Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me pick a do all wheel size - new guy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Samstoney View Post
    Hi Archer - IMO the best single size is a 20 and a 29. Buy the 20 first; make sure it's a decent one because when it comes time to sell it (after you buy your KH 29er) you'll end up wanting to keep it because its so much easier to take on car trips, and its the right size to convince your best friend to ride. In hindsight you'll find that buying the 20 to learn on was the smartest thing you've ever done.

    Also, IMHO as a relatively new rider (18 mos) - don't try to learn on grass, it was way harder for me and I hear that's typically the case. I was riding a mile or two in a couple of months; it was several months before I could do a loop around d the local soccer field.

    Sam
    I would never sell my 20"

    Seriously, it's good to have a 20" for practicing skills like wheel walking, one-footed riding, hopping, all good skills which help you even if your main activity is road riding or muni. Being able to do these skills makes you a better more confident unicyclist.
    KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
    Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
    Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

    Comment


    • #17
      I didn't sell my learner 20", but I have given it away on long term loan. I bought a nice lightweight custom 19" to replace it with - I wouldn't have known what bits to buy before I started, and nor would I have wanted to splash that much cash. I don't regret for a minute buying a really cheap uni to learn on - if I had bought a more expensive, better quality 20" uni I would still have wanted to upgrade.

      So my recommendation to the OP is to get a nice cheap 20" (or maybe 24" - I understand they're not much harder to learn on), one which you won't mind losing the money on if you give it up. Unlike bikes, and various other sporting equipment, you really won't notice the difference with a cheap uni when you're just getting into it.
      Unicycling: great for your thighs.

      Comment


      • #18
        I will be keeping the 20" I learned on for two reasons.

        Firstly, I can teach other people to ride it and, secondly, it is perfect for riding round the park with my wife in her electric wheelchair

        I agree with it being great for practising new skills on too. Once I decide to try idling or riding backwards, I'll be back at the tennis courts with it.
        Connor "WheelieDaft" Caple - Charity Unicyclist

        PendleSide Hospice charitable donations page: http://www.justgiving.com/WheelieDaft


        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Samstoney View Post
          Hi Archer - IMO the best single size is a 20 and a 29. Buy the 20 first; make sure it's a decent one because when it comes time to sell it (after you buy your KH 29er) you'll end up wanting to keep it because its so much easier to take on car trips, and its the right size to convince your best friend to ride. In hindsight you'll find that buying the 20 to learn on was the smartest thing you've ever done.

          Also, IMHO as a relatively new rider (18 mos) - don't try to learn on grass, it was way harder for me and I hear that's typically the case. I was riding a mile or two in a couple of months; it was several months before I could do a loop around d the local soccer field.

          Sam

          Hello Sam.If he buys a Muni as I suggest, then surely the grass is best.With regard to cycling a 20" some distance, you are correct.The grass would be tiring. But for a beginner learning to mount and ride a few yards/metres,I would suggest the grass.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by unibokk View Post
            Hello Sam.If he buys a Muni as I suggest, then surely the grass is best.With regard to cycling a 20" some distance, you are correct.The grass would be tiring. But for a beginner learning to mount and ride a few yards/metres,I would suggest the grass.
            Personally, I find grass to be the most difficult surface on which to ride, because you can't see where it's soft or bumpy. It's nicer to fall on but harder to ride.

            Comment


            • #21
              Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I decided to go with a cheaper, more street oriented uni for my first purchase. I did go against most advice of getting a smaller wheel size and I got a street 29er but I like a challenge and everyone can say " I told you so" when I start posting about mounting issues. Here is what I went with:

              http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/ro...-unicycle.html

              I upgraded to the KH freeride saddle as suggested. I selected the standard 125mm cranks but also order the nimbus ISIS 150mm cranks to learn on that were on sale for $25. Im in a very hilly area so I may end up liking those better anyway. Cant beat that deal, and the reviews say this is a quality uni. The weight also appears to be rather low. Once I get proficient I will order myself a nice KH 26 MUNI with a 3" tire

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by darkarcher1690 View Post
                Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I decided to go with a cheaper, more street oriented uni for my first purchase.
                While it is cheaper than a KH, that's not exactly what most people had in mind. Still, at least one other person has learned on a 29" so get out there and practice!

                Comment


                • #23
                  It's possible to learn on a 29. "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine" as they say . I think the 150mm cranks were a good idea. Extra control is what you need at the beginning. Also make sure you have whatever padding makes you feel safe. Confidence helps. It's hard to commit to leaning forward and riding on your own when you're nervous about getting hurt. If you're not sure what to get, use the search box. There are lots of threads on the subject.

                  Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    If it's VERY hilly in your area, then use the long cranks.Be careful going down hill that the cycle doesn't pick up too much speed and throw you. You're going to have a job mounting it ,?especialy going uphill. A brake would be handy for control on steep hills!!! Hope this helps

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Ur
                      Originally posted by tholub View Post
                      Personally, I find grass to be the most difficult surface on which to ride, because you can't see where it's soft or bumpy. It's nicer to fall on but harder to ride.
                      Hello tholub. Iguess it's a question of preference.When I first learnt, it was on the grass with no support.I just made a small groove in the ground and slotted my tyre into it.That really helped to stabilise the wheel.And I learnt to freemount from the beginning.E ven when I bought my 36er,I did some hours on the grass before venturing onto the cycle path.
                      Learning on the grass surface with no railings or concrete to fall on just made me feel more confident. Some grass surfaces are not too bumpy.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Dont worry guys, what I lack in skill, I make up for in confidence. That should take me all the way until the box arrives on my doorstep anyway.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I should film this for all to see. "Crazy guy thinks he can free mount 29" unicycle with no previous experience." Come on, cant be that bad right?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by darkarcher1690 View Post
                            I should film this for all to see. "Crazy guy thinks he can free mount 29" unicycle with no previous experience." Come on, cant be that bad right?
                            What could go wrong?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              You'll be fine, sure it's harder to learn on a bigger wheel but realistically probaly only a few days difference at most. Oh yea, nice uni. Should do the trick for you for awhile, at least until the addiction kicks in

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by rockjunkie15 View Post
                                You'll be fine, sure it's harder to learn on a bigger wheel but realistically probaly only a few days difference at most. Oh yea, nice uni. Should do the trick for you for awhile, at least until the addiction kicks in
                                In a few years you will own all wheel sizes and a Schlumpf hub. Be prepared
                                36" KH Muni, 2.25" Racing Ralph, 137/165 Moments
                                29" Qu-ax MUni, 2.4" Racing Ralph, 145mm quax alu
                                24" Qu-ax MUni, 3.0" Gazza, 145 Qu-ax alu.
                                26" KH Guni, 2.25" Rocket Ron, zero, T bar

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X