Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nimbus Oracle 24" or Kris Holm 24" MUni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimbus Oracle 24" or Kris Holm 24" MUni?

Hi I have been riding MUni for a few months now. I have a Nimbus 26" muni, it is really good for the longer trails as I can ride it for a long time without stopping but on the more technical trails I have found the bigger wheel offers less maneuverability and it is also heavier and harder to hop. Because of this i am thinking of buying a 24" MUni, the two that look most appealing are the 24" Nimbus Oracle with disk brake and the Kris Holm 24"

At the moment I am leaning towards the Nimbus Oracle because it has a disk brake.

I was wondering if anyone who owns or has ridden either of them could advise me which to get.

Thank you,

Sam

Source for the images - http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/muni-24-29.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by UnicycleSam123; 2013-05-31, 03:42 PM.
    KH Longneck trials 19"
    Nimbus oracle 24"
    Nimbus Muni 26"

My Twitter - https://twitter.com/unicyclesam123

My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPbe...?feature=watch

I'd say go for the nimbus if you really want a brake, otherwise go for the KH.
    My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

Comment

I'm a bit curious as to the weight difference. I have a nimbus 26 and that is one heavy beast when compared to my wife's KH24. I understand that the frame on the oracle is aluminum so I figure the oracle series is fairly equivalent to the KH in terms of weight?
      I'm different, yeah I'm different. I'm different, yeah I'm different. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by muni123 View Post
        I'd say go for the nimbus if you really want a brake, otherwise go for the KH.
        ditto.
        Wichtig ist nur:
        "Beim Auffallen nicht Umfallen,
        beim Umfallen nicht Auffallen."

Qu-Ax Luxus 20"
        Qu-Ax Luxus 24"
        Qu-Ax/Nimbus 26" Muni
        KH 36" Muni

Comment

Before you buy a new uni, have you tried a different tire? The Nimbus muni comes with a heavy 3" tire. I think if you get something like a Maxxis Ardent, which is almost half the weight, you'll feel a big difference in the way the uni rides.

Comment

True, but if you are more focused on technical riding, it's the duro for the win.

Comment

I had a Nimbus 26 and sold it for a Kris Holms 26, there is a big difference, go with the Kris Holms, you won't look back ever. Weight difference is about 5 or 6 lbs, also go with a 2.5 tire. Kris Holms has a brake option. I like the brake better. Thats my 2 cents worth. I just got off the trail, on a 2 hour ride, and what a joy the KH muni is.

Comment

I'd take the oracle, but then I'm a round crown kinda guy...

FWIW, from looking at UDC UK's specs, both of those uni's come with a Duro, and the Oracle is actually lighter at 6.7kg, as opposed to the KH at 6.9kg.
                Last edited by Killian; 2013-05-31, 05:05 PM.
                "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

Comment

I have not ridden a 24 kh, however I received a 24 oracle a little over a week ago and I am having an absolute blast with it in our local technical trails. I've had no issue with it at all.

Andre

Comment

Originally posted by billtheturner View Post
                    I had a Nimbus 26 and sold it for a Kris Holms 26, there is a big difference, go with the Kris Holms, you won't look back ever. Weight difference is about 5 or 6 lbs
                    That accurately describes most non-oracle nimbus models. The non-oracle models have steel frames and run $350USD. The oracle nimbus models use aluminum frames and run about $650USD. I've heard the oracles are as light as their KH counterparts.
                    I'm different, yeah I'm different. I'm different, yeah I'm different. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing.

Comment

I prefer the KH 24.

corbin
                      http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
                      maestro8 fan club
                      Justin LE fan club

Comment

Well, I think if you want to go for the more tried and true brand that would be Kris Holm. I really like the KH crown, as you can put your feet on it nicely, but if you are using it for muni that isn't needed. I would go for the Kris Holm and if you really want a brake you could add one later. The Kris Holm also comes with a more expensive saddle and better cranks.

Comment

The KH also has a D-brake mount on the frame. A big plus in my opinion.

Comment

Don't forget the QX Disc muni, it has the advantage of an inboard disc system with mounts welded to the frame.
                            My videos!

Comment

I wouldn't buy another kh. I've had far too many kh branded parts fail now. That said I've also snapped a few nimbus bits but they were much cheaper so it was less irksome.

I'm a fan of brakes for muni. If you want them too then you'll need to factor in the extra costs if you want to add a magura or disk to the kh. The extra parts soon add up.
                              Severn Wheelers. Bristol's best (and only) unicycle hockey club
                              Wednesdays, 8:30. All welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X