Best wheel size to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wheel size to learn?

I'm planning on learning how to Uni this year with no Previous Uni experience
    Is there an easy'er Wheel size to start on?

Am looking to go off road when I get some skills going

Also I should add I'm fairly tall 6'4"

For a beginner with thoughts of going off road eventually probably 24-26
    I have both but I like the added speed and smoothness of the 26 so if I had to do it over I would probably just start with a 26". Others might say different.

Comment

"I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

Comment

If you look at the bottom of this page you will see links to a few of the many, many threads that have been started on this topic. At the top of the page is a link to the site's search function which might also be of help.
        -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Originally posted by fugsworth View Post
          For a beginner with thoughts of going off road eventually probably 24-26
          I have both but I like the added speed and smoothness of the 26 so if I had to do it over I would probably just start with a 26". Others might say different.
          Actually I'd say the same. Exactly what I was thinking.

My first uni was a 24" but if I had to do it over I'd get a 26" from the beginning. To me a 24 isn't fast enough. You sorta gotta ask yourself if you're more of a technical rider than one that likes speed. If you like to see that you're getting somewhere and not be pitifully beat by a tired jogger, than at least a 26.

Unless you're John Foss, ungeared:
          17.5 mph, John Foss, Max. indicated speed on 24" with 125mm (multiple repeats)
          I'd love to see a video of that.

But yeah. I would think your height comes into play so definitely a 26er. People say big wheels are harder to learn on and I agree, there's good reason why it is. BUT...if you're a determined, hard working individual, shouldn't matter. I learned most of my stuff on a 26 oracle.

I'd recommend http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torker-Unist...item4d13fd6a9e

or if you got the money and want a keeper that should handle some decent offroads.
          http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/ro...ycle-blue.html

If you want to go on harder MUni (mountain unicycle) rides, then there are unicycles that are heavier but stronger.

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle

That's my thought on the whole thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
          Last edited by Nate128; 2014-01-10, 03:20 AM.

Comment

If you're 6'4" and want to muni, I suggest you get a 24 at minimum.

Comment

trying to decide between 26" and 29"

Unless there is a super wide 650 B rim available

Thanks all for the help full advice
              Sorry to those that are over this topic

Comment

I wouldn't recommend learning on a 29er.

Are you planning on buying a nice uni, or a "learner" uni?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate128 View Post
                  If you want to go on harder MUni (mountain unicycle) rides, then there are unicycles that are heavier but stronger.

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle

That's my thought on the whole thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                  I'm going to correct you here because what you're doing is wrong. Don't send a learner a link to unicycles that cost several hundred dollars. I see that happening all the time in this forum. Beginners don't need an $800, bulletproof unicycle with high-end components and an aggressive downhill tire to learn on. They just want to find out if they like it.
                  -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Originally posted by harper View Post
                    I'm going to correct you here because what you're doing is wrong. Don't send a learner a link to unicycles that cost several hundred dollars. I see that happening all the time in this forum. Beginners don't need an $800, bulletproof unicycle with high-end components and an aggressive downhill tire to learn on. They just want to find out if they like it.
                    I'm just linking him to the unicycle muni website not forcing him to buy it though? What's wrong with looking?

Comment

I was planning on getting one of KH models so no stress

I have been into bikes for a long time and know you get what you pay for

Comment

Originally posted by Goal kicker View Post
                        I was planning on getting one of KH models so no stress

I have been into bikes for a long time and know you get what you pay for

Sent you a pm about the KH.

I think harper thought I was trying to get you to buy a $800 unicycle without you knowing it or something.

But he's right though if you're a beginner, it's best to try it on a cheap unicycle. The issue with cheap unicycles however is that many of them come with uncomfortable seats, end up costing money on parts that break that you could have initially use it for a significantly better more durable unicycle, not to mention the frustration of dealing with it. EDIT: Also forgot to mention if you start getting really interested and you learn fast, before you know it, maybe in a few weeks, you'll have to go shopping for another unicycle.

So remember to ask yourself if you're willing to do what it takes to exploit the hobby to a good extent before quitting, hopefully you won't though
                        Last edited by Nate128; 2014-01-10, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Nimbus has a 24" muni on sale right now for 250 bucks. 100 dollars off just because it has a mess up on the paint of the frame. Pretty sweet deal. http://www.unicycle.com/hot-products...uni-cycle.html

Learning on a knobby tire will be harder imo. But if you're determined to learn, and muni is what you want to do, nothing will stop you. Then again, learning on something that is SUPER INCREDIBLY cheap is also bad. Can't learn on something that isn't full-functional.

The nice thing about buying nicer equipment in hobbies is that if you choose to exit the hobby, you have an item that is actually worth something for reselling back into the community.

Comment

I'm the kind of guy that follows through with things and am keen to learn this new skill set

Dose anyone run 2 wheels in the same frame? I.E get the 29" frame and wheel and swap to the 26" wheel depending on terrain?

Comment

If you run without brakes it's definitely something you could do. In the end, it will only become an annoyance, unless you have some super amazing crazy expensive titanium frame from russia.....

With rim brakes, and now especially disc brakes, swapping wheels around can be really tedious. Even swapping a saddle with seatpost around can be annoying. In the end, I believe it's worth it to just have separate, complete unis.

Comment

Working...
                              X