Finally got started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got started...

After an unrelated injury I finally got started learning today in my local park.
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/unilateral/8728606040/"]Learning to Unicycle | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
    They have a nice long stretch of concrete path alongside a chain link fence.
    Probably only managed 10 minutes but rode up and down generally gripping the fence. Falling off forward decidedly trickier than falling backwards I find.
    Really excited to finally have started learning.

UL

Edit: not sure how to get hte image link working correctly...links OK but doesn't display image.
    Last edited by Uni Lateral; 2013-05-11, 11:44 AM.
    UL
    Uni Lateral on Flickr
    My learning journal

Cute doggy! Keep at the unicycling. My roommate has an overactive husky and uni has proven a pretty great way to tire her out. Plus, who doesn't love a guy on a unicycle walking a Snow White husky? . Although that dog doesn't look like he's quite as hyperactive as the husky!
    -Jonathon (Jon) Korhonen

Can you do a wheelie?

Comment

Cool,bet its nice to have a non-judgemental buddy w/ you!
      I picked up a uni yesterday just like yours for $20.I can tell its easier for me than my CX24.
      I got one full rotation w/o holding anything first try,my 24 I can get about 1/2 and I've tried it a few times.
      Still havent really put any real time in,maybe 15mins,have had so much going on w/ my motorcycle I havent had time.

Goodluck and keep us posted on your progress,it inspires!

Comment

Day 2...

Day 2 - managed a longer session today but still probably only 20 minutes in the saddle (it's remarkably tiring or I'm remarkably unfit...let me think). I've been using the mounting technique of basically having the leading foot/pedal at the 6 o'clock position and simply leaning up into the upright position to end up on the Uni. The down side to this is obviously I'm not best placed to apply forward motion and, quite often, I find I twist as I mount. Neither of these things are a problem as I'm holding onto something but it did prompt me to start attempting the technique that will eventually become free mounting with the foot/pedal initially in the 8 o'clock position and trying to step over the Uni to plan the other foot on the leading pedal. The down side to this is I tend to go straight over the balance point and off the front as I'm not immediately peddling away...I may park this approach for a bit!
        Managed some vaguely fluid forward motion getting a forward lean and bouncing my hand along the fence (occasionally grabbing frantically). Sometimes getting a whole revolution without holding on. I'm trying to be bold, keep my weight in the seat, lean forward and go for it. I can almost feel what it should feel like...for about half a revolution and then my brain says, Oi...are you mad, and gravity takes over.
        Oscar (the black Lab) spent the whole session planting his tennis ball in front of me where it would most likely to cause an accident. Cheers buddy.

UL
        UL
        Uni Lateral on Flickr
        My learning journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uni Lateral View Post
          After an unrelated injury I finally got started learning today in my local park.
          Learning to Unicycle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
          They have a nice long stretch of concrete path alongside a chain link fence.
          Probably only managed 10 minutes but rode up and down generally gripping the fence. Falling off forward decidedly trickier than falling backwards I find.
          Really excited to finally have started learning.

UL

Edit: not sure how to get hte image link working correctly...links OK but doesn't display image.

Falling backwards off your unicycle is dangerous and should be avoided especially when you move away from the fence. Falling forward is safer because you can reach out your hands to break your fall. You don't want to fall on the back of your head.Wrist guards are a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer unibokk...I'd read a lot of comments on here about the dangers of going off backwards. Today's session had far more forward dismounts probably due to me being bolder and leaning forward more.

Bonefrost, look forward to seeing your progress. It's great to read others experiences, progress and disasters to know you're only going through what everyone else goes through trying to pick up a new skill.

UL
            UL
            Uni Lateral on Flickr
            My learning journal

Comment

Day 3

Had a few days where I haven't been able to get out and practice so I ignored the rain showers after work today and got back to my chain link fence for some more time in the saddle.
              I've reverted back to mounting as if I'm doing a free mount because mounting the easy way with a foot at 6 o'clock just leaves the feet in the wrong position. I do spend a lot of time going straight over the top but c'est la vie.
              Got some longer runs going while bouncing the hand along the fence and am starting to notice an inconsistency in my peddling probably brought on by fear. I start peddling and, feeling the wheel coming under me start leaning forward more. This then feels like I'm falling so I peddle faster which brings the wheel back under me but then I'm tipping backwards so I slow the peddling and lean forward. Then I feel like I'm falling...yadda, yadda, yadda. I think maybe if I could smooth out the peddling it would take some of the exaggeration out of my movements.
              Anyway, had 20 minutes in the saddle and was starting to get a revolution or (slightly) more while unsupported. When I reached the end of the fence I just kept going and although I didn't get far, I've come away with quite a buzz

I'm finding the mental approach to uni cycling being a combination of stubbornness and fearlessness. G
              Just go for it, pick yourself up and go for it again...

Going from my 4x4 to my 1x1...

UL
              UL
              Uni Lateral on Flickr
              My learning journal

Comment

Got some longer runs going while bouncing the hand along the fence and am starting to notice an inconsistency in my peddling probably brought on by fear. I start peddling and, feeling the wheel coming under me start leaning forward more. This then feels like I'm falling so I peddle faster which brings the wheel back under me but then I'm tipping backwards so I slow the peddling and lean forward. Then I feel like I'm falling...yadda, yadda, yadda. I think maybe if I could smooth out the peddling it would take some of the exaggeration out of my movements.
                This is normal. In fact it is a good sign that you can feel it happening and adjust your pedaling. It will get much less pronounced with practice. Eventually it will become completely automatic. When you're out riding around you won't have to think about forward/backward balance at all. Your legs will just handle it.

Comment

Day 4

Short update today as I'm doing this from my phone.
                  My last few sessions have been ridden wearing long trousers and shin/knee guards over the top. I've realised that this is a bit impractical as the guards clamp your trousers to your legs and you can't bend your knees the first time you get in the saddle! Went and bought running/cycling shorts after work then went for a 25 minute session on the Unicycle. How is one supposed to keep ones nabbers from being crushed I wonder? I wish I could find underwear that kept things out of the way. Difficult to make adjustments too with something akin to welding gloves on
                  Anyway, I'm persevering. ..

UL
                  UL
                  Uni Lateral on Flickr
                  My learning journal

Comment

How is one supposed to keep ones nabbers from being crushed I wonder? I wish I could find underwear that kept things out of the way.
                    UL
                    Wear tight nylon-type cycling shorts pulled up tight and high (don't need to be padded). They hold everything up out of the way. Another advantage is that they slip against your ordinary jeans or shorts and prevent bad bruising to the thighs.

Comment

There is a way of discretely scooping everything forward as you sit down. It's even more incentive to sit down on the seat instead of standing up on the pedals. When you are seated, everything stays where it should be..

Let me get out the instructive diagram. This goes way back.
                      Attached Files

Comment

LOL...if only you could patent those special pants
                        My new cycling type shorts are, indeed, a vast improvement over my jeans. Trouble is I'm up and down like a whore's drawers in and out of the saddle so is a bit of a challenge to keep the old Crown jewels out of harms way.

UL
                        UL
                        Uni Lateral on Flickr
                        My learning journal

Comment

Day 5

Been out this morning for a 15 minute session and will try another later to maximise my time in the saddle. Felt a little less confident today but other than that I'm finding it easier to mount and just get going.
                          Here's a little clip of how I'm doing along with Oscar who's there for moral support...a bit of a lazy dismount at the end...I've been trying to go off the front on safety grounds.
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjrjsH36-s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjrjsH36-s[/ame]

Posting that to YouTube made me look at a few other people's "Day Fives"...bless all the people who are still falling on their arses and damn you clever sods who are cycling rings around your neighbourhood already

UL
                          UL
                          Uni Lateral on Flickr
                          My learning journal

Comment

Cool mate!Your getting it.
                            The 5mins I rode in my kitchen I could totally feel the balance point.What I was concentrating on was leaning forward and trying to get my side to side balance like a bicycle.
                            May try tonight,need to find a fence or wall thats close.Saw a 3pt "how to" on youtube lastnight and the dude was using a truck/suv to hold onto and kinda ride around,change direction and do it again.Great idea,just dont think Mom's would be to happy if my uni went flying into her PT Cruiser.

I need to get used to falling forward,I'm used to pitching something far enough ahead when I go off the back that I dont land on it if I tumble.Goes back to the skate days pitching the board when you bailed.

Comment

Bonefrost...get out there a do it dude
                              It took me a while to find a suitable local spot to practice...it's quite public so I do get a lot of spectators but all of htem are very encouraging.

Got back out there again today to get some more hours in the seat. I'm starting to get much more regular/fluid on the peddling which is allowing me to go much farther without falling. Still very much glued to my chain link fence but starting to grab it a little less. I felt very positive about this until I realised I'm still bouncing my hand off the fence once per revolution of the pedals lol.
                              Worked on the fear a bit by occasionally peddling away from the fence. Obviously only got a single rotation before UPD'ing but it helps to know you can do it and survive.
                              I became aware that I'm basically looking down at my feet and suddenly remembered someone mentioning that you should look ahead so have started looking forward like I would if I were riding a bike or driving. Bit disconcerting at first but hopefully it'll refocus my attention away from falling.

UL
                              UL
                              Uni Lateral on Flickr
                              My learning journal

Comment

Working...
                              X