Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Storage Suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Car Storage Suggestions

    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to store your unicycle(s) in the trunk of your car? I generally just lay mine on its side, but I live on bumpy roads and I am interested in something that might secure the whole thing a little bit better. I have a 20" and a 26", and I'm planning on eventually building a 29" wheel. So I think I would need some form of rack that could hold the wheels upright. But it would need to be removable because when I go surfing, I have to be able to put my backseats down and lay my surfboard in the trunk/backseat space.

    Any suggestions? Pictures of your set-ups?

    Bri

  • #2
    Did you see this thread?

    Comment


    • #3
      You can get floor stands for bikes that will hold one wheel or more. I have some two bike models, and I've seen them for three and four. The two bike ones that I have were under $30/peice, and work great for uni's. For traveling with them in the car you may want to run a bungee to the hub to keep the wheel from bouncing out, but it may not be necessary.

      So, all that said, is it really a good idea to "store" your uni's in your car? At least around here theft out of cars is amongst the highest crime rates.

      "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Alice Arctan View Post
        Did you see this thread?
        Oh cool! I didn't see this one! I like Dane's idea.


        Originally posted by jtrops View Post
        You can get floor stands for bikes that will hold one wheel or more. I have some two bike models, and I've seen them for three and four. The two bike ones that I have were under $30/peice, and work great for uni's. For traveling with them in the car you may want to run a bungee to the hub to keep the wheel from bouncing out, but it may not be necessary.

        So, all that said, is it really a good idea to "store" your uni's in your car? At least around here theft out of cars is amongst the highest crime rates.

        Where I live, my car feels safer than my apartment. My landlords have actually snuck into our place without asking while looking for their cat!

        I like the floor racks. I might look into those. They look much more portable than the taller ones. Thanks!
        Last edited by bwrightback; 2014-03-02, 11:07 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jtrops View Post
          You can get floor stands for bikes that will hold one wheel or more. I have some two bike models, and I've seen them for three and four. The two bike ones that I have were under $30/peice, and work great for uni's. For traveling with them in the car you may want to run a bungee to the hub to keep the wheel from bouncing out, but it may not be necessary.

          So, all that said, is it really a good idea to "store" your uni's in your car? At least around here theft out of cars is amongst the highest crime rates.
          Excellent idea!

          Comment


          • #6
            Try Googling "PVC bike rack". Pretty simple to work with.
            Justin

            Nimbus Oregon 26
            Nimbus Oracle 36

            Comment


            • #7
              I dunno... your unis are pretty fancy. Amazon has silk & down pillows for $380 each -- just fill your trunk with those and your uni should be fine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by coyote29er View Post
                I dunno... your unis are pretty fancy. Amazon has silk & down pillows for $380 each -- just fill your trunk with those and your uni should be fine.
                Ha, that's funny!

                My uni's ride along side me in the passenger seat (not joking). I have done the hang and bang in the bed of the truck, but I figure I normally have an empty passenger seat anyways, so why not use it.
                "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by coyote29er View Post
                  I dunno... your unis are pretty fancy. Amazon has silk & down pillows for $380 each -- just fill your trunk with those and your uni should be fine.
                  Haha I'd rather use that money to buy a new part.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bwrightback View Post
                    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to store your unicycle(s) in the trunk of your car? I generally just lay mine on its side, but I live on bumpy roads and I am interested in something that might secure the whole thing a little bit better. I have a 20" and a 26", and I'm planning on eventually building a 29" wheel. So I think I would need some form of rack that could hold the wheels upright. But it would need to be removable because when I go surfing, I have to be able to put my backseats down and lay my surfboard in the trunk/backseat space.

                    Any suggestions? Pictures of your set-ups?

                    Bri
                    Thought about something similiar a while ago (except for the surf board part) but not since i have my 36". The 36" fits perfectly into the trunk when lying on its side. I put a blanke over it and can place the 26" half way on top of it.
                    My 20" fits easily between driver seatback and rear seat bank.
                    Everythings secure enough for bumpy roads, no need to fasten anything.

                    Greetings

                    Byc
                    Wichtig ist nur:
                    "Beim Auffallen nicht Umfallen,
                    beim Umfallen nicht Auffallen."

                    Qu-Ax Luxus 20"
                    Qu-Ax Luxus 24"
                    Qu-Ax/Nimbus 26" Muni
                    KH 36" Muni

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bwrightback View Post
                      Haha I'd rather use that money to buy a new part.
                      Like a Purple Hope Brake?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                        WHAAAAAT???!!! How have I never seen these?!?!??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I assume you'll be getting them because they're pink?
                          My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

                          Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by muni123 View Post
                            I assume you'll be getting them because they're pink?
                            haha no. I have some nice brakes already. I just haven't used them yet because I'm not quite ready to install them. I want to be very efficient at braking with my legs before I transition to brakes. Otherwise I'll just rely on the brakes the entire time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Consider a budget solution for the rattling unicycles: Old blankets or moving pads. Or new ones; I think you can find some pretty fancy ones on Amazon...
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

                              "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X