is that I believe it will rub the frame as the legs of the triton are not straight but angle out slightly. With the 160 rotor pictured a few posts back I got just about 2mm clearance but if the disk grew even a little in size this clearance would decrease to less that 1mm. Too close for comfort.

          I realise your UCM works with SINZ 180 rotor and nothing smaller... I assumed that this would be it wouldn't with with Spirits using 160 - or have I now got that wrong? From your response I guess I have as I now can't logically see why KH spirits and a 160 rotor and the UCM wouldn't chum up happily together and play ball if I have then I'm happy to get the UCM and use it with the KH cranks, and do a little filing to get it to fit. Sounds like a nice option.

          I saw on your site a picture with a diagram of the UCM and there it did state that it would work with 160 to 200mm ISO adapters, but I got a tad confused as others had stated (as does your site's main info) that 180 was the minimum (but I guess they were talking just about SINZ)

          So when it comes to placing an order I should just do it via your website? How long does your international shipping take to Czech?

          Thanks for all your help
          Felix
          Last edited by mindbalance; 2015-01-31, 08:17 PM.
          The wheel is come full circle, I am here.

          Comment


          • #20
            Piggy-backing on this thread for an additional question.

            Context:

            A Triton Triple frame with a 65mm rim and a 26x4.0 tire. When riding, I get some tire rub on the right side.

            Wheel trueness is out because I was able to try a second wheelset in (same side for the rub). It could be tire deformation but I guess it would be consistent on both sides (especially when cranking hard) and less a problem at higher pressure.

            With a Surly Nate 3.8 27tpi @ ~ 30psi: rubs on the right when cranking hard
            With a Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.0 SnakeSkin @ ~ 30psi: rubs on the right almost all the time

            Questions:
            • am I just unlucky and the Triton Triple has a clearance so tight that I am out of luck and should get used to it ?
            • or is it possible that the frame has a problem (not straight or flexing) ?


            For reference, I have been running with the Nate in this frame for a while and I only noticed some rub recently.

            Thanks in advance for your input
            Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2016-07-08, 07:07 AM.
            => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
            => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
              Piggy-backing on this thread for an additional question.

              Context:

              A Triton Triple frame with a 65mm rim and a 26x4.0 tire. When riding, I get some tire rub on the right side.

              Wheel trueness is out because I was able to try a second wheelset in (same side for the rub). It could be tire deformation but I guess it would be consistent on both sides (especially when cranking hard) and less a problem at higher pressure.

              With a Surly Nate 3.8 27tpi @ ~ 30psi: rubs on the right when cranking hard
              With a Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.0 SnakeSkin @ ~ 30psi: rubs on the right almost all the time

              Questions:
              • am I just unlucky and the Triton Triple has a clearance so tight that I am out of luck and should get used to it ?
              • or is it possible that the frame has a problem (not straight or flexing) ?


              For reference, I have been running with the Nate in this frame for a while and I only noticed some rub recently.

              Thanks in advance for your input
              I rode a 65mm rim and Nate on my Triple Triton and found I got some rub (both sides) on very steep climbs only. I tend to ride higher pressure (15+psi). I would check the seating on the bearing caps if you haven't already but the fact that it seems to be rubbing one side may mean you pedal stronger with that one. You don't have an internal rotor, right? Sometimes a wheel won't (or maybe can't) be dished properly and the rim is closer to one side.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by waaalrus View Post
                I rode a 65mm rim and Nate on my Triple Triton and found I got some rub (both sides) on very steep climbs only. I tend to ride higher pressure (15+psi). I would check the seating on the bearing caps if you haven't already but the fact that it seems to be rubbing one side may mean you pedal stronger with that one. You don't have an internal rotor, right? Sometimes a wheel won't (or maybe can't) be dished properly and the rim is closer to one side.
                Hi waaalrus,

                Both my regular wheel and test wheel are symmetrically built. And it would really be bad luck that two different wheels have the same tension imbalance (hence the comparison).

                I will try again by paying attention to the bearing caps but I don't remember having trouble mounting and tightening them...

                I don't think that pulling the frame arms apart to get an inflated 4.0 tire in would have any impact, wouldn't it? (it is titanium after all!).

                I will keep you posted with pics
                => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

                Comment


                • #23
                  even so the frame flexes much less than aluminium frames the clearance for 4.0 tires is to narrow for upphill.
                  the frame was designed for the 3.8 Larry maximum

                  5" frames will be presented at unicon

                  cheers jogi
                  bei tierquälern hört die toleranz auf.
                  wer elfenbein konsumiert tötet elefanten,
                  wer fleisch ißt quält und tötet
                  www.ridetriton.com

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jogi View Post
                    5" frames will be presented at unicon
                    Will there be a trade-in program too ?
                    => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                    => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      two of them will be available at UNICON
                      bei tierquälern hört die toleranz auf.
                      wer elfenbein konsumiert tötet elefanten,
                      wer fleisch ißt quält und tötet
                      www.ridetriton.com

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X