plus size rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plus size rider

Hi everyone! I have decided to take the plunge and get a unicycle. I had tried riding one before but it didn't turn out well. I had gotten it from a yard sale for five dollars if that tells you anything.LOL So I am wanting to get one that I could actually learn on but I am not sure which one to get since I am plus sized. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

What you should get really depends on what you mean by plus sized.

Comment

plus sized as in 300lbs. Is there any use in even trying?

Comment

Originally posted by jbeach View Post
        Don't let your weight stop you. Sure you can do it. It really depends on how badly you want to learn how to ride a unicycle. I would probably start with a Torker LX 26". If I didn't have someone to instruct me or give me advice, then I would also buy this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Unicycle-Course-Gregg-Vivolo/dp/1598723162"]Ride the Unicycle - a Crash Course!: Gregg Vivolo: 9781598723168: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Good luck! And get on that unicycle everyday until you learn how. Don't give up!!! That is the biggest fault of most riders...they just give up. It is all about tenacity!

Comment

On the contrary, this seems like a great reason to try.

Comment

Thanks. I am just worried about the tire being able to support the weight.

Comment

Tires make the world go round. 4 of em at only 15 PSI can hold your multi-ton vehicle up, so you'll be fine. Be ready to spend a bit more though to get something a bit stronger. A nimbus II or maybe even nimbus Muni would be pretty good I think.
              "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

Comment

Thanks. I am just worried about the tire being able to support the weight.
                A quick search shows the Torker DX 24" is a good candidate for big guys.

Torker DX webpage

It can be had on Unicycle.com, but it's also available on eBay for about $60 less.

This is from the FAQ page on Unicycle.com:

Q: Which unicycles are able to carry a person who weighs over 300lbs?
                A: For people weighing anywhere from 225 and above, we recommend the ISIS splined cycles (such as the new Nimbus, Kris Holm, or Onza cycles), or at the very least a regular splined cycle (such as the Torker DX).
                Last edited by Lloyd Braun; 2013-06-02, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
                  A: For people weighing anywhere from 225 and above, we recommend the ISIS splined cycles (such as the new Nimbus, Kris Holm, or Onza cycles), or at the very least a regular splined cycle (such as the Torker DX).
                  The Toker website says the DX uses ISIS, so I'm not sure if that FAQ page is outdated.

Comment

You should probably get a trials or a muni. Check out these pages, pretty much everything here should be tough enough for you. Really your weight shouldn't be a problem as long as you get a strong enough unicycle.
                    http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle
                    http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/trials

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
                      A quick search shows the Torker DX 24" is a good candidate for big guys.

Torker DX webpage

It can be had on Unicycle.com, but it's also available on eBay for about $60 less.

This is from the FAQ page on Unicycle.com:

Good call, Lloyd!

Comment

Originally posted by lloyd braun View Post
                        on the contrary, this seems like a great reason to try.
                        +1

Comment

My 180' pound brother can drop 6' off a set of bleachers on a Nimbus trials... i am pretty sure you will do fine on any mid-high end unicycle. ISIS hub and cranks would be ideal for strength and make it easier for upgrades laters.

Please note that unicycling is a demanding sport and the following risk should be noted-

-This will change your life
                          -You will lose weight
                          -You may live longer
                          -You will become addicted...
                          My Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkbs...?feature=guide

Comment

The Torker DX 24 is a little more than 60bucks,dunno if you were just talking hubs tho.Cool uni.
                            http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Comment

Why not try to ID the OP's yard-sale score before

advising another purchase?

Comment

Working...
                              X