Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kris Holm's Book - Thoughts and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Glad I know about the book now, so I can order one!

    Comment


    • #17
      I've got the ebook version and love it. It helped me get beyond a few of my beginner-muni hurdles and I find myself going back to it frequently for tips and inspiration. I even gifted a hard copy to a friend of mine so we could get on the same page. Get it? Same... oh never mind.

      Comment


      • #18
        I've had the book for over a year. My wife keeps commenting on how many times I've read it.

        It's validating to find a "real" book about something I am passionate about. A cool thing and not so cool thing about our sport is its low participation. It makes it unique, but also hard to find things like magazines/books etc.
        KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
        Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
        Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

        Comment


        • #19
          First I want to thank Shmolagin for starting this thread and reminding me about the book. I got so busy with life, that it slipped past me.

          Since this thread started I downloaded the E version.

          Reading it reminded me of Paul Parker's book "Free Heel Skiing." There are a lot of parallels that I can draw. First, when the Paul Parker's book came out their was a sparse community of telemark skiiers, and no modern information. The gear was antiquated, and I got weird looks at every ski area I visited (including A-Basin!). I had a lift operator ask if I was really going to go down the mountain on those skinny long ski's. That book was pivotal in the development of Nordic downhill skiing, and I think because of it the world of telemarking exploded.

          In the same way I can see this work by Kris taking on a life of its own. The instruction is clear, and easy to follow. For the first time their is a contemporary reference book for how to ride a mountain or trials unicycle. This could be the catalyst that gets more people taking on the challenge of one wheel adventures.

          The sequencing seems reasonable. The tie in between mountain and trials skills is clear. The reference in the mountain section to the trials skills is important to redirect people who skipped ahead to what they were really interested in. All in all it is very thoughtful.

          I would like to see illustrations that show more specifics, like pedal placement for different techniques. While the text is easy to follow, and the photo's are exceptional, sometimes it is easier to see the important details in an illustration rather than in text, or photo's.

          Distribution is also going to be key if this is going to take it's place alongside books like "Free Heel Skiing." I bought my copy of the first edition of that book at a climbing shop that didn't even sell ski's. It was on the rack with other mountaineering books. At the time I was happy to get any info I could about telemarking (no internet yet). I didn't think twice about buying it. I think getting this book into more varied outlets would do a lot for getting people on one wheel.

          I personally like ebooks. I have been reading the MOBI version. It works well in general, but some of the formatting is a bit off. The active table of contents is nice. My suggestion is to go through the E versions an make sure that the captions for the photo's are on the same page as the photo they refer to. I haven't looked at other E versions yet, so this is directly related to the Kindle version.
          "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

          Comment


          • #20
            Didn't know the ebook version existed. Just downloaded myself a copy. Pics are awesome.

            Comment


            • #21
              Got mine in the mail today! I was planning on going riding tomorrow, but maybe I'll just read all day.... ok I'll do both! Really glad I got this in hardcopy.

              Comment


              • #22
                UDC UK still have them, shipping to the US is 7.50 (GBP) so total would be 23.45 (GBP). Which is about $38.52 (USD).

                http://www.unicycle.uk.com/books-vid...ni-trials.html

                Instructions for ordering from outside Europe:

                http://www.unicycle.uk.com/faq/buyingfromudc.html#58

                Comment


                • #23
                  Thanks to this thread I've now spent 17 that was meant for food shopping, so it better be as good as you all say

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I'm reading my book right now at work! I've only made it half-way through the trials section. I don't really do trials but all of this information is really good for muni. More things to add to my list of stuff to improve.

                    List so-far: Stillstands, switch hops, switch handle, one-foot, figure eights... I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by N22CKC View Post
                      UDC UK still have them, shipping to the US is 7.50 (GBP) so total would be 23.45 (GBP). Which is about $38.52 (USD).

                      http://www.unicycle.uk.com/books-vid...ni-trials.html

                      Instructions for ordering from outside Europe:

                      http://www.unicycle.uk.com/faq/buyingfromudc.html#58

                      Thanks for pointing that out!
                      Because of the smaller market, it's tough to do a special print run for just North America, while Europe still has copies.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by jtrops View Post
                        First I want to thank Shmolagin for starting this thread and reminding me about the book. I got so busy with life, that it slipped past me.

                        Since this thread started I downloaded the E version.

                        Reading it reminded me of Paul Parker's book "Free Heel Skiing." There are a lot of parallels that I can draw. First, when the Paul Parker's book came out their was a sparse community of telemark skiiers, and no modern information. The gear was antiquated, and I got weird looks at every ski area I visited (including A-Basin!). I had a lift operator ask if I was really going to go down the mountain on those skinny long ski's. That book was pivotal in the development of Nordic downhill skiing, and I think because of it the world of telemarking exploded.

                        In the same way I can see this work by Kris taking on a life of its own. The instruction is clear, and easy to follow. For the first time their is a contemporary reference book for how to ride a mountain or trials unicycle. This could be the catalyst that gets more people taking on the challenge of one wheel adventures.

                        The sequencing seems reasonable. The tie in between mountain and trials skills is clear. The reference in the mountain section to the trials skills is important to redirect people who skipped ahead to what they were really interested in. All in all it is very thoughtful.

                        I would like to see illustrations that show more specifics, like pedal placement for different techniques. While the text is easy to follow, and the photo's are exceptional, sometimes it is easier to see the important details in an illustration rather than in text, or photo's.

                        Distribution is also going to be key if this is going to take it's place alongside books like "Free Heel Skiing." I bought my copy of the first edition of that book at a climbing shop that didn't even sell ski's. It was on the rack with other mountaineering books. At the time I was happy to get any info I could about telemarking (no internet yet). I didn't think twice about buying it. I think getting this book into more varied outlets would do a lot for getting people on one wheel.

                        I personally like ebooks. I have been reading the MOBI version. It works well in general, but some of the formatting is a bit off. The active table of contents is nice. My suggestion is to go through the E versions an make sure that the captions for the photo's are on the same page as the photo they refer to. I haven't looked at other E versions yet, so this is directly related to the Kindle version.
                        Thanks for the kind words and it's an honour to be compared to Paul's book. I've telemarked for as long as I've ridden a unicycle and there are a lot of parallels between the sports. In this case, the inspiration for the book came from John Long's How To Rock Climb, and John provided some great mentorship (plus the forward) during the writing.

                        Re layout: a huge amount of effort (and around $9000 of book designer expense) went into the print book design, to make sure that the appropriate photos showing techniques discussed in the text were on the same page. It's hard to do and it took a long time. Hence why I wanted the book to be printed on good quality paper after all that work. There were 1500 books printed in the first run. The comment on illustrations is well taken. It was just too much to do that plus the photos, so I focused on finding good photos tailored to the techniques described in the text.

                        In the e-book, it's tough to duplicate the print book design because the text flows from one page to another, depending on the selected size of print and size of the device used to read the book. It's also not possible to do some things you can do in print, such as a layout extending across two pages. There is such a thing as a fixed-format epub, but it's an expensive book design and doesn't work on all devices.

                        Kris
                        Last edited by danger_uni; 2014-01-08, 06:12 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by danger_uni View Post
                          Thanks for pointing that out!
                          Because of the smaller market, it's tough to do a special print run for just North America, while Europe still has copies.
                          still in stock NA at compulsion cycles, that's where I got mine. quick delivery!

                          http://www.compulsioncycles.com/KH-E...he%20essential

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Kris,

                            I should take a look at how the ebook reads on other devices. I have read hundreds of ebooks, and rarely run into formatting problems like the ones I see in this book. The problems aren't pervasive, but a little off putting when they do show up. It sounds like some of the formatting that I'm seeing could be due to the relatively recent development of ebooks. I would guess that auto-formatting will only get better in time. And, to be honest, not that much time.

                            The content is excellent, and the writing is clear with good voice and flow. I hope that just reading it will make me a better rider (of course I know that's wishful thinking).

                            I am thankful for the book, and I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation (even with the occasional layout problems).
                            "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Anyone know if i can find the picture of max schulze on pages 112 and 113 online? I would love to have it as my background.
                              My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

                              Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                What font?

                                What font is used in the book? its really nice!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X