Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    If you have a big, strong friend, you could hold onto their shoulder while they walked beside you. Terry, in his Today Show video, uses that method to help the host learn to ride (around 2:40). https://www.today.com/video/64-year-...on-79400517801 Anyway, that'd get you over the first pedal stroke.

Leave a comment:

• slamdance
    replied
    Come on guys. Let's give him some real advice:
    1.) Use your hips to buck the unicycle forward. (Can anybody out there do a one foot idle? It's all hip action!)
    2.) Stay on the rail. The "let go of the rails, swing arms like madman" technique not working for him. You are not ready, so stick with a wall, fence or rails.
    3.) What's wrong with your top foot? You are obviously "frozen" and hanging onto your balance for dear life. Time to force your mind to multi-tasking: hanging on, low pedal, high pedal, squeeze thigh on saddle, rock the hips...etc.
    b.) Once, you "get going" you must learn how to maintain "back pressure" with the non-powering pedal. You'll have no problem learning the hard way. The unicycle will shoot forward, or get slapped by the pedal.

Keep on...

Leave a comment:

• BHChieftain
    replied
    Another idea-- do you have a driveway with a *slight* decline? That should help get thru it,

Chief

Leave a comment:

• scotty watty
    replied
    Thanks Quax1974...glad i stumbled on this thread....got lucky..

Leave a comment:

• Quax1974
    replied
    Well Scotty, the help is already available in this thread.

Donít push your feet all the way down.
    Reduce the force as soon as youíre past horizontal.

I know: Easier said than done.
    But it will develop over time.

PS:
    Been there, done that

Leave a comment:

• scotty watty
    replied
    This post is so me.....new to unicycling...i am geting stuck on the first half pedal stroke as well...glad i am not the only one... help Mr Wizard.. lol

Leave a comment:

• maestro8
    replied
    Originally posted by darkarcher1690 View Post
    Its like my leg is still moving but the pedal just doesnt rotate back up.
    The pedals move in a circle. Are you moving your feet in a circle, or do you simply step down on the pedal?

When your pedal is at the bottom, you should be pulling that foot back, since that's the direction the pedal should be going.

could it be I need to relax my legs more and put more weight on the seat?
    Yes. Always.

I feel like I have no leverage to get the uni moving and the pedals are too far behind me.
    You don't need leverage. You need smooth, fluid strokes of the pedal. This takes time to develop.

Don't think about being strong. Think about being light, being tall, just dancing on the tops of the pedals, not mashing down on them...

Leave a comment:

• unibokk
    replied
    Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
    This from a guy who always says "Que?" Well Manuel, the reason is because it's true. Rather than have us all write the same information again, why not offer someone to browse the wealth of information that's already written? It's there to read now, rather than waiting for us to write it all again. With comments, and even with people many years ago saying the same thing you did.

The rules don't change for a bigger wheel, really. Actually, short cranks on a bigger wheel should make it easier to get past the dead spot, but also "messier" as the wheel makes larger oscillations when it's not doing what you want.

Hello John, let's look at it another way. If you had to loosen a tight nut, which would you choose? A wrench with a long handle or a wrench with a short handle. I think you would choose the wrench with the long handle.Once you've achieved the initial stiff turn you might choose to continue with the wrench with the shorter handle.But that initial turn would require the torque/leverage that the longer handle provides.Now let's apply this principle to cranks.The long cranks give more leverage for that initial turn,helping you to get past the dead spot.Once you gain momentum however,the shorter cranks would require less rotational effort due to the shorter rotations. But it's that initial few turns that Archer is concerned about. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Originally posted by isitafox View Post
    Why is this the answer to almost any question on here??
    This from a guy who always says "Que?" Well Manuel, the reason is because it's true. Rather than have us all write the same information again, why not offer someone to browse the wealth of information that's already written? It's there to read now, rather than waiting for us to write it all again. With comments, and even with people many years ago saying the same thing you did.

The rules don't change for a bigger wheel, really. Actually, short cranks on a bigger wheel should make it easier to get past the dead spot, but also "messier" as the wheel makes larger oscillations when it's not doing what you want.

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    And perhaps I took it a bit hard. But my last post was in response to the others in this thread that seemed upset over my post as well.

Anyway, I'm done with this. All's well.

And here's 300.

Leave a comment:

• jtrops
    replied
    Originally posted by Killian View Post
    I'm just trying to get my post count up huh? That's funny.

My recommendation was a sincere one. Does the OP have to do that? NO! It's simply a suggestion. Instead of waiting for others to post about how this is normal and you just need to keep practicing, they could do a search, and perhaps find the answer right now. But if they decide they don't want to search (or perhaps they did and couldn't find any helpful threads) people still reply anyway. Just because someone comes along and says 'try a search' doesn't mean you have to.

This forum is great. I've learned more on here than I could have any other way. Have I started redundant threads on here? You bet. I'm usually told to do a search, and whaddya know, I find what I'm looking for. Most times though, I do try and search before hand.

Jtrops is right. Newcomers will have a hard time recognizing credible posters, so don't listen to me, cause I'm far from credible. Listen to John Foss, Terry the Unigeezer, Corbin, Leo, Mikefule, etc. Jtrops was extremely helpful in one of my recent threads as well, so I'd recommend listening to him too.

I'm trying to get my post count up? Yep, and here's one more. Maybe I should post again, and get to 300.

But please let me finish by saying that if any offense was taken by my recommendation of a search, I humbly apologize.
    Thanks for the kind words. Sarcasm is difficult to read on forums, so it's always a risk. I'm sorry if the humor wasn't well considered.

Leave a comment:

• Killian
    replied
    I'm just trying to get my post count up huh? That's funny. I'd go piss around in JC to do that.

My recommendation was a sincere one. Does the OP have to do that? NO! It's simply a suggestion. Instead of waiting for others to post about how this is normal and you just need to keep practicing, they could do a search, and perhaps find the answer right now. But if they decide they don't want to search (or perhaps they did and couldn't find any helpful threads) people still reply anyway. Just because someone comes along and says 'try a search' doesn't mean you have to.

This forum is great. I've learned more on here than I could have any other way. Have I started redundant threads on here? You bet. I'm usually told to do a search, and whaddya know, I find what I'm looking for. Most times though, I do try and search before hand.

Jtrops is right. Newcomers will have a hard time recognizing credible posters, so don't listen to me, cause I'm far from credible. Listen to John Foss, Terry the Unigeezer, Corbin, Leo, Mikefule, etc. Jtrops was extremely helpful in one of my recent threads as well, so I'd recommend listening to him too.

I'm trying to get my post count up? Yep, and here's one more. Maybe I should post again, and get to 300.

But please let me finish by saying that if any offense was taken by my recommendation of a search, I humbly apologize.
    Last edited by Killian; 2013-03-23, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• unibabyguy
    replied
    Originally posted by darkarcher1690 View Post
    Is this just the normal newbe issue? Also, how much weight do you keep on your legs vs the seat? could it be I need to relax my legs more and put more weight on the seat? I feel like I have no leverage to get the uni moving and the pedals are too far behind me. Could that be a posture issue or possible seat adjustment backward/forward? My height should be good, leg slightly bent at full extension.
    Try putting the least amount of pressure on the pedals that you can. Imagine that there are eggs strapped to the bottom of your feet, and you're trying to avoid crushing the eggs. That's about how little pressure you need in order to maintain control on flat smooth ground.

Try to find the smoothest flattest surface possible -- a gym floor would be ideal, if that's not possible then something like slab concrete with no cracks or undulations.

Leave a comment:

• jtrops
    replied
    Originally posted by isitafox View Post
    Why is this the answer to almost any question on here??
    The forum may as well be closed down and left for people to search back for any info they require.
    It's an easy way for people to get a boost in their post count, and give the impression that somehow help is being offered.

As a new member of the forum you may have a hard time recognizing credible posts, and so it may be helpful to pay attention to any advice John Foss puts forth.

And now my post count is up. Yay.

Leave a comment:

• bnolsen
    replied
    Getting "jammed" in the 6/12 position will continue to be a bane during your unicycle training. During mounting practice trying to get your foot on the pedal properly, then starting to peddle while trying to get settled down on the seat you'll get plenty of practice dealing with this. Just yesterday I had an awesome fall right onto both hand guards trying to curb mount onto a recently asphalted road. Threw the uni quite a ways behind me, too.

Just as suggested, definitely spend some time going up and down a wall or fence (rod iron if you can find one!). Absolutely get used to spinning around in place against the wall to change direction. Then you are ready for the fun part: trying to go straight by letting go of your support!

I actually like these guy's video. Don't expect the freemounting to just be a snap though, that's a long way away unless you are uber talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-31B_efyJ4

Leave a comment:

Working...
X