getting stuck at the first half pedal stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by isitafox View Post
    Why is this the answer to almost any question on here??
    This from a guy who always says "Que?" Well Manuel, the reason is because it's true. Rather than have us all write the same information again, why not offer someone to browse the wealth of information that's already written? It's there to read now, rather than waiting for us to write it all again. With comments, and even with people many years ago saying the same thing you did.

The rules don't change for a bigger wheel, really. Actually, short cranks on a bigger wheel should make it easier to get past the dead spot, but also "messier" as the wheel makes larger oscillations when it's not doing what you want.
    John Foss
    www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
      This from a guy who always says "Que?" Well Manuel, the reason is because it's true. Rather than have us all write the same information again, why not offer someone to browse the wealth of information that's already written? It's there to read now, rather than waiting for us to write it all again. With comments, and even with people many years ago saying the same thing you did.

The rules don't change for a bigger wheel, really. Actually, short cranks on a bigger wheel should make it easier to get past the dead spot, but also "messier" as the wheel makes larger oscillations when it's not doing what you want.

Hello John, let's look at it another way. If you had to loosen a tight nut, which would you choose? A wrench with a long handle or a wrench with a short handle. I think you would choose the wrench with the long handle.Once you've achieved the initial stiff turn you might choose to continue with the wrench with the shorter handle.But that initial turn would require the torque/leverage that the longer handle provides.Now let's apply this principle to cranks.The long cranks give more leverage for that initial turn,helping you to get past the dead spot.Once you gain momentum however,the shorter cranks would require less rotational effort due to the shorter rotations. But it's that initial few turns that Archer is concerned about. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by darkarcher1690 View Post
        Its like my leg is still moving but the pedal just doesnt rotate back up.
        The pedals move in a circle. Are you moving your feet in a circle, or do you simply step down on the pedal?

When your pedal is at the bottom, you should be pulling that foot back, since that's the direction the pedal should be going.

could it be I need to relax my legs more and put more weight on the seat?
        Yes. Always.

I feel like I have no leverage to get the uni moving and the pedals are too far behind me.
        You don't need leverage. You need smooth, fluid strokes of the pedal. This takes time to develop.

Don't think about being strong. Think about being light, being tall, just dancing on the tops of the pedals, not mashing down on them...
        "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

This post is so me.....new to unicycling...i am geting stuck on the first half pedal stroke as well...glad i am not the only one... help Mr Wizard.. lol

Comment

Well Scotty, the help is already available in this thread.

Donít push your feet all the way down.
            Reduce the force as soon as youíre past horizontal.

I know: Easier said than done.
            But it will develop over time.

PS:
            Been there, done that

Comment

Thanks Quax1974...glad i stumbled on this thread....got lucky..

Comment

Another idea-- do you have a driveway with a *slight* decline? That should help get thru it,

Chief

Comment

Come on guys. Let's give him some real advice:
                  1.) Use your hips to buck the unicycle forward. (Can anybody out there do a one foot idle? It's all hip action!)
                  2.) Stay on the rail. The "let go of the rails, swing arms like madman" technique not working for him. You are not ready, so stick with a wall, fence or rails.
                  3.) What's wrong with your top foot? You are obviously "frozen" and hanging onto your balance for dear life. Time to force your mind to multi-tasking: hanging on, low pedal, high pedal, squeeze thigh on saddle, rock the hips...etc.
                  b.) Once, you "get going" you must learn how to maintain "back pressure" with the non-powering pedal. You'll have no problem learning the hard way. The unicycle will shoot forward, or get slapped by the pedal.

Keep on...

Comment

If you have a big, strong friend, you could hold onto their shoulder while they walked beside you. Terry, in his Today Show video, uses that method to help the host learn to ride (around 2:40). https://www.today.com/video/64-year-...on-79400517801 Anyway, that'd get you over the first pedal stroke.

Comment

Working...
                    X