X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shmolagin
    replied
    Originally posted by bwrightback View Post
    You don't think lying them on their sides for 12-24 hours is bad on the pedals/cranks/hubs? I am worried about the cosmetic damage as well. The blankets aren't a bad idea, except they'll get very muddy very quickly. So I'd have to buy blankets specifically for my unicycles. Since I almost always store my unicycles in the trunk, I'd prefer to be more organized about it. A 20" and a 26" barely fit in my trunk on their sides and I hope to add a 29" wheel soon. So I might try to make a small PVC bike rack.
    Laying them on there sides is fine, if that would break them then they'd be way too weak to ride.

As long as there isn't a ton of weight (no pun intended) on them the only thing you really need to worry about in a car is cosmetic damage. I know that in my case most of the cosmetic damage on my unis is from the car.

Leave a comment:

• pierrox
    replied
    Their weight is minimal, so lying of the side won't do anything to them. A violent UPD with the unicycle tumbling down a rocky trail makes more damage!
    A John says, unless someone real heavy sits on them as they're lying on the side, their own weight won't do any harm.

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    You don't think lying them on their sides for 12-24 hours is bad on the pedals/cranks/hubs?
    Not unless someone very heavy sits on them while you drive on a bumpy road. I would venture to assume that most of us have driven unicycles all over the place, on their sides, for many years. It won't affect them at all.

The blanket thing does suddenly get messy if you're returning from a muddy ride. We don't get as much of that around here (especially during a drought). I wouldn't mix my nice blankies with muddy unicycles. Hence the munis are allowed to get more cosmetic wear & tear, as they do on the trails anyway. My "show" unicycles were generally treated much nicer, though I tried to have them be mostly chrome, as it holds up so much better than paint.

Leave a comment:

• bwrightback
    replied
    You don't think lying them on their sides for 12-24 hours is bad on the pedals/cranks/hubs? I am worried about the cosmetic damage as well. The blankets aren't a bad idea, except they'll get very muddy very quickly. So I'd have to buy blankets specifically for my unicycles. Since I almost always store my unicycles in the trunk, I'd prefer to be more organized about it. A 20" and a 26" barely fit in my trunk on their sides and I hope to add a 29" wheel soon. So I might try to make a small PVC bike rack.

Leave a comment:

• Shmolagin
    replied
    Originally posted by MuniOrBust View Post
    And they will even ship orders for only $6.99!

Leave a comment:

• MuniOrBust
    replied
    You can get mover's blankets for cheap at Harbor Freight.
    Last edited by MuniOrBust; 2014-03-05, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    What are moving pads?
    Thick, tough blankets used by movers.
    Originally posted by bwrightback
    I think I like the idea of a rack verses laying them on their sides because I worry that all of the pressure is being put on one crank/pedal, whereas if they are sitting in a rack, the weight is mostly on the tire and bumper.
    Your unicycles are not as dainty as you may think; especially the ones with splined axles. The wear & tear that occurs in the car is not of a major injury sort, but is more cosmetic. Most of the cosmetic damage to my unicycles (not including MUnis) happens in the car, when loaded with other unicycles. Hence your original question, I presume.

The problem with racking setups is that they take up a lot of space, and aren't necessarily flexible to the changes in what you bring on different trips. I usually try to place the wheels more or less vertically, and have learned with much experience how to align multiple unicycles so they will generally stay put, and not scratch each other up. But it depends on the vehicle, and how much you're cramming in there. If a rack won't do, layering with blankets will keep your paint and other finishes safe.

Leave a comment:

• Shmolagin
    replied
    I worry that all of the pressure is being put on one crank/pedal, whereas if they are sitting in a rack, the weight is mostly on the tire and bumper.
    Well you could always fill your trunk up with packing peanuts. Or buy some bean bags to put your unis on...

Leave a comment:

• bwrightback
    replied
    Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
    Consider a budget solution for the rattling unicycles: Old blankets or moving pads. Or new ones; I think you can find some pretty fancy ones on Amazon...
    What are moving pads? I think I like the idea of a rack verses laying them on their sides because I worry that all of the pressure is being put on one crank/pedal, whereas if they are sitting in a rack, the weight is mostly on the tire and bumper.

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Consider a budget solution for the rattling unicycles: Old blankets or moving pads. Or new ones; I think you can find some pretty fancy ones on Amazon...

Leave a comment:

• bwrightback
    replied
    Originally posted by muni123 View Post
    I assume you'll be getting them because they're pink?
    haha no. I have some nice brakes already. I just haven't used them yet because I'm not quite ready to install them. I want to be very efficient at braking with my legs before I transition to brakes. Otherwise I'll just rely on the brakes the entire time.

Leave a comment:

• muni123
    replied
    I assume you'll be getting them because they're pink?

Leave a comment:

• bwrightback
    replied
    Originally posted by pierrox View Post
    WHAAAAAT???!!! How have I never seen these?!?!??

Leave a comment:

• pierrox
    replied
    Haha I'd rather use that money to buy a new part.
    Like a Purple Hope Brake?

Leave a comment:

• Byc
    replied
    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to store your unicycle(s) in the trunk of your car? I generally just lay mine on its side, but I live on bumpy roads and I am interested in something that might secure the whole thing a little bit better. I have a 20" and a 26", and I'm planning on eventually building a 29" wheel. So I think I would need some form of rack that could hold the wheels upright. But it would need to be removable because when I go surfing, I have to be able to put my backseats down and lay my surfboard in the trunk/backseat space.

Any suggestions? Pictures of your set-ups?

Bri
    Thought about something similiar a while ago (except for the surf board part) but not since i have my 36". The 36" fits perfectly into the trunk when lying on its side. I put a blanke over it and can place the 26" half way on top of it.
    My 20" fits easily between driver seatback and rear seat bank.
    Everythings secure enough for bumpy roads, no need to fasten anything.

Greetings

Byc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X