Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

127 vs 125 cranks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 127 vs 125 cranks

    I now have a pair of 127 and 125 moments for flatland use on two different trials unis:

    - The 127/110 dual hole on my KH20
    - 125s on my Impact Gravity

    You'd think 2mm would make absolutely no difference, but for some reason I feel a lot more control and torque with the 127s on my KH20. Is that possible? I really don't think it's psychological. Do you think there's some other factor at play between the two unis? Both have Naomi seats, both have rollos installed, and both are at about the same height. Even the wheels are the same, rims, tires etc.

    What gives?
    Last edited by kahunacohen; 2014-03-24, 01:31 PM.
    KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
    Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
    Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

  • #2
    So what about the Q-factor? The spirits should have more Q-factor than the moments.
    Einradfahren in Sachsen:
    einradsachsen.com
    f/EinradSachsen
    07.06.2020: Europamarathon

    Comment


    • #3
      They are both Moments, but appear to be different years. The 125s have the thread inserts, the 127/110s do not, so I think the 127s are newer. I wonder if the qfactor could be different.

      They feel like a different beast. I have trouble hopping seat out in front with the 125s compared to the 127s, that is to say I feel more stable and comfortable setting up to do tricks on the 127s. But, again, I can't imagine that 2cm would make any difference which is why I bought the 125s.

      It's very weird. There must be another factor, like the frame, or qfactor.
      Last edited by kahunacohen; 2014-03-24, 02:01 PM.
      KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
      Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
      Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it makes perfect sense since your midi-chlorian count is very high.

        Seriously though, I don't know if you could really feel the difference. 2mm's is about 1.5% longer. I guess I can sort of tell the difference between 165's on my fixie, to the 172.5's on my roadie. It's not enough of a difference to make me feel any performance difference, but I can feel it.

        The short dual hole moments didn't have inserts due to less space between the holes, and the larger holes necessary for the inserts. I think that gaining strength through dropping the inserts was thought to be okay since the cranks were designed for road use.
        "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
          Both have Naomi seats, both have rollos installed, and both are at about the same height. Even the wheels are the same, rims, tires etc.
          Do they also have the same Pedals?
          Einradfahren in Sachsen:
          einradsachsen.com
          f/EinradSachsen
          07.06.2020: Europamarathon

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, twisted PCs.
            KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
            Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
            Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

            Comment


            • #7
              They are two different unis. Different wheels, different frames, tires, etc. It's going to make a difference in the way they 'feel', could all be in your mind, but that doesn't make you feel it less.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
                I now have a pair of 127 and 125 moments for flatland use on two different trials unis:

                - The 127/110 dual hole on my KH20
                - 125s on my Impact Gravity

                You'd think 2mm would make absolutely no difference, but for some reason I feel a lot more control and torque with the 127s on my KH20. Is that possible? I really don't think it's psychological. Do you think there's some other factor at play between the two unis? Both have Naomi seats, both have rollos installed, and both are at about the same height. Even the wheels are the same, rims, tires etc.

                What gives?
                If you want to settle it, just pick one unicycle and try both crank sizes on it.
                "You can't outrun Death forever.
                But you can make the Bastard work for it."

                --MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
                "Last of The Lancers"
                AFC 32

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by onewheeldave View Post
                  If you want to settle it, just pick one unicycle and try both crank sizes on it.
                  You beat me to saying it...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X