No announcement yet.

California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 2013 -- Oct. 11-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We went up this weekend to scout out some of the main venue trails, and man, they are awesome. Discovered a new trail with rock slabs and drops that's definitely going on the ride plan.

Note for intermediate riders: If there is interest, we're looking at putting together B-level rides for people who don't want to play in rock gardens all day, or even for people who want to ride 29ers/36ers. These parks have the flexibility to do such things. Let us know if you think that's worth putting together.

We talked to the park ranger, they're going to have an outdoor cook area available for those who are camping at the park. And we found an awesome Mexican market and taqueria down the street. It's gonna be a blast!

Last edited by tholub; 2013-09-23, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Here are the routes for Friday's ride. The main ride will have two loops, climbing on Totally Doable trails with some uphill challenges, then heading down on sweet rock gardeny switchbacks. It's cool doing two loops in this park because the opposite sides of the canyon have totally different trails; the south is oak woodland with baby heads, the north is manzanita chaparral with rock slabs.

There is also an option for people who want a smoother ride; after a climb up the Upper Skyline Trail, there's a lot of smooth, sweet singletrack. Ideal for newer riders or people who want to bring a big wheel.

Last edited by tholub; 2013-09-25, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I don't think I can make it to this one. I'm bummed. Those trails look really good and a beer tasting would be right up my alley.

Comment

Info is up for the Rockville Hills ride. Rockville was featured in CA MUni Weekend way back in 2003 (my first one!) and it remains a top-notch MUni destination, our favorite in the extended Bay Area. It's a MUni playground, with incredibly techy rock gardens (some with overhanging manzanita for a 3-D challenge), rock slabs, drops, roots, caves, cliffs; everything you could want! None of the trails is that long but we routinely spend five or six hours playing around out there. And there are good options for people who just want to roll, or bring a big wheel.

Last edited by tholub; 2013-09-28, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lobbybopster View Post
            The biggest bummer, I will be in Hawaii at the Ironman the very same day's!
            Such a bummer, you have to be in Hawaii.
            My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

Comment

Rockville is only about 1 square mile, but apparently packs some nice variety in such a small area.
              I might have to hit it up this weekend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1CXpO0duu0"]Mountain Biking Rockville Hills - YouTube[/ame]
              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-09-30, 03:05 AM.
              Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
              Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
              -Dani Buron

Website
              Videos
              Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                Rockville is only about 1 square mile, but apparently packs some nice variety in such a small area.
                I might have to hit it up this weekend.
                Even better, hit it up October 12th when it's the featured ride on CA MUni Weekend! (We're doing some of the stuff in the above video, but the two most technical trails we're doing are rarely ridden by bikers and don't appear above).

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                  Yeah, c'mon up on the 12th and ride with some more people! Rockville uses some sort of geography-twisting magic to make a small park feel really huge. It's very easy to get lost in there due to the way things curve around on themselves. I highly recommend this park, which literally does have terrain for all riding levels.

If you drive up Friday, you can do Rockville on Saturday and Annandel on Sunday, with enough time to drive back home. I might have to do something similar, as I might not be able to make the Friday ride...
                  John Foss
                  www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Last scouting ride this weekend, and man, was it fun! We rode two trails we hadn't done before, both excellent, and I really love finishing up with the Cobblestone Trail; downhill, technical riding with switchbacks. It'll be a great way to finish the riding (followed up by finishing the weekend with a pool party around the corner!)

Online registration is just $10; in-person registration is $20. Registration closes in just a week, so get signed up now!

Chris is not impressed by Tom Holub, on Flickr

Comment

If that's where I think it is in Annadel, there are a lot of rocks close by that I think would be good for some natural trials at kind of an intermediate level, unless you do some big gaps.

There are some more knarly lines on the edge of the trail on North Burma, although the trial itself is milder.

One of my favorite trails is the Cobblestone, Orchard loop (4.2 mi). Personally I like the trail along Channel Dr. and then up North and South Burma to the top of the hill where the picnic bench is and back a bit better (~6 mi). Lots of rocks to hop off of on the edges along the way.

Live Oak is nice too and a small knarly bit on Louis Trail. I've heard Two Quarry is technical but never been on it. Lots of random good bits in the adjacent Howarth Park (prob w/in 2 mi of paved paths of the Channel parking area)
                      Last edited by skilewis74; 2013-10-03, 03:37 AM.
                      Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What's next?
                      Learn2Ride&doTricks
                      TrialsClasses&Building

Comment

Originally posted by skilewis74 View Post
                        If that's where I think it is in Annadel, there are a lot of rocks close by that I think would be good for some natural trials at kind of an intermediate level, unless you do some big gaps.

There are some more knarly lines on the edge of the trail on North Burma, although the trial itself is milder.

One of my favorite trails is the Cobblestone, Orchard loop (4.2 mi). Personally I like the trail along Channel Dr. and then up North and South Burma to the top of the hill where the picnic bench is and back a bit better (~6 mi). Lots of rocks to hop off of on the edges along the way.

Live Oak is nice too and a small knarly bit on Louis Trail. I've heard Two Quarry is technical but never been on it. Lots of random good bits in the adjacent Howarth Park (prob w/in 2 mi of paved paths of the Channel parking area)
                        Thanks, Lewis, you gonna make it out?

Comment

Maybe w/ the training wheel, still working on ankle flexibility to fit in new braces (every time I think I'm getting close I add 6 mo to my estimate ). If I do, a MTB friend might come along.
                          Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What's next?
                          Learn2Ride&doTricks
                          TrialsClasses&Building

Comment

Originally posted by skilewis74 View Post
                            Maybe w/ the training wheel, still working on ankle flexibility to fit in new braces (every time I think I'm getting close I add 6 mo to my estimate ). If I do, a MTB friend might come along.
                            That'd be cool, the more the merrier.

Comment

Since we would be on 2 whls would the both of us need to register & pay the $10? That would cover any/all three days right?
                              Last edited by skilewis74; 2013-10-04, 02:43 PM.

What's next?
                              Learn2Ride&doTricks
                              TrialsClasses&Building

Comment

Looks like such a beautiful variety of trails. I'm trying to get all my job commitments either done in time or postpone some of them until after the event. I was also planning another century charity ride on the same weekend but I can reschedule that. Also would need to arrange for someone to watch Morty for me as I don't want to board him. That is usually the biggest obstacle that keeps me from attending most out-of-town events. I do appreciate all the hard work and dedication put into organizing this event!
                                Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                                Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                                -Dani Buron

Website
                                Videos
                                Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X