Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nimbus Oracle 24" or Kris Holm 24" MUni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skilewis74
    replied
    IMO if you think you might want to put in a geared hub in the future, KH.
    If not toss up between Oracle & Qu-Ax Series.

Leave a comment:

• OneWheelLess
    replied
    Interesting read,
    I like the asthetics of a nice round crown frame, but I can't recall the kh frame ever catching on me like the nimbus frames. With a 24" I felt I was riding my trials uni down the trail. I was so hyped on my 29" when I got it that it became my everyday trail ride. After that the 26" felt super nimble. If I could d ok another build now it would be a light 26" with a round crown frame
    For me a light thin seat is better whatever the riding style. I happily traded my fusion free ride for a nimbus street. Big improvement. For the individual I traded with things were opposite. I like Kris's disc system, I never liked offset hubs, the standard hub should allow for a stronger wheel build. the dual hole cranks are awesome and the integrated disc mounts are awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Rubberduck
    replied
    I would recommend the QU-AX. I learnd riding on my wifes KH Muni. Then I got the QU-AX.

What shall I say, the KH is of course o very good brand, strong and lasts forever. But the QU-AX is much more sexy! The disc brake is positioned as a disc brake has to be, means on the inside of the frame (unlike KH) and directly mounted on the frame (unlike Nimbus).

So in my point of view you should the QU-AX take into account too.

Leave a comment:

• matthaverly
    replied
    Oracle 24 and KH24 rim characteristics

Originally posted by skilewis74 View Post
    Jacob - yeah I've heard that some feel the KH isn't as strong as the D2.

A wider rim is supposed to be more stable on side hops and tire less likely to fold over (I don't hop). It would give the tire a flatter profile, making the wheel a bit less twitchy, less likely to pinch flat & it dampens the bumps out.

Maybe there's a point when these benefits are negligible (after testing Kris felt a 50mm rim wasn't worth it, but some prefer a 65mm LM) or not worth the weight/strength but I'd definitely like a lot more width than my 38 mm rim (from experience on other unis I much prefer rim width over tire).
    I can see pros and cons to both rims when comparing the rim of the KH24 to the rim of the Oracle 24. I think the characteristics of the KH rim is perfect for rigorous trials and side-hops. Light, strong, does not want to tire-roll or pinch flat.

One thing I noticed with the Oracle 24 rim and tire was that the bounce characteristic. Bounce can really effect how light a uni feels. Not talking about for enormous gaps, but for just correctional/positional hops - the bounce feels really controlled and smooth, and requires little effort. Some might say the wheel is more "twitchy" but in my opinion the turning characteristic is nice with the narrower rim. I am a larger rider so I rarely do side hops, as it seems that in order for me to have a tire that does not feel like it is full of cement, I have very little margin for potential tire roll (ride at about 30psi).

I have never done anything to either a KH rim or an Oracle rim that caused it to become untrue so I can't really comment on the strength. The drops I do are typically not more than 4 feet high and the landing is usually sloped. No troubles on either rim and I am 220 pound guy.

Both rims are great. I've owned 24 inch munis with both rims, and presently have Oracle 24 and a KH26 munis.

Leave a comment:

• skilewis74
    replied
    Jacob - yeah I've heard that some feel the KH isn't as strong as the D2.

A wider rim is supposed to be more stable on side hops and tire less likely to fold over (I don't hop). It would give the tire a flatter profile, making the wheel a bit less twitchy, less likely to pinch flat & it dampens the bumps out.

Maybe there's a point when these benefits are negligible (after testing Kris felt a 50mm rim wasn't worth it, but some prefer a 65mm LM) or not worth the weight/strength but I'd definitely like a lot more width than my 38 mm rim (from experience on other unis I much prefer rim width over tire).

Leave a comment:

• UnicycleSam123
    replied
    Thank you

Thank you for all the advice. I decided to get the Nimbus Oracle I ordered it yesterday so hopefully it will be hear on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Jacob Young
    replied
    Originally posted by skilewis74 View Post
    It's a toss up IMO
    KH has a wider rim (47mm), can add a disk break (or rim if u already have it), and its compatible for upgrading to a geared hub. Slightly more likely to hit knees on from w/ side hops (I've never hit mine), comes w/ a more comfortable seat & adjustable post.

Oracle - a narrower rim (42mm) comes w/ internal disk so less $ & less damage prone (I've heard of no probs w/ KH's external disk though).

Qu-Ax ~ frame to KH, internal brake, norrowish rim (40mm), 48 spokes so prob a stronger wheel but most think it's overkill.

My personal choise - Oracle w/ KH rim & saddle.
    TBH the KH rim isn't all it's cracked up to be. Rim width doesn't reall make that much difference and the KH rim is, well, 'floppy' compared to the D2 on the Oracle. It is pretty cool looking though but so is the milled D2.

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    If ordering from UDC, you can specify a KH seat for some extra dough, and they'll mount it for you. But yeah, you can swap seats till your hearts content, it's pretty easy to do.

As far as brake rotors are concerned, I think the general concensus is that outboard rotors like on the KH are 'more likely' to bend from being hit by a rock or something, but the actual chance of that happening is nil. I con't recall hearing of any issues with that.

Seat choice is personal and only you can decide which one is best. I got a Freeride because that's what a lot of people used for Muni, but when I rode the Street on my 36er, I wish I'da gotten a Street for my Muni to begin with (if that made sense). But if you flatten your seat, no matter what you have, it'll be better and more comfortable... Just sayin'.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Shmolagin
    replied
    The easiest way to add a disk break to the KH it would be on the outside of the frame. The KH comes with spirit cranks which have points to attach a disk break to. The KH frame has mounts welded on for the rest of the break. For more info on disk breaks inside versus outside the frame check out this thread
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93594

The nimbus and KH saddles use the same seat base, so as far as I know you should be just fine putting a KH saddle on an oracle.

Leave a comment:

• UnicycleSam123
    replied
    Thank you

Thank you all for the advice it has helped allot.

I have jut a few questions regarding the brake and the seat.

On the oracle the disk of the brake is mounted inside the frame and it is attached via the bearing holder.
    If i where to mount a brake on the Kris Holm would the disk go inside or outside of the frame and where would it attach?

And if it where to be mounted outside of the frame dose this mean your leg caches on it and is it more likely to bend/break if i fell off and it hit something?

also people have mentioned the seat. if i got the oracle would i be able to detach the break from the oracle seat and attach it to the other seat? also would the Kris Holm freeride seat be the best one?

Thank you,

Sam

Leave a comment:

• skilewis74
    replied
    It's a toss up IMO
    KH has a wider rim (47mm), can add a disk break (or rim if u already have it), and its compatible for upgrading to a geared hub. Slightly more likely to hit knees on from w/ side hops (I've never hit mine), comes w/ a more comfortable seat & adjustable post.

Oracle - a narrower rim (42mm) comes w/ internal disk so less $ & less damage prone (I've heard of no probs w/ KH's external disk though).

Qu-Ax ~ frame to KH, internal brake, norrowish rim (40mm), 48 spokes so prob a stronger wheel but most think it's overkill.

My personal choise - Oracle w/ KH rim & saddle.

Leave a comment:

• Jacob Young
    replied
    Originally posted by muni ben View Post
    Don't forget the QX Disc muni, it has the advantage of an inboard disc system with mounts welded to the frame.
    Come on though, it's a Qu-Ax...

All jokes aside, I'd go for the Nimbus. Apart from components, there's no point getting KH gear anymore.

Leave a comment:

• nickjb
    replied
    I wouldn't buy another kh. I've had far too many kh branded parts fail now. That said I've also snapped a few nimbus bits but they were much cheaper so it was less irksome.

I'm a fan of brakes for muni. If you want them too then you'll need to factor in the extra costs if you want to add a magura or disk to the kh. The extra parts soon add up.

Leave a comment:

• muni ben
    replied
    Don't forget the QX Disc muni, it has the advantage of an inboard disc system with mounts welded to the frame.

Leave a comment:

• muni123
    replied
    The KH also has a D-brake mount on the frame. A big plus in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X